NTA conducts an entrance exam called ICAR JRF/SRF in July every year. ICAR scores are accepted in all top universities across India. ICAR JRF/SRF aspirants could register for the exam from the third week of March, 2021. ICAR JRF/SRF is an exam conducted by ICAR for Junior and Senior Research Fellowship. ICAR JRF/SRF is conducted for candidates who are fascinated with research in the field of agriculture.
The ICAR JRF/SRF exam was successfully conducted on Sep 17, 2021. The date of the result declaration for the same will be announced by the NTA soon!
- Aug 20, 2021: The last date to apply for ICAR 2021 is extended to Aug 27, 2021. Visit ICAR Application Form for more information.
- Jul 25, 2021: The registrations for ICAR 2021 start today. Candidates who are interested in the exam may apply until Aug 20, 2021.
- What is ICAR?
- What is ICAR JRF/SRF (PGS) Exam?
- ICAR JRF/SRF 2021 Exam Date
- ICAR JRF/SRF 2021 Eligibility
- ICAR JRF/SRF 2021 Syllabus
- ICAR JRF/SRF 2021 Exam Pattern
- ICAR JRF/SRF 2021 Application Form
- ICAR JRF/SRF 2021 Hall Ticket
- ICAR JRF/SRF 2021 Exam Centers
- ICAR JRF/SRF 2021 Answer Key
- ICAR JRF/SRF 2021 Result
- ICAR JRF/SRF 2021 Cutoff Marks
- ICAR Selection Process
- ICAR JRF/SRF 2021 Counselling
- How to Prepare for ICAR JRF/SRF?
- Courses offered through ICAR JRF/SRF
What is the ICAR Exam?
ICAR stands for the Indian Council of Agricultural Research. The ICAR has its headquarters in Delhi. A fixed percentage of seats are reserved in ICAR affiliated agricultural universities through ICAR JRF/SRF 2021 exam only and ICAR provides a scholarship to the students as per the courses. The Indian Council of Agricultural Research is the apex body for coordinating, guiding, and managing research and education in agriculture including horticulture, fisheries, and animal sciences in the entire country.
- Universities Under ICAR: ICAR-AU system consists of a total of 75 Agricultural Universities (AUs) comprising of:
- 64 State Agricultural, Veterinary, Horticulture, and Fisheries Universities
- 3 Central Agricultural Universities (CAU Imphal; DR.RPCAU Pusa and RLBCAU, Jhansi)
- 5 Deemed Universities (DUs)
- 4 Central Universities (BHU, AMU, Viswa Bharati, and Nagaland University) awarding various kinds of degrees in different disciplines of agricultural, veterinary, and allied sciences.
What is ICAR AICE-JRF/SRF 2021 Exam?
ICAR JRF/SRF 2021 is conducted by the National Testing Agency (NTA). This exam is conducted for admission in Doctoral programs for junior and senior research fellowships. 25% of seats are reserved through ICAR JRF/SRF 2021 in agricultural universities under the ICAR-AU system. The student who gets admission through ICAR JRF/SRF 2021 will be awarded a fellowship in agricultural research based on their level i.e. junior or senior. ICAR JRF/SRF 2021 will be conducted as an online exam (CBT- Computer Based Test) and the counselling process will also be conducted in online mode. The following are the details of the scholarship provided to students who secure the scholarship.
- Postgraduates other than in Veterinary Science will get a scholarship of INR 15,000 per month (fixed) for the 1st and 2nd year and INR 17,500 per month for the 3rd year.
- Postgraduates in Veterinary Science will get a scholarship of INR 17,500 per month for the 1st and 2nd year and INR 18,750 per month for the 3rd year.
- A Contingent grant of INR 10,000 per year for procurement of essential chemicals, books, and travel connected with research work will be uniformly paid to all the awardees.
