As a consequence of requests from people’s representatives, local organizations, and general public, Government Women’s First Grade College, Ajjarkad, Udupi, was founded in the year 2003 to cater to the higher education needs of rural women, particularly the economically poor, and the underprivileged.
Initially, it was confined to a few rooms in the Govt. Junior College for Girls, Ajjarkad. Due to the continued efforts of the then MLA Sri U.R. Sabhapathi, the college could acquire 0.75 Acres of land near Mahatma Gandhi Stadium. The college started functioning in a newly constructed building with a total floor area of 12683 sq.ft. from November 2004.
The college, at its inception, had a student strength of 90 and offered B.A. and B.Com. degree courses. Sri RajashekharHebbar was the first principal of the college. The college gained momentum during the tenure of Sri ChandrashekharHebbar as principal. His unparalleled services helped the college to acquire better infrastructural facilities, thanks to the donors from various sections of the society.
In the past five years, the college has growninto a campus of over 1250 students under the dynamic leadership of Sri K. RaghupathiBhat, MLA, Udupi, and with the guidance of honourable minister for higher education Dr V. S. Acharya. Dr G. Shankar Family Trust has donated over `1crore for extending the collegebuilding.
Presently the college is offering Bachelor’s Degree in Arts, Business Management, Commerce, and Science. From the year 2010-11, the college has started post graduate studies in History, Political Science, Commerce, and Mathematics.