History of Pondicherry University
Pondicherry University, established under an Act of Parliament in the year 1985, has grown from strength to strength in all possible ways all these years and has become a place on the educational hub of the country. 15 Schools, 37 Departments and 10 Centres offering 175 PG & Research programmes are within its fold and housed in the 800-acre sprawling Wi-Fi-enabled vibrant campus, which is just 12 kms. away from the Puducherry town.
It has all the state-of-the-art facilities in all the Schools and Departments paving the way for the students to have a student-friendly, result-oriented academic environment with green ambience.
The University has over 400 faculty and 6100 students from across the country on its rolls. There are over 45,000 students in its 87 affiliated colleges.
The twinning program concept is yet another innovation of the Pondicherry University’s Directorate of Distance Education. It envisages a tie-up between the Directorate of Distance Education, Pondicherry University and another College/Institution of repute. In this mode, the University enters MOU with prestigious institutes endowed with human and physical resources and good learning ambiance.
- These partner Institutions/Colleges are referred as TWINNING CENTERS of the Pondicherry University, DDE.
- The twinning centers organize all the important tasks on behalf of the University, viz; admission, the conduct of classes during weekends, semester examinations and liaisoning with the University in a more structured fashion under the strict supervision and guidance of the Pondicherry University.
- The marked difference between the conventional Distance Education Programs and the Twinning Program is that classes in the former mode are conducted for Eight days in a semester (Personal Contact Program) while classes are conducted more frequently during the evening hours and week-ends throughout the semester in the latter mode at the twinning centers.
Programmes offered under the twinning program:
- Master of Business Administration in Marketing- MBA (Marketing)
- Master of Business Administration in Finance - MBA (Finance)
- Master of Business Administration in International Business - MBA (International Business)
- Master of Business Administration in Human Resource Management - MBA (HRM)
- Master of Business Administration General - MBA (General)
Application Eligibility criteria
- Candidate must have passed/appeared for the Qualifying Degree Examination and secured the prescribed Minimum Marks in the Subject(s)/course(s)concerned as mentioned in the Brochure. and
- Candidate must have qualified at the common Entrance Test conducted by the University in the Academic year for which admission is sought. For administrative reasons, the University may conduct the entrance test before the publication of the results of the qualifying degree examination concerned. But qualifying at the Entrance Test alone does not confer a right of admission into a course. In addition to being qualified at the common Entrance Test, a candidate will be eligible for admission only if he/she passes the qualifying degree examination before the commencement of counseling for admission and secures the prescribed minimum marks in the subject(s)/course(s) concerned. He/She must submit the necessary documents at the time of counseling.
How to apply
- The applicants seeking admission can follow these simple steps :
- The applicants seeking admission can apply by filling the online application form available on the website
- The applicants seeking admission can register themselves to the Under Graduation courses by submitting the registration fee The applicants seeking admission can pay the registration fees through Credit Card or Debit Card or Net Banking.
- The applicants seeking admission are advised to take the printout of filled-in online application form.
- The applicants seeking admission must upload the following documents along with the filled in application form
Key facts about the university
- Teaching and research are its primary functions as in other Central Universities.
- It has affiliated colleges located in Puducherry, Karaikal, Mahé, Yanam and the Union Territory of Andaman & Nicobar Islands.
- The Pondicherry University Act, 1985, under the central government.... Pondicherry University reached the pinnacle of its growth during the XI plan when Prof J A K Tareen was the Vice Chancellor.
- It became India's fastest growing central university with 300% all round growth in Students, Faculty, Infrastructure, Teaching programmes, Research projects, and students seeking admissions.
- The Faculty are from 22 states and students from 30 states and union territories. Some of the Socially relevant achievements of XI plan are rent free hostels to girls, Free education and free hostels to all physically challenged, free transport to students,100% disabled friendly buildings and special library for visually challenged. In 2012 Prof Tareen received from president of India, the best Institution award for PU.
Department of the University
- Department of Banking Technology
- Department of Commerce
- Department of commerce karaikal campus
- Department of Economics
- Department of International Business
- Department of Management Studies
- Department of Tourism Studies
- Management Studies - Karaikal Campus
- Department of Mathematics
- Centre for Pollution Control and Environmental Engineering
- Department of Statistics
- Department of Computer Science
- Department of Computer Science- Karaikal Campus
- Department of Electronics Engineering
- Department of Applied Psychology
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Earth Sciences
- Department of Physics
- Centre for Bioinformatics
- Department of Coastal Disaster Management
- Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- Department of Biotechnology
- Department of Ecology and Environmental Sciences
- Department of Ocean Studies and Marine Biology
- Department of Food Science and Technology
- Department of French
- Centre for Foreign Language
- Department of Philosophy
- Department of English
- Department of Hindi
- Department of Sanskrit
- Escande Chair in Asian Christian Studies
- Department of Performing Arts
- MISARC - Centre for South Asian Studies
- Department of Sociology
- Centre for Study of Social Exclusion & Inclusive Policy
- Centre for Womens Studies
- Centre for Nano Sciences & Technology
- Department of History
- Department of Anthropology
- Department of Politics and International Studies
- Department of Social Work
- Department of Library & Information Science
- Centre for Green Energy Technology
- Address: The Registrar, Pondicherry University, Bharat Ratna Dr. B.R.Ambedkar Administrative Building, R.V.Nagar, Kalapet, Puducherry – 605014.
- Telephone Number: 0413 - 2655179
- Fax Number: 0413 – 2655734
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web site: www.pondiuni.edu.in