Given below are the highlights of the exam.
|Exam Name||ICAR JRF/SRF (PGS) 2021/ ICAR AICE-JRF/SRF (PGS) 2021|
|Full-form||All India Competitive Examination-Junior Research Fellow/Senior Research Fellow|
|Conducting body of AICE-JRF/SRF (PGS) 2021||ICAR (Indian Council of Agricultural Research)|
|AICE-JRF/SRF (PGS) 2021 Course||Doctorate (PhD.)|
|Programs||Agricultural, Veterinary, and Allied Sciences|
|AICE-JRF/SRF (PGS) 2021 Exam Level||National level|
|Mode of Examination||Online (Computer-based Test)|
|Exam Duration||2 hours|
|Marking scheme||Correct answer: (+1) marks, Negative marking-wrong answer: (-0.25) marks|
|Maximum marks||120 marks|
|ICAR Helpline||+91- 7835097766/67/68/69|
ICAR JRF/SRF 2021 Exam Date
The ICAR JRF/SRF 2021 Application form were announced on the official website of the conducting authority on Jul 25, 2021. Visit this section for regular updates. The ICAR JRF/SRF 2021 Exam dates have not been announced by the conducting officials yet. The dates related to the ICAR JRF/SRF 2021 exam are tabulated below.
|Availability of Application Form||Jul 25, 2021|
|Last date to submit the Application Form||Aug 27, 2021|
|Admit Card||To be announced|
|Exam Date||Sep 17, 2021|
|Announcement of Provisional Answer Keys||To be announced|
|Results||To be announced|
|Counselling||To be announced|
ICAR JRF/SRF 2021 Eligibility Criteria
The candidate should make sure that they fulfil the eligibility criteria set for ICAR SRF/JRF 2021 (PGS), before submitting their online application form. Given below are the eligibility criteria for students to be able to write the ICAR JRF/ SRF 2021 exam. Candidates must note that the eligibility criteria differs based on which fellowship the aspirant is taking up. The eligibility criteria for the junior research fellowship is quite different from the one expected for the senior research fellowship. Some of the general eligibility for both of them have been discussed in the section below.
Apart from applicants being Indian Nationals, they must have passed their Master's Degree program with a minimum of overall Grade Point Average (OGPA) from any recognized university in India in order to be considered for the AICE SRF/JRF (PGS). Candidates with a Bachelor's degree of 3 years, if already enrolled for a Master's degree may seek admission in PhD in respective ICAR-DU according to prescribed eligibility criteria.
- Candidates who have passed out from private universities which are not accredited by ICAR, are not eligible for the examinations whereas, students who have studied from private universities accredited by ICAR are eligible to take up the ICAR JRF/ SRF 2021 exam.
- The candidate must have completed their postgraduate degree in all respects and should have all the degree-completion requirements at the time of Counseling/admission in the university failing which they will not be considered for admission and the award of the fellowship.
Applicants must be at least 20 years of age as on July 01, of the year of admission. There is no relaxation allowed in the case of a minimum age limit for any category. Also, there is no prescribed upper age limit as it varies with the fellowship that is being taken up and the candidates category.
More details related to the eligibility have been discussed on the ICAR JRF/SRF 2021 Eligibility Criteria page.
ICAR JRF/SRF 2021 Syllabus
Candidates are advised to go through the syllabus of the course that they have opted for before they start their preparation for the ICAR JRF/SRF 2021 exam. Listed below are core topics from the syllabus in ICAR JRF/SRF 2021 Exam.
