About Sri Mahaveera College, [SMC] Moodbidri
Sri Mahaveera College was founded by Academy of General Education, Manipal and Sri Mahaveera College Trust 1965, with the primary objective of providing University education in a rural atmosphere for deserving students, especially those belonging to the low Community. Although this college is meant primarily for rural area students, it admits other students irrespective of caste and creed.The college aims at training young men and women of quality to be leaders in all walks of life, whom we hope will play a vital role in bringing about the desired changes for the betterment of the people of our country, more particularly of the Dalits and other poorer and marginalised sections of society. The College trains young men and women to serve their fellowmen in Justice, Truth and Love.
The College began functioning at Samaja Mandira from 9th July 1965. Subsequently the then Government of Mysore sanctioned 16.6 acres of dry waste land at the outskirts of the town, in Kodangallu, at the request of Sri. Mahaveera College Trust. Now, the college stands magnificently in the same plot. Afterwards, the Trust purchased 3-6 acres of land adjacent to the land sanctioned by the government. The foundation for the first building was laid on 22nd February 1965 by Sri. Hirachand Lalchand of Walchand Group of Companies. The first building was inaugurated on 26th June 1966 by the then Honourable Chief minister of Mysore Sri S Nijalingappa. The main block was inaugurated on 8th November 1968 and on the same day the college playground was inaugurated
The Re-Structuring of curriculum both for PUC and UG courses has drawn great appreciation from the stakeholders, namely the Alumni, Parents, Industries and the general public. The system of periodical teacher-evaluation done by the students has also been welcomed by one and all. The students having access to the photocopy of their evaluated answer-script of Internal examinations vouchsafe for the academic transparency in Mahaveera. Parents-Teachers meetings organized in Mahaveera, ensure periodical monitoring of the progress of their children / wards.
A graduate of Sri Mahaveera College should be a responsible citizen with concern for other beings; competent to perform effectively; resourceful; confident and employable; with an open and progressive outlook and with a willingness to contribute to himself and to the nation.
Sri Mahaveera College will be a centre for learning and development, by not only organizing class room teachings, but also co-curricular and extra-curricular activities. The College will always keep itself open for all eligible students from all parts of country irrespective of caste, creed and religion. The College wishes to encourage women’s education, empowerment of women and overall development of women.
Why to Join Sri Mahaveera College, Moodbidri, Karnataka?-
- Infrastructure- The institute has excellent infrastructure. The computer lab is well equipped with software and hardware requisites. The library has an excellent collection of books and a reading room. There are sports facilities as well to encourage for sports and games.
- Accreditation- The institute has been accredited with Grade ‘A’ by the NAAC team.
- Research Centre- The institute understands the importance of research for the personal and mankind benefit. Hence the students are encouraged to pursue research.
- Scholarships- The institute provides the students with scholarship facility which belongs to SC/ST/BCM/BCT/BT classes. The fee concession is also given to the needy and those who are wards of ex –servicemen.
- Career guidance courses- The institute provides with career guidance courses by MT Educare, which is supported by Department of Minorities, Government of Karnataka.