The paper-wise syllabus for UPPSC 2021 is arranged below. Candidates must go through the syllabus thoroughly. Below is detailed information on the UPPSC syllabus both for prelim and main examinations.
UPPSC Prelim Syllabus - Paper I
Current Events of National & International Importance
- On Current Events of National and International Importance, candidates will be expected to have knowledge about them.
Indian History: Ancient, Medieval, Modern
- In History, emphasis should be on a broad understanding of social, economic, and political aspects of Indian History. In the Indian National Movement, the candidates are expected to have a synoptic view of nature and character of the freedom movement, growth of nationalism, and attainment of Independence
Indian and World Geography: Socio-economic, Physical Geography
- In World Geography only a general understanding of the subject will be expected. Questions on the Geography of India will relate to the Physical, Social & Economic Geography of India.
Indian Governance and Polity
- Details of Indian Polity, Economics, and Culture, questions will test knowledge of the country's political system including Panchayati Raj and Community Development, broad features of Economic policy in India and Indian CulturePolitical System, Constitution, Public Policy, Panchayati Raj, Rights issues, etc. Social and Economic Development: Demographics, Sustainable Development, Poverty Inclusion, Social Sector initiatives, etc.Environmental Ecology, Climate Change, and Biodiversity General Science
Economic and Social Development - Sustainable Development, Poverty, Inclusion, Demographics, Social Sector Initiatives
- The candidates will be tested with respect to problems and relationship between Population, Environment, and Urbanisation. General Issues on Environmental ecology, Biodiversity, and Climate Change - that do not require subject specialization, General awareness of the subject is expected from candidates.
- Questions on General Science will cover general appreciation and understanding of Science including matters of everyday observation and experience, as may be expected of a well-educated person, who has not made a special study of any scientific discipline.
UPPSC Prelim Syllabus - Paper-II
- Interpersonal skills including communication skills.
- Logical reasoning and analytical ability.
- Decision-making and problem-solving.
- General mental ability ·
- Elementary Mathematics up to Class X level- Arithmetic, Algebra, Geometry, and Statistics. · General English up to Class X level.
- General Hindi up to Class X level.
Detailed UPPSC 2021 Mathematics Syllabus
- Arithmetic:- (i) Number systems: Natural Numbers, Integers, Rational and Irrational numbers, Real numbers, Divisors of an Integer, prime integers, L.C.M. and H.C.F. of integers and their Interrelationship. (ii) Average (iii) Ratio and proportion (iv) Percentage (v) Profit and Loss (vi) Simple and Compound Interests (vii) Work and Time (viii) Speed, Time and Distance
- Algebra:- (i) Factors of polynomials, L.C.M. and H.C.F. of polynomials and their Interrelationship, Remainder theorem, simultaneous linear equations, quadratic equations. (ii) Set Theory:- Set, null set, subsets, and proper subsets of a set, operations (Union, Intersections, difference, symmetric difference) between sets, Venn diagram.
- Geometry:- (i) Constructions and theorems regarding triangle, rectangle, square, trapezium, and circles, their perimeter, and area. (ii) Volume and surface area of a sphere, right circular cylinder, right circular cone, and Cube.
- Statistics:- Collection of data, Classification of data, frequency, frequency distribution, tabulation, cumulative frequency. Representation of data - Bar diagram, Pie chart, histogram, frequency polygon, cumulative frequency curves (ogives), Measures of Central tendency: Arithmetic Mean, Median, and Mode. General English up to Class
Detailed UPPSC 2021 General English Syllabus
- Active Voice and Passive Voice
- Parts of Speech
- Transformation of Sentences
- Direct and Indirect Speech
- Punctuation and Spellings
- Words meanings
- Vocabulary & Usage
- Idioms and Phrases
- Fill in the Blanks
UPPSC Mains Syllabus - PCS Exam Syllabus for Essay
In the three sections, the topics of the essay will be based on the following sphere.
- Section A: Literature and Culture, Social sphere, and the Political sphere.
- Section B: Science, Environment and Technology, Economic Sphere, and Agriculture, Industry, and Trade.