1. Genetics and Plant Breeding
- Unit 1: Economics Botany and Plant Breeding Methods
- Unit 2: Genome Organization and Cytogenetics of Crop Plants
- Unit 3: General Genetics and Plant Breeding
- Unit 4: Genetic Engineering and Biotechnological Tools in Plant Breeding
- Unit 5: Plant Breeding for Stress Resistance and Nutritional Quality
- Unit 6: Plant Genetic Resources and their Regulatory System; Varietal Release and Seed Production
- Unit 7: Quantitative and Biometrical Genetics
- Unit 8: Statistical Methods and Field Plot Techniques
2. Seed Science & Technology
- Unit 1: Seed Biology
- Unit 2: Seed Health
- Unit 3: Seed Industry Development and Marketing
- Unit 4: Seed Processing
- Unit 5: Seed Production
- Unit 6: Seed Quality Control
- Unit 7: Seed Storage
- Unit 8: Protection of Plant Varieties
3. Economic Botany & Plant Genetic Resources
- Unit 1: Biodiversity and Plant Genetic Resources
- Unit 2: Biotechnology in Plant Genetic Resource Management
- Unit 3: Economic Botany
- Unit 4: Exploration and Germplasm Collecting
- Unit 5: Exchange and Plant Quarantine
- Unit 6: Fundamentals of Molecular Biology for PGR Management
- Unit 7: Information Management in Plant Genetic Resources
- Unit 8: Plant Taxonomy
- Unit 9: Plant Biosecurity
- Unit 10: Principles and Practices of Germplasm Regeneration and Evaluation
- Unit 11: Principles and Methods of Germplasm Conservation
4. Plant Pathology
- Unit 1: Bacterial and Viral Diseases of Crop Plant
- Unit 2: Fungal Diseases of Crop Plants
- Unit 3: History and Principles of Plant Pathology
- Unit 4: Laboratory and Analytical Technique
- Unit 5: Mycology
- Unit 6: Management of Plant diseases
- Unit 7: Physiological and Molecular Plant Pathology
- Unit 8: Phanerogamic Parasites and Non-parasitic Diseases
- Unit 9: Plant Bacteriology
- Unit 10: Plant Disease Epidemiology
- Unit 11: Plant Virology
- Unit 1: History and Economic Importance
- Unit 2: Interactions of Nematodes with Soil Organisms
- Unit 3: Nematode Taxonomy and Morphology
- Unit 4: Nematological Techniques
- Unit 5: Nematode Ecology
- Unit 6: Nematode Physiology and Cytolog
- Unit 7: Nematode pests of crops
- Unit 8: Nematode Management
- Unit 9: Plant Nematode Relationship
- Unit 10: Statistics
6. Agricultural Entomology
- Unit 1: Biological Control
- Unit 2: Chemical Control and Toxicology
- Unit 3: Embryology, Internal Anatomy and Physiology
- Unit 4: Ecology
- Unit 5: Host Plant Resistance
- Unit 6: Honey Bees and Bee-keeping
- Unit 7: Helpful and Useful Insects
- Unit 8: Integrated Pest Management
- Unit 9: Insect and mite vectors of Plant Diseases
- Unit 10: Lac Insect
- Unit 11: Morphology
- Unit 12: Novel Approaches in Pest Control
- Unit 13: Pests of Horticultural Crops and their Management
- Unit 14: Pests of Stored Products and their Management
- Unit 15: Pests of Field Crops and their Management
- Unit 16: Pesticide Application Equipment
- Unit 17: Silkworms and Sericulture
- Unit 18: Systematics
- Unit 19: Statistics and Computer Application
- Unit 1: Mulberry and Silkworm Breeding
- Unit 2: Mulberry Crop Production
- Unit 3: Non-Mulberry Sericulture
- Unit 4: Silkworm Biology
- Unit 5: Silkworm Nutrition
- Unit 6: Silkworm Protection
- Unit 7: Silk Reeling Technology
- Unit 8: Silkworm Seed Cocoon and Egg Production
8. Plant Biochemistry
- Unit 1: Basic Biochemistry and Biomolecules
- Unit 2: Biochemistry of Food-grains, Fruits and Vegetables
- Unit 3: Enzymes, Vitamins and Hormones
- Unit 4: Intermediary Metabolism
- Unit 5: Molecular Biology
- Unit 6: Photosynthesis
- Unit 7: Plant Metabolic Processes
- Unit 8: Plant Molecular Biology
- Unit 9: Plant Biotechnology/Genetic Engineering
- Unit 10: Techniques in Biochemistry
9. Plant Physiology
- Unit 1: Abiotic Stress Responses in Plants
- Unit 2: Cell Organelles and Water Relations
- Unit 3: Crop Productivity and Modelling
- Unit 4: Climate and Climate Change
- Unit 5: Mineral Nutrition
- Unit 6: Metabolic Processes and Growth Regulation
- Unit 7: Morphogenesis, Tissue Culture, and Plant Transformation
- Unit 8: Plant Growth Regulators and Plant Development
- Unit 9: Physiology of Flowering and Reproduction
- Unit 10: Physiology of Horticultural and Plantation Crop Species
- Unit 11: Post-Harvest Physiology
- Unit 12: Phenomics
- Unit 13: Seed Physiology
10. Agricultural Biotechnology
- Unit 1: Biomolecules and Metabolism
- Unit 2: Cell Structure and Function
- Unit 3: Enzymology
- Unit 4: Gene Cloning
- Unit 5: Gene Expression
- Unit 6: Molecular Biology Techniques
- Unit 7: Molecular Genetics
- Unit 8: Molecular Biology
- Unit 9: Molecular Markers and Genomics
- Unit 10: Plant Molecular Biology
- Unit 11: Plant Genetic Engineering
- Unit 12: Tissue Culture
The ICAR JRF/SRF 2021 Syllabus is vast. Elaborate details on the topics are given on the ICAR AICE-JRF/SRF 2021 Syllabus page.
