NISER primarily offers an M.Sc integrated program along with Ph.D and Integrated Ph.D program. In contrast, IISER offers a BS-MS integrated program along with M.Sc programs to its students.
The main comparison factor between NISER vs. IISER is that the NISER, located in Bhubaneswar, Orissa, is funded by the Department of Atomic Energy (DAE). In contrast, IISER, a group of 7 institutions, is funded by the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD). Both institutions are recognized as one the top colleges for M.Sc and Ph.D. programs in the field of science.
Table of Contents:
- NISER vs. IISER Overall Comparison
- Number of Institutes
- Courses and Fees
- Salary and Placements
NISER vs. IISER Overall Comparison
Both institutions are well-known amongst the student community to pursue their higher education in the field of science. But based on the comparison, the institution has a few differences based on the campus, the courses, the organizational structure and more.
|Full Form||National Institute of Science Education and Research||Indian Institute of Science Eduction and Research|
|Number of Campuses||1||7|
|Entrance Exams||National Entrance Screening Test (NEST)||JEE Advanced, IISER Aptitude Test (IAT)|
|Courses Offered||Integrated M.Sc, Ph.D||BS-MS, M.Sc, Ph.D|
NISER vs. IISER Overview
The NISER and IISER overview is described below:
National Institute of Science Education and Research (NISER)
The NISER full form is the National Institute of Science Education and Research. The NISER institution primarily offers Integrated M.Sc programs in Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Biology, Earth Science, and Chemical Science, and further, there are Ph.D., Integrated Ph.D. and M.Sc. in Medical and Radiological Physics Programme as well. Admission to NISER requires the students to write the NEST entrance examination.
Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISER)
The IISER full form is the Indian Institute of Science Education and Research. The IISER institution offers BS-MS (Bachelor of Science and Master of Science), a 5-year integrated program, M.Sc, and Ph.D. Admission to IISER requires the students to appear and pass the IAT or JEE Advanced exam.
NISER vs. IISER Number of Institutes
The students can know the names and number of institutions under NISER and IISER, respectively, from the table below.
|NISER Campuses||IISER Campuses|
|NISER Bhubaneswar||IISER Kolkata|
NISER vs. IISER Courses and Fees
The students can know the courses offered by NISER and IISER from the pointers and the table mentioned below.
The NISER Bhubaneswar, Orissa offers their students with the following courses and the average fees is Rs. 1,87,000 for M.Sc courses.
- M.Sc in Physics
- M.Sc in Chemistry
- M.Sc in Mathematics
- M.Sc in Chemical Science
- M.Sc in Earth Science
- M.Sc in Biology
- Integrated Ph.D
- M.Sc in Medical and Radiological Physics Programme.
The students can check the list of courses offered by IISER based on each campus location.
|IISER||Courses Offered||Average Fees (INR)|
|IISER Kolkata||B.Sc, M.Sc, Ph.D||80,000|
|IISER Pune||Integrated M.Sc, Ph.D||1,27,800|
|IISER Mohali||Integrated M.Sc, Ph.D||1,20,000|
|IISER Bhopal||Integrated M.Sc, Ph.D||3,34,000|
|IISER Thiruvananthapuram||Integrated M.Sc, Ph.D||2,00,000|
|IISER Tirupati||Integrated M.Sc, Ph.D||1,42,440|
|IISER Berhampur||B.Sc, Ph.D||49,200|
NISER vs. IISER Admission
The students can check the admission details of NISER and IISER from the pointers mentioned below for each institution, which will help them with the admission process.
NISER Admission Procedure
- Candidates need to qualify for the 10+2 level exam or any equivalent exam with at least 60% marks in aggregate from a recognized Board of Education in India.
- The minimum marks criteria for SC/ST/PwD category students would be at least 55% in aggregate.
- The candidates seeking admission to Integrated M.Sc. must appear and qualify in the National Entrance Screening Test (NEST), and the selection will be based on the NEST exam scores.
- The candidates seeking admission to the Ph.D. program must appear and qualify in the Joint Admission Test (JAM) or Joint Entrance Screening Test (JEST), and the selection will be based on the JAM or JEST scores.
- The selected candidates will be informed to report to the college on a particular date along with all the required documents and a seat allotment letter from the institution.
IISER Admission Procedure
- Admissions to BS-MS integrated degree programs are processed via Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana (KVPY), JEE Advanced and State and Central Boards Channel (SCB).
- The candidates applying via KVPY mode must have at least 60% in the 10+2 board exam or any equivalent boards with Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Biology or Computer Science subjects.
- The candidates must have a valid JEE Advanced rank and score to apply via the JEE Advanced mode.
- The SCB mode selection process is based on the IISER Admission Test (IAT) conducted by IISER.
NISER vs. ISER Salary and Placements
The major factor in studying in top institutions such as NISER or IISER is because of the core learning experience, the faculties, the salary package and the placement companies that recruit students based on their caliber.
|Highest Package||7 LPA||5 LPA|
|Median Package||5.2 LPA||3.2 LPA|
|Average Package||3.4 to 4.8 LPA||2.7 to 3.5 LPA|
|Top Recruiters||Indian Oil and Pharmacueticals Industry||Hindustan Unilever, Azim Premji Foundation, Zeus, Numerix, Shell, Chegg India|