Choosing a good business school has always been tough for the candidates, especially if the selection has been done in two top ones, like XLRI vs. FMS.
For the candidates aspiring to go into the management field, it is extremely important to choose the right business school. The most challenging step is when the candidate has two options of great colleges, XLRI vs. FMS. Both the colleges stand at their prestigious grounds with a well-known reputation, but what suits the student is what they have to decide. Before choosing the B-school, various factors should be kept in mind, such as fees, seat matrix, placements, etc.
Comparison between XLRI vs FMS
Admission is an integral part of a student’s life, more than that, admission to a well-accredited university is. Candidates should plan well and choose wisely before taking admission to any college. Education is the key to a better future. MBA/PGDM are renowned courses, which land up students in stabler places. Below are parameters expressing the difference between XLRI and FMS.
Admission to these two colleges is different from each other. They both have different selection criteria. Admission in XLRI is through XAT, Group Discussion, and Personal Interview, and in FMS, it’s through CAT, On the spot Speech, Group Discussion, and Personal Interview. Candidates can check the admission procedure of XLRI vs. FMS below.
XLRI admission is conducted based on the marks secured in an online test, XAT. After the XAT results are announced, the administration evaluates the candidate’s performance. The candidate who qualifies for the evaluation will be granted admission to various PGDM courses. There are a total number of 180 seats in XLRI. Candidates have to clear a sectional and overall cutoff. If they apply in more than one course, they will be called for multiple interviews and discussions. The XLRI admission process consists of two rounds, the first round is based on the XAT score, and the second round is based on the GD and PI. Candidates are judged on various factors, such as:
- Candidate’s performance in the exam
- General Knowledge
- Essay Writing
- Group Discussion
- Work Experience
FMS admission is through CAT. The candidate who qualifies the selection rounds will be granted admission to various MBA and Doctoral programs. The seats in FMS increased from 200 to 275 this year. The candidate has to go through two rounds, the entrance exam for FMS admission, and then they will be selected for the second round, which comprises of the following:
- Extempore Speech
- Group Discussion
- Personal Interview
- SSC (class 10th) academic profile
- HSC (class 12th) academic profile
2. Courses Offered
Both the colleges are known for their excellent academic performance. XLRI and FMS offer various courses for postgraduate students. Candidates can check below the courses offered by both XLRI and FMS.
XLRI provides different postgraduate diploma courses, which can be checked below.
- PGDM in Global MBA: PGDM stands for Postgraduate Diploma in Management. PGDM in Global MBA is a specialization diploma course with a duration of 15 months. The course helps the students in international management.
- Masters Program in Positive Organisation Development and Change: This course helps individuals bring positive change in diverse management spheres. It helps in aligning the organizational strengths by bringing out sustainable value. The XLRI course brings out great leaders who want to create change and design in the management sector.
- Postgraduate Diploma in Business Management: A postgraduate diploma in Business Management focuses on the managerial principles and betterment of business strategies. The candidates are well prepared for the challenges in this sector. It values the financial market and manages the profits of the company.
- Postgraduate Diploma in General Management: The course is a leadership program that helps students tackle the challenges of senior management. It brings out professional skills, such as Leadership qualities, Marketing Skills, Finance, and Strategy. General business owners and workers can take up this course for more rigorous career advancement.
- Postgraduate Diploma in Human Resource Management: It is a 1-year program that helps students develop effectively in the human resources sector. The XLRI course includes developing skills, such as Managerial Economics, Performance Management, Human Resource Development, etc. This course is valuable for candidates who want to start their career in Human Resources.
- Executive Diploma in HRM (Corporate Program): It is a type of executive program. Candidates already from the corporate sector can go for this course. The course provides knowledge of Industrial Relations and Organ Structure Design. It also develops our statistics and methodology skills. The duration of the course is 16 months.
FMS provides courses under Management programs and Doctor of Philosophy. Candidates can check the details of the courses below.
- MBA: MBA, Masters in Business Administration, is a postgraduate course that allows the students to get better in the management sectors. The MBA program is open to students of all streams. This FMS course has various specializations under it. The duration of the course is 2-years.
- Executive MBA: An Executive MBA is a part-time course for working officials who can work and study management. The FMS course helps those students to upgrade their management skills and adapt to the work environment. Executive MBA has got a lot of popularity recently.
- Executive MBA in Healthcare Administration: This program is a 2-year full-time course, which allows the students to develop their skills for the healthcare management industry. Candidates are taught various techniques and skills for the healthcare sector. They are well prepared for the operations and Human Resource management in it.
- Doctor of Philosophy: Ph.D., or Doctor of Philosophy, is a high-level degree secured after graduation. It is a theology-based course and involves great research and thesis making. It is an excellent field of academics. Many times, candidates with good and innovative research have their thesis published. The duration of the FMS course can be of three to five years, or even more.