ICAR JRF/SRF 2021 Exam Pattern
It is important for students to have an idea of the ICAR JRF/SRF 2021 exam pattern while preparing. The exam pattern will give the candidates an idea of the distribution of marks and other details. The exam pattern for ICAR JRF/SRF 2021 exam has been tabulated below.
|Mode of exam||Online (CBT)|
|Duration||2 (120 min)|
|Exam Timing||9.30 AM to 12 PM|
|Total Number of Questions||120|
|Negative Marking||- 0.25 marks for every wrong answer|
ICAR AICE JRF/SRF 2021 Marking Scheme:
Candidates can go through the below details for ICAR JRF/SRF Marking Scheme :
|Subjects||Type of Questions||Marks|
|Section A||Questions will be based on general knowledge on the domain of Agriculture, Animal Husbandry, Fisheries, Allied Science, etc.||20 Marks|
|Section B||Questions are based on the core subjects of the course opted for.||50 Marks|
|Section C||Questions will be asked from the specialized subject opted by the candidate||50 Marks|
For more details on the type of questions asked and the marks allotted to each section, click ICAR AICE-JRF/SRF 2021 Exam Pattern.
ICAR JRF/SRF 2021 Application Form
The ICAR JRF/SRF 2021 Application Form is available on the official website from Jul 25, 2021 to Aug 27, 2021. The exam will be held on Sep 17, 2021. Before applying for the exam the candidates have to go through the ICAR JRF/SRF 2021 Eligibility Criteria. The ICAR JRF/SRF 2021 Application Fee for the General category is INR 1800 and for reserved categories (SC, ST and PWD), it is INR 900.
|General, Unreserved, OBC||INR 1800|
How to Register for ICAR JRF/SRF 2021?
The candidates can follow the steps given below to Register for ICAR JRF/SRF;
- Step 1: Go to the official website
- Step 2: Click on the New Registration link
- Step 3: And now click on proceed to Registration
- Step 4: Enter relevant details to complete the registration process.
How to Apply for ICAR JRF/SRF 2021?
After registration, to apply for ICAR JRF/SRF Exam, candidates can follow the Application procedure given below:
- Step 1: Go to the official website
- Step 2: Use the credentials to login which was given during Registration
- Step 3: Fill in all the details asked
- Step 4: Upload scanned images of Photograph, Signature, and Thumb impression
- Step 5: Application fee payment
Documents required to apply for ICAR JRF/SRF 2021
The candidates who are applying for ICAR JRF/SRF 2021 will require the following documents. Before starting the application process, applicants are advised to keep these documents handy.
- Marksheets of Class 10 and 12
- Degree mark sheet for PG students
- Scanned image file of Photograph, Signature, and Thumb impression
- A valid debit/credit/net banking for Application fee payment
ICAR JRF/SRF 2021 Hall Ticket
The candidates who have successfully submitted the application form for the ICAR Exam can download ICAR JRF/SRF Admit Card from the official website of the conducting authority. It will be available at least 10 days before the date of the exam. The ICAR JRF/SRF 2021 exam will be conducted soon and the candidates are advised to download the admit card as and when it is released on the official website. The candidates will not be allowed to take up the exam without the admit card. Along with the admit card, the candidates will also have to carry a government ID proof for verification purposes.
How to download ICAR JRF/SRF 2021 Admit Card?
The candidates can follow the steps given below to download the ICAR JRF/SRF Admit Card from the official website of the Conducting Authority:
- Step 1: Go to the official website of ICAR JRF/SRF.