- Section C: National and International Events, Natural Calamities, Land slide, Earthquake, Deluge, Drought, etc. , National Development programs and projects.
UPPSC Mains Syllabus - PCS Exam Syllabus for Paper-I
- History of Indian Culture will cover the salient aspects of Art Forms, literature, and Architecture from ancient to modern times.
- Modern Indian history (from A.D.1757 to A.D. 1947): Significant events, personalities, and issues, etc.
- The Freedom Struggle- its various stages and important contributors/contributions from different parts of the country.
- Post-independence consolidation and reorganization within the country (till 1965A.D.).
- The history of the world will include events from the 18 century to the middle of the 20 century such as the French revolution of 1789, the industrial revolution, World Wars, redraw of national boundaries, Socialism, Nazism, Fascism etc-their forms and effect on society.
- Salient features of Indian Society and culture.
- Role of Women in society and women's organization, population and associated issues, poverty and developmental issues, urbanization, their problems and their remedies.
- Meaning of liberalization, privatization, and globalization and their effects on the economy, polity, and social structure.
- Social empowerment, communalism, regionalism & secularism.
- Distribution of major natural resources of World- Water, Soils, Forests in reference to South and South-East Asia with special reference to India. Factors responsible for the location of industries (with special reference to India).
- Salient features of Physical Geography- Earthquake, Tsunami, Volcanic activity, Cyclone, Ocean Currents, winds, and glaciers.
- Oceanic resources of India and their potential.
- Human migration-refugee problem of the World with a focus on India.
- Frontiers and boundaries with reference to the Indian sub-continent.
- Population and Settlements- Types and Patterns, Urbanization, Smart Cities, and Smart Villages.
- Specific knowledge of Uttar Pradesh – History, Culture, Art, Architecture, Festival, Folk-Dance, Literature, Regional Languages, Heritage, Social Customs, and Tourism.
- Specific knowledge of U.P.- Geography- Human and Natural Resources, Climate, Soils, Forest, Wild-Life, Mines and Minerals, Sources of Irrigation.
UPPSC Mains Syllabus - PCS Exam Syllabus for Paper-II
- Indian Constitution- historical underpinnings, evolution, features, amendments, significant provisions and basic structure, Role of Supreme Court in the evolution of basic provisions of Constitution.
- Functions and responsibilities of the Union and the States: issues and challenges pertaining to the federal structure, devolution of powers, and finances up to local levels and challenges therein.
- Role of the Finance Commission in Centre-State financial relations.
- Separation of powers, dispute redressal mechanisms, and institutions. Emergence and use of alternative dispute redressal mechanisms.
- Comparison of the Indian constitutional scheme with that of other major democratic countries.
- Parliament and State legislatures- structure, functioning, the conduct of business, powers and privileges, and concerned issues.
- Structure, organization, and functioning of the Executive and the Judiciary: Ministries and Departments of the Government, Pressure groups, and formal/informal associations and their role in the Polity. Public Interest Litigation (PIL).
- Salient features of the Representation of People's Act.
- Appointment to various Constitutional posts, Powers, functions, and their responsibilities.
- Statutory, regulatory, and various quasi-judicial bodies including NITI Aayog, their features, and functioning.
- Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design, implementation, and Information Communication Technology (ICT). 12- Development processes- the role of Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs), Self Help Groups (SHGs), various groups and associations, donors, charities, institutional and other stakeholders.
- Welfare schemes for vulnerable sections of the population by the Centre and States and the performance of these schemes, mechanisms, laws, institutions, and Bodies constituted for the protection and betterment of these vulnerable sections.
- Issues relating to the development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health, Education, Human Resources.
- Issues relating to poverty and hunger, their implication on the body politic.
- Important aspects of governance. Transparency and accountability, e-governance applications, models, successes, limitations, and potential, citizens, charters, and institutional measures.
- Role of Civil Services in a democracy in the context of emerging trends.
- India and its relationship with neighboring countries.
- Bilateral, Regional and Global groupings and agreements involving India and/ or affecting India's interest.
- Effect of policies and politics of developed and developing countries on India's interests- Indian diaspora.
- Important International Institutions, Agencies their structure, mandate, and functioning.
