More information on short courses in Canada such as certificate, diploma courses, acceptance rate, programs, fees, duration and admission requirements.
Short term courses in Canada are one of the best options available for international students willing to study in a foreign country but are unable to stay a long time. Short courses in Canada are offered in various fields of study, including human resources management, business administration, software engineering, global logistics management, etc.
In Canada, short term courses are among the popular alternatives for international students worldwide due to its short duration, career-oriented curriculum, affordable fees, flexible entry requirements, and immigration process for students of different nationalities. There are several top Canadian universities that provide short-term online courses as well. Online short courses in Canada offer remote study options to international students and helps them in gaining unique skills in a short period.
Short courses for international students in Canada are offered at some of the popular Canadian universities such as Humber College, Toronto School of Management (TSoM), ABC Business Academy, etc. Some of the best short courses in Canada for international students are engineering, administrative studies, architecture, economics, business, etc. There is no option for international students to pursue the best short term courses in Canada for PR (Permanent Residency). A minimum of 2 years of study at any Canadian university, along with valid work experience, may lead to a permanent residency for international students.
Table of Contents
- Cheap Short Courses in Canada for International Students
- Best Colleges in Canada Offering Short Courses for International Students
- Types of Short Professional Courses in Canada
- Why Study Short Courses in Canada?
- Admission Requirements for Short Term Courses in Canada for International Students
- Short Term Training Scholarship in Canada for International Students
Cheap Short Courses in Canada for International Students
Short term courses in Canada are much more affordable than regular undergraduate and graduate degree programs for international students. The following are some of the short courses in Canada available to international students:
Human Resources Management Certificate
A short-term course in the field of human resources management is a great option for international students in Canada. It is a seven-month course offered by York University's School of Continuing Studies.
This program will provide you with a deeper understanding of human resources. It is an essential skill that could get you hired anywhere in the world. The HR management course covers the following aspects:
- Labour relations
- Health and safety
- Organizational behaviour
- Human resource management
The MacEwan University of Continuing Studies offers professional communication courses in Canada. A top professional course in Canada, it will teach you important principles of communication and interrelationships. The communication course contains the following modules:
- Strategy analysis