- Step 2: Click on the admit card link.
- Step 3: Enter Registration number and Password to log in.
- Step 4: Download and take a printout of the admit card after cross-checking details on the admit card.
NOTE: The Candidates will have to attest a passport size photo and sign in the space provided.
ICAR JRF/SRF 2021 Exam Centers
The ICAR JRF/SRF 2021 Exam will be conducted in 86 cities across India. The candidates will be given a chance to choose the Exam center while filling up the Application Form. The candidates can choose any 4 cities from the options given. Once the Exam Center is allotted it will not be changed. Make sure to list it according to preference. The test centre and the Address will be given on the ICAR JRF/SRF Admit Card.
Check the complete list of ICAR JRF/SRF 2021 Exam Centres.
Documents required on ICAR JRF/SRF 2021 Exam Day
The candidates will have to carry the following documents to the ICAR JRF/SRF 2021 Exam Hall:
- Admit Card
- Government ID Proof (Aadhar Card, Passport, Driving License)
- Passport size photo
ICAR JRF/SRF 2021 Answer key
The conducting body will release the ICAR JRF/SRF 2021 answer keys a few days after the successful conduction of the ICAR 2021 exam. Candidates can cross-check their answers with the official website to get an idea about the possible score. Candidates also have an option of raising an objection in the answer key if they think the answer provided by the authority is wrong.
Candidates can follow the steps given below in order to view the ICAR 2021 answer keys
- Step 1: Visit the official website.
- Step 2: In the notification section, click on the ' Answer key' link.
- Step 3: Login using the credentials provided at the time of registration.
- Step 4: View and download the answer key pdf.
- Step 5: Take a printout of the answer key and cross-check it with your answers.
More details related to the ICAR JRF/SRF 2021 Answer key here.
ICAR JRF/SRF 2021 Result
The ICAR JRF/SRF 2021 Result will be announced by the conducting authority on the official website. Please note that the results can only be accessed online. To access their results, candidates will have to log in to the official website to check ICAR Results. Seats will be allotted based on Merit. It is advised that candidates take a printout of the Result for future reference.
How to Download ICAR JRF/SRF Results?
The candidates can follow the steps given below to download ICAR JRF/SRF 2021 Results from the official website:
- Step 1: Go to the official website
- Step 2: Click on the JRF/SRF Result link
- Step 3: Enter Login ID and Password
- Step 4: Click on Login Button
- Step 5: Download and take a printout of the Result
Selection to the desired programs for ICAR JRF/SRF is dependant on merit. Candidates will have to register for the counselling process on the official website by clicking on the appropriate link. Candidates will be intimated in advance about the venue and time when they are called for the counselling rounds of ICAR JRF/SRF 2021.
ICAR JRF/SRF 2021 Cutoff
The ICAR JRF/SRF 2021 Cutoff is the minimum marks a candidate has to score in the exam to get Admission into the course they have applied for.
The Cutoff list will be released along with the ICAR Result on the official website.
The ICAR Cutoff will be determined by considering various factors which are mentioned below:
- The total number of candidates who appeared for the Exam
- The level of difficulty of the Exam
- The number of seats available
- Previous year Cutoff trends
ICAR JRF/SRF 2021 Selection Process
The candidates who scored the minimum cut off marks will be called for the counselling process. Only eligible candidates will be given admission to the course they have applied for. Check the next section on ICAR JRF/SRF 2021 counselling to know more.
ICAR JRF/SRF 2021 Counselling
The candidates will have to register online for the ICAR JRF/SRF Counseling round. The candidate who qualifies the ICAR JRF/SRF 2021 Result can apply for counselling. The candidates are allotted seats based on the merit list. Given below is a list of original copies of documents that a candidate must carry on the day of counselling.
ICAR JRF/SRF 2021 Counselling Process
Candidates can follow the below process for ICAR JRF/SRF 2021 counselling process:
- Step 1: Registration: The candidates will have to register themselves on the official website if they wish to participate in the counselling process. They can do so by paying the registration fee, INR 800, online.
- Step 2: Choice Filling: After the registration process is completed, a candidate will have to log on to the website and select the choice of specialization as well as the university that they are interested in based on the marks they have secured.
- Step 3: Seat Allotment: Based on the preferred specialization, course, merit, and availability of seats, candidates will be notified via email on seat allotment.
- Step 4: Verification of Document: After the provisional admission letter has been downloaded, candidates will have to report to the university and submit the relevant documents. After the document has been verified, the candidate will receive their final admission letter.
Documents required for ICAR JRF/SRF 2021 Counselling
The documents the candidates are required to carry with them for the ICAR JRF/SRF 2021 counselling session is as follows.
|ICAR JRF/SRF 2021 Admit Card||ICAR JRF/SRF 2021 Scorecard|
|Marksheets of Class 10 and 12||Undergraduate Degree Certificate for PG students|
|Transfer Certificate||Category Certificate|
|Migration Certificate||Passport size photos|
How to Prepare for ICAR JRF/SRF 2021?
The candidates who are aspiring to write ICAR JRF/SRF 2021 can follow the important tips given below:
- Know the ICAR JRF/SRF 2021 syllabus thoroughly.
- Understand the exam pattern and the topics included.
- Make a timetable and map out a preparation plan as per their convenience.
- Invest in quality reference material and practice books.
- Practice until you are perfect using previous year's papers and mock tests that are available online.
- Prepare notes every time you study and refer to it when you are revising.
- For better results make sure you revise before the exam.
- For your exam day strategy, try to keep calm and focused, go according to a plan that is the most time-efficient for you.
Courses Offered through ICAR JRF/SRF 2021
ICAR JRF/SRF 2021 Exam has the following courses under its umbrella. The candidates can choose any of the following courses:
|PhD (Doctoral Programme)||Crop Sciences-I, II, III|
|Veterinary and Animal Sciences-I, II, III|
|Dairy Science, Dairy Technology and Food Technology|
|Agricultural Engineering and Technology|
|Community Science (Home Science)|
|Natural Resource Management-I, II|
|Agricultural Economics and Agri-Business Management|
ICAR Contact Details
The candidates can contact the conducting authority if they have any queries related to the ICAR JRF/SRF Exam:
|Address||Krishi Bhavan, Dr Rajendra Prasad Road, New Delhi, Delhi 110001, India|
|Phone/FAX||+91 1123382629/ 91-11-23384773|
What is the amount of scholarship received for JRF/SRF students?
Postgraduates other than in Veterinary Science will get a scholarship of INR 15000 p.m. (fixed) for 1st & 2nd year and INR 17500 p.m. (fixed) for the 3rd year. Postgraduates in Veterinary Science will get a scholarship of INR 17500 p.m. (fixed) for 1st & 2nd year and INR 18750 p.m. (fixed) for the 3rd year. A Contingent grant of INR 10,000 per year for procurement of essential chemicals, books, and travel connected with research work will be uniformly paid to all the awardees of ICAR JRF/SRF program.
What is the application fee for ICAR JRF/SRF Exam?
The ICAR JRF/SRF 2020 Application Form fee for General category is INR 500 and for reserved categories (SC, ST & PWD), it is INR 250.
If I make an error while filling out the application form, can I send in a second application form?
One applicant can send in only one ICAR application form. Multiple forms will either get rejected or cancelled. Take extreme care while filling out personal information in the application form.
I finished my 10+2 in the year 2017 and I am 21 years of age. Am I eligible to take the ICAR JRF/SRF (PGS) exam?
Your eligibility to apply for ICAR 2021 depends on if you obtained your Master\'s degree. Age-wise, the lower age limit is 20 years and there is no upper age limit.
I am from the OBC(NCL) category and I would like to apply for ICAR. I would like to know if there is any reservation for OBC(NCL) or for UPS Category.
There are no reservations for the scholarships for any candidates.
What are the age limits for ICAR JRF/SRF?
The candidate should be at least 20 years of age as of July 01, year of admission. There is no upper age limit.
Can I receive my ICAR 2021 admit card by post?
No, the admit card will not be sent to the candidates via post. You will have to download it from the official website – www.icar.org.in. Please carry a printout to the exam centre along with Government ID Proof, a photo attached to the admit card and duly signed.