About Institute of Hotel Management Catering Technology and Applied Nutrition, [IHMCTAN] Chennai
The Institute of Hotel Management Catering Technology and Applied Nutrition, Chennai was established in 1963 jointly sponsored by the Government of Tamil Nadu and the Govt. of India at national Level as one of the Pioneer Institutes in India for imparting quality training in Three Year Diploma Course in Hotel Management and Catering Technology and also in various allied Craft Certificate Courses of 6 months duration. The Govt. of Tamil Nadu was closely associated with the institute since its very inception. The entire Recurring and Capital expenditure is funded by the ministry of Tourism, Govt. of India from 1.4.79. The Institute has recorded rapid growth, expansion and popularity in the past 50 years with senior management level employment for the students. At present Capital Grant only is funded by the ministry of Tourism, Govt. of India and from 1998-1999 Recurring Expenditure is self financed by the Institute.
Hotel and Catering is one of the largest industries employing lakhs of people. Holiday makers, business travelers, overseas tourists, visitors to theme parks and leisure centers, week end breakers, all travel away from home and create demand for food, accommodation and hospitality. Industrial catering, fast food centers, theme restaurants Clubs, Catering & Hotel Management establishment, self entrepreneurship and off shore catering in food products are other sectors in the catering industry which covers such large operations as health and education and airline and cruises operations.
Institute of Hotel Management, Chennai has provided high quality courses in Hotel & Catering for over 50 years and has excellent links with the industry and has made a name at global and national level providing personnel for the industry both at Home and abroad.
Our diploma holders are employed at home and abroad in management operations, consultancy, research and design for a variety of organizations which can range in size from multinational hotels, computer and leisure centers to independent restaurants, conference venues, tourism departments and up to even managering and liasoning.
The Institute/principal is a member of the following associations/institutions
- Federation of Hotels & Restaurants Association of India (FHRAI), New Delhi
- South India Hotel & Restaurants Association (SIHRA), Chennai
- Society of Indian Bakers, New Delhi
- Chennai Hotels Association, Chennai
- Tamil Nadu Tourism Development Corporation, Chennai
- Skall Club
- Hotels & Restaurants Approval Classification Committee, GOI
- State Institute of Hotel Management & Catering Technology, Trichy
- Institute of Hotel Management, Thiruvananthapuram
- Science City, Chennai
- All India Council for Technical Education, New Delhi
- Mentor of State Institute of Hotel Management & Catering Technology, Medak and Tirupathi.