- Specific knowledge of Uttar Pradesh regarding Political, Administrative, Revenue, and Judicial System.
- Current affairs and events of Regional, State, National, and International importance
UPPSC Mains Syllabus - PCS Exam Syllabus for Paper III
- Economic planning in India, objectives, and achievements. Role of NITI Aayog, Pursuit of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- Issues of Poverty, Unemployment, Social justice, and inclusive growth.
- Components of Government Budgets and Financial System.
- Major Crops, Different types of irrigation and irrigation systems, storage, transport, and marketing of agricultural produce, e-technology in the aid of farmers.
- Issues related to direct and indirect farm subsidies and minimum support prices, Public Distribution System- objectives, functioning, limitations, revamping, issues of buffer stocks and food security, Technology missions in agriculture.
- Food processing and related industries in India- scope and significance, location, upstream and downstream requirements, supply chain management.
- Land reforms in India since independence.
- Effects of liberalization and globalization on the economy, changes in industrial policy, and their effects on industrial growth.
- Infrastructure: Energy, Ports, Roads, Airports, Railways etc.
- Science and Technology-developments and applications in everyday life and in National Security, India's Science and Technology Policy.
- Achievements of Indians in science & technology, indigenization of technology. Developments of New technologies, transfer of technology, dual and critical use technologies.
- Awareness in the fields of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) and Space Technology, Computers, Energy resources, nanotechnology, microbiology, biotechnology. Issues relating to intellectual property rights (IPR), and digital rights.
- Environmental security and Ecosystems, Conservation of Wildlife, Biodiversity, Environmental pollution and degradation, environmental impact assessment,
- Disaster as a Non-traditional security and safety challenge, disaster mitigation, and management.
- Challenges of International Security: Issues of Nuclear proliferation, Causes and spread of extremism, Communication networks, the role of media and social networking, Basics of cybersecurity, money laundering, and human trafficking.
- India's internal security challenges: Terrorism, corruption, insurgency, and organized crimes. 17- Role, kind, and mandate of security forces, Higher defense organizations in India
- Specific knowledge of Uttar Pradesh Economy:- Overview of UP Economy: State Budgets. Importance of Agriculture, Industry, Infrastructure, and physical resources. Human Resources and Skill development. Government Programmes and Welfare Schemes.
- Issues in Agriculture, Horticulture, Forestry, and Animal Husbandry
UPPSC Mains Syllabus - PCS Exam Syllabus for Paper IV
- Ethics and Human Interface: Essence, determinants, and consequences of Ethics in human action, dimensions of ethics, ethics in private and public relationships. Human Values-lessons from the lives and teachings of great leaders, reformers, and administrators, the role of family, society, and educational institutions in inculcating values.
- Attitude: Content, structure, function, its influence, and relation with thought and behavior, moral and political attitudes, social influence, and persuasion.
- Aptitude and foundational values for Civil Service, integrity, impartiality and nonpartisanship, objectivity, dedication to public services, empathy, tolerance, and compassion towards the weaker sections.
- Emotional Intelligence- concept and dimensions, its utility, and application in administration and governance. ·Contributions of moral thinkers and philosophers from India and the world.
- Public/Civil Service Values and Ethics in Public Administration: status and problems, ethical concerns and dilemmas in government and private institutions, laws, rules, regulations and conscience as sources of ethical guidance, accountability and ethical governance, strengthening of moral values in governance, ethical issues in international relations and funding, corporate governance.
- Probity in Governance: the concept of public service, the philosophical basis of governance and probity, information sharing and transparency in government. Right to Information, codes of ethics, codes of conduct, citizen's charter, work culture, quality of service delivery, utilization of public funds, challenges of corruption.
- Case studies on the above issues.
UPPSC Optional Subjects Syllabus
- Agriculture & Veterinary Science
- Defence Studies
- Political Science & International Relations
- Social Work
- Agricultural Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Arabic Lit.
- Hindi Lit.
- Persian Lit.
- Sanskrit Lit.
- Civil Engineering
- Medical Science
- English Lit.
- Commerce & Accountancy
- Public Administration
- Electrical Engineering
- Animal Husbandry