3. Eligibility Criteria
For admission to these two prestigious universities, the candidate has to qualify for the following eligibility criteria.
XLRI Eligibility Criteria
All XLRI admission to the courses is based on the eligibility that the institute sets. The main eligibility criteria for XLRI is mentioned below.
- The candidate must have a bachelor’s degree of three or more years from a recognized university and board.
- All Indian candidates have to apply and qualify for the XAT exam.
- Foreign Nationals have to appear and qualify for the GMAT or XAT exam.
- Work experience is mandatory for Business Management and HRM courses.
FMS Eligibility Criteria
A candidate seeking FMS admission must fulfill the minimum requirements necessary. The eligibility criteria for FMS is mentioned below.
- The candidate should have a bachelor’s degree in any stream from a recognized board or university.
- They must have scored a minimum of 50% marks in their qualifying examination.
- The candidate should qualify for the CAT exam with the required percentile.
- Candidates awaiting their bachelor’s degree results can also apply.
4. Selection Requirements
The candidate has to go through various components of the section in the admission rounds to qualify and get admission to these universities. The universities consider various sections of the candidates for the selection process, as mentioned in the above sections. Candidates can check the distribution and weightage of these components below.
XLRI Selection Requirements
XLRI admission is made in different steps. Weightage during XLRI admission is given only to a certain percentage of students, as discussed in the table below.
|Group Discussion (GD)||20%|
|Personal Interview (PI)||20%|
|GK (General Knowledge)||5%|
|Records and Work Experience||5%|
FMS Selection Requirements
The selection requirement for FMS admission is different from that of XLRI. The selection requirements of various courses in FMS are mentioned below.
|Personal Interview (PI)||15%|
|Group Discussion (GD)||10%|
|SSC (class 10th) academic profile||5%|
|HSC (class 12th) academic profile||5%|
5. Campus Placements
The most important comparison between colleges depends upon the placements it offers. Candidates aim to get into good management colleges to have a fruitful placement to better their future. Placements and companies play an integral part in any college. Candidates can have an insight below of the placements the two colleges offer.
XLRI placement includes an average package of INR 20.1 lakhs per annum. The number of companies that visit the campus is 132. XLRI has an excellent list of companies that offer placements to students. Candidates can check below the placement offering companies:
- Ernst and Young
- HUL (Hindustan Unilever Limited)
- Boston Consulting Group
- Bank of Singapore
- Reckitt Benckiser
Every year FMS placements are offered to students with an average package of INR 21.1 lakhs per annum, and the highest package range is around INR 55 lakhs per annum. The number of companies that come to visit the campus to offer placements to students is 83. Candidates can check below the placement offering companies.
- Yes Bank
- Indian Oil Corporation Limited
- Bennett Coleman and Corporation Limited
- Hindustan Unilever Limited (HUL)
Details on XLRI
XLRI stands for Xavier Labour Research Institute but is famously known as Xavier School of Management. The institute is located in Jamshedpur, Madhya Pradesh. XLRI is a catholic affiliated institute. It is a renowned institute for its research studies and academics.
It is known for its various PGDM courses. The admission in XLRI is through XAT (Xavier’s Aptitude Test). XLRI is approved by AICTE. According to Business Today ranking, XLRI stands at the 3rd position. The fees range of XLRI is INR 20 lakhs approximately.
Read More: XLRI Jamshedpur
Details on FMS
FMS stands for the Faculty of Management Studies. The institute is located in New Delhi, India. It is affiliated to the University of Delhi. It is one of the oldest business schools in India and has always been on the wishlist of every MBA aspirant.
The institute was established in 1954 in Delhi University Administration. FMS is considered the best option by candidates because of its excellent academia and low fees structure. The admission in FMS is through CAT (Common Admission Test). FMS is approved by UGC. Business Today ranked FMS in the 7th position. The fee range of FMS is approximately INR 20,960.
Read More: FMS Delhi
XLRI vs. FMS Deduction
The discussion on XLRI vs. FMS can be concluded with some factors regarding both. Both colleges have a brand name of their own and come under the top business schools. They have created a legacy for the business management of ambitious students. It is of utmost importance to know about the college you aspire to go to beforehand. Candidates can check below some of the factors which will help them be clearer about the XLRI vs. FMS topic.
- Both XLRI and FMS come under the top 10 business schools.
- Both the institutions have highly qualified faculty from all over India and abroad.
- FMS stands in a better position with a very affordable fee structure for the fee structure, as it comes under DU administration. In contrast, XLRI is a private Business school.
- The seats are very few in FMS as compared to XLRI.
- Both of these colleges have a decent reputation with notable alum
POST YOUR COMMENT