The Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology, [IIEST] Shibpur is a premier public engineering institution located at Howrah district, West Bengal. It is recognized as an Institute of National Importance under Ministry of Human Resource & Development [MHRD] by the Government of India along with IITs and NITs. It has also been recognized as National Institutional Ranking Framework [NIRF].
The Vision of Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology, Shibpur is to become one of the best Institutes in the world in providing the state-of-the-art infrastructure, multi-disciplinary research ambiance that will usher innovative ideas world-class technologies developed towards realizing the goal of Development of country.
It functions as an institute of higher learning and advanced research. The prime activities include creation and distribution of knowledge, producing skillful engineers, scientists and enthusiastic entrepreneurs of highest quality equipped with latest technologies and developing innovative technology solutions for the cause of the society.
Established in 1856, it has an outstanding campus ambiance and hence, learning environment. The unmatchable education offered at the institute attracts students from all over India and creates keen interest amongst students for IIEST Admission.
Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology, [IIEST] Howrah Quick Links:
Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology, [IIEST] Howrah Highlights:
Year of Establishment
Type of Institution
Institute of National Importance under Ministry of Human Resource & Development [MHRD] by the Government of India
National Institutional Ranking Framework [NIRF]
Hostel, Auditorium, Central Library, Medical, Computer Center, Sports Complex
Botanic Garden, Howrah, West Bengal-711103
Undergraduate, Postgraduate, Doctorate
IIEST Fee Structure
Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology, [IIEST] Howrah Rankings:
- Institute ranked 21st among engineering colleges of India by National Institutional Ranking Framework [NIRF] and overall 44th ranked in 2018.
- Institute was ranked 19th among engineering colleges in India by The week in 2017.
Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology, [IIEST] Howrah Placements:
- Highest salary package offered is 39.12 LPA in 2017-18.
- 90 companies visited the campus for placements in 2017-2018.
- Institute-Industry partnership cell helps to develop strong bonds between the industry and institution.
- Some of the top recruiters are Maruti Suzuki, Microsoft, HSBC Technologies, Hyundai Motors, etc.
- Some of the undergraduate courses with the highest number of students placed are Information Technology, Computer Science and Technology, and Mechanical Engineering.
- Some of the postgraduate courses with the highest number of students placed are Very-large-scale integration [VLSI], Computer Science and Technology, and Integrated Chemical Engineering.
Tagor Center for Green Technology Business Incubation [TCGTBI]:
- It is a society registered under the Societies Registration Act, 1860 is set up to promote innovation and entrepreneurship by converting and translating technology ideas and innovation in various disciplines of science and engineering into products without harming the nature, processes, and services for commercial exploitation and the benefit of society.
- To accomplish its goal, TCGTBI runs and manages a Business Incubator at IIEST, Shibpur to facilitate new enterprises with innovative technologies by providing the necessary physical, technical and networking support, and services.
Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology, [IIEST] Howrah Infrastructure:
- Library: The area of the library is 3,000 sq meters. It has the collection of 158,000 books and 41,000 bound volumes of journals, and a collection of documents, such as patents, case study, research paper standards, etc.
- Computer Center: It primarily caters for the computing needs of UG and PG curriculum. There are two laboratories: Lab-I and Lab-II, each equipped with 30 nos. of Pentium 4 pcs.
- Hospital: The Institute has a hospital to cater to the needs of the college campus with medical officers and other supporting staff. It provides 24 hours ambulance service.
- Guest House: The College has one Guest House inside the Campus having Ten Double-bedded A.C. Room and Two Single-bedded A.C. Room and it has an A.C. Lounge.
Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology, [IIEST] Howrah Schools:
- Purabi Das School of Information Technology.
- Dr M. N. Dastur School of Material Science & Engineering.
- School of Management Science.
- School of Community Science & Technology.
- School of Disaster Mitigation Engineering.
- School of Ecology, Infrastructure & Human Settlement Management.
- School of Mechatronics & Robotics.
- School of Safety & Occupational Health Engineering.
- School of VLSI Technology.
Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology, [IIEST] Howrah Departments:
- Aerospace Engineering and Applied Mechanics
- Architecture, Town and Regional Planning
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science and Technology
- Electrical Engineering
- Earth Sciences
- Electronics and Telecommunication
- Humanities and Social Science.
- Human Resource Management
- Information Technology
- Mechanical Engineering
- Metallurgy and Materials Engineering
- Mining Engineering
Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology, [IIEST] Howrah Research:
- Sophisticated Analytical Instrument Facility [SAIF]: The prime objective of establishing these centers is to provide data collection facility from sophisticated analytical pieces of equipment to the scientific community for their advanced research with nominal charges. It installed three major instruments namely, Single Crystal X-ray Diffractometer, NMR, and High-Resolution Mass Spectrometer have been approved by DST. College also installed The Single Crystal X-ray Diffractometer which running successfully.
- Central Research Facility [CRF]: The central Research Facility has been created with the key commitment of providing high and advances instrumental facility and scientific services required to support and raise the level of research contribution at par with international standards.
There is some research which is done by college students are given below:
- Interactions of Intrinsically Disordered proteins: A Physics-based Approach.
- Graphene and its composite as the solar sponge for water- splitting.
- Transmission Dynamics and Spread of Infectious diseases: Modelling, Prediction, and control.
- Development of suitable slime waste management systems for sustainable iron mining in India.
- Fabrication of Honey-based Biodegradable Scaffold for Ex-vivo Expansion of Mesenchymal Stem Cells.
- Remote Health: A Framework for Healthcare Services using Mobile and Sensor-Cloud Technologies.
- Ergonomic Analysis of Job Heaviness and Development of Musculoskeletal Disorder for Selective Underground Coal Miners of India.
- Development of Model Synthetic Leaf to Harvest Light.
- Tandem isobenzofurans formation – Diels-Alder reactions: Applications to the synthesis of biologically active aromatic heterocycles
- Biofabrication with functional poly(amino acid) hydrogels towards the development of bioengineered tissue constructs and biocompatible medical device.
Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology, [IIEST] Howrah Cells and Centers:
- Quality Improvement Programme [QIP]: The programme is funded by AICTE and provides opportunities for teachers sponsored by AICTE approved Engineering Colleges to improve their qualification by acquiring M.E. and Ph.D. degrees from some of the reputed institutions in the country.
- Continuing Education Programme [CEP]: It coordinates the various Continuing Education Programmes of this University. Besides University formal course structure and education system, it continuously explores the opportunity for providing knowledge to the people outside the domain of University formal education structure.
- Centre for Healthcare Science and Technology: It has been introduced in the year 2010 with an objective to provide interdisciplinary research and training programs enclosed in the fields of modern biology, medicine, engineering, chemistry, physics, and mathematics, etc. to solve important and persistent problems related to people health in the society.
- Centre of Excellence for Green Energy and Sensor Systems: It started functioning as a seat of multi-disciplinary research and education in 2009. This center aims at providing quality education to meritorious undergraduates with the keen interest in both the fields of green energy and sensor systems. It is closely associated with industry and several national and foreign academic institutions of repute with an aim to encourage cutting-edge research and establish ourselves as a leader in this field.