For the GRE Test, the ETS, the conducting authority, has not set any particular GRE eligibility criteria or age limit for taking the test. However, the below given are generally implied GRE eligibility criteria. Therefore, all GRE 2021 aspirants need to check the criteria and meet the GRE 2021 eligibility criteria before applying.
GRE 2021 Eligibility Criteria
Even though ETS does not set GRE exam eligibility criteria, these are generally implied eligibility for the exam.
- Education Qualification: Fundamentally, as the exam is an assessment test for graduate courses, the applicants are expected to have at least an undergraduate degree. Under generally understood GRE exam eligibility, prospective graduates can also apply as the GRE Scores have the validity of 5 years.
- GRE Age Limit: The age limit for the GRE exam is that the applicant has to be at least 18 years old. Once an applicant takes up the exam and gets the GRE scores, he is expected to apply for the universities or business school on their own.
GRE Eligibility for Work Experience
The candidates preparing for the GRE exam are concerned about the requirement of work experience as the eligibility criteria, but this is not a strict criterion for the GRE exam. In addition, most of the students who apply for the GRE are undergraduates.
GRE Eligibility for Specially-Abled Candidates
The candidates with physical disabilities should not be worried about their eligibility as ETS assists such candidates in all forms. However, candidates must fill the form available in the bulletin and share it with the ETS.
GRE Score Eligibility for University
The GRE exam is taken up by the candidates seeking admission to MBA, MS, or LAW universities globally. There are no specific GRE requirements that the candidates need to fulfil. The universities may ask candidates to meet the below-mentioned criteria apart from the GRE qualifying score.
- Score in Undergraduate courses.
- Scores in language proficiency test like TOEFL and IELTS
- Project Quality
- Work Experience
- Letter of recommendation
- Letter of purpose
The average TOEFL score for the graduates is 86, and the average GRE score ranges from 150-152. For admission to top universities, the GRE eligible score is 320. Also, for a student to get a scholarship, a high GRE score is required.
Specific Requirements for the ID Proof
The most important thing to carry for the GRE test is valid ID proof (preferably a valid Passport). The details on the ID should match the details of the GRE application form, especially the name and date of birth. Candidates need to present their original ID at the GRE test centre with a recent photograph and signature. The ID verification process will include photo identification, biometric, thumb printing, comparison of signature or videotaping at the exam centre.
- This general understanding of GRE eligibility criteria requires aspirants to qualify and other norms set by the desired educational institution. So the aspirants should be thorough with the selection process of universities or business schools beforehand and make sure that they are eligible for the same.
- GRE At-Home Exam guidelines- While giving the GRE at-home test, the candidates should maintain and follow all the guidelines mentioned on the GRE website. The candidates should sit in a tabletop arrangement, and no unnecessary item should be present in the room. The examiner will check the test room via video call before the commencement of the exam, which is the vital GRE eligibility for the at-home test.
GRE Score Reports
- Score Recipients: The applicant can choose which universities or fellowship sponsors he/she wants to receive the scores. As part of the test fee, one can designate up to four score recipients.
- More Score Recipients: If the applicant prefers to send score reports later or send score reports to more than four recipients, they can send additional score reports for an additional fee.
- Since the identification(ID) document required to write the GRE test is the passport, the applicant must have a valid passport of their host country.
- The GRE test is mainly conducted for admission into the graduate level, postgraduate level and doctoral programs.
The candidate should also note that not all colleges and universities require the GRE Test Score for admissions. So the candidate should learn the admission process of the colleges he/ she wishes and apply to and then plan to take the GRE Test accordingly.
Types of GRE Exams
There are generally two types of GRE. The candidates take the test as per the requirement of their application. However, it is advised that the candidates carefully choose the type of test. Below find the details of both the tests.
- GRE General Test: Everyone can take this test, and the only condition is that the candidate should have an undergrad degree in any field. GRE General Test is a test of verbal reasoning, quantitative ability, and analytical writing skills. The general test is accepted by most of the universities, due to which most of the students take this test.
- GRE Subject Test: This test is to measure the candidate's knowledge in a particular subject area. There are different subject areas that the GRE would conduct the test. So the candidate has to have an undergrad degree in that particular area. The subjects for which the test is conducted are Biochemistry (Cell and Molecular Biology), Biology, Chemistry, Literature (English), Maths, Physics, and Psychology.
Register for GRE
The candidates need to register themselves on ETS by creating an account. Once the account is created, fill in the details and pay the fee and test date and centre. Below are the modes through which candidates can register for GRE.
- Online Registration: Candidates can register themselves online by creating an account on ETS.
- Mail Registration: Candidates need to fill the form online and print it to send it to the correspondence address and the fee.
- Phone Registration: Candidates need to contact the Regional Registration Center (RRC) in Gurugram, Haryana.
- Fax Registration: Candidates must complete the GRE application form and print it, Then send it to the fax number with the fee.