Infrastructure Facilities at Indian Institute of Technology, [IIT] Chennai
- There are 18 independent hostels inside the campus. The hostels are named after the principal rivers of India and the IIT, Chennai dining facilities are named after mountains. Such as-
- Boys’ Hostels- Alaknanda, Ganga, Godavari, Narmada
- Girls’ Hostels- Saryu, Sabarmati
There are about 2 million books that cover all the disciplines of engineering, science, technology, humanities and social sciences.
- There are documents kept preserved like that of reports, standards, theses, books, patents, journal back volumes and atlases.
- In the non-book collection, there are audio and video cassettes, microfiche or film and of course CD-ROM discs. There is ‘Book Bank’ facility also. There are about 1,000 journals (scholarly journals) in the field of engineering, sciences and humanities.
- The institute subscribes to 32 e-books.
- It has been accredited with 9001:2008 quality standards by TUV Nord of Germany.
- The computer center was set up with the aim to provided computational atmosphere and conduction various researchers.
- National Program on Technology Enhanced Learning (NPTEL) has been set up with the collaboration with the Indian Institutes of Technology and the Indian Institute of Science that is funded by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India. Various web courses (129) were developed in the first phase. 110 courses are there in the video format.
Sports and Recreation:
- There are facilities for playing football, cricket, tennis and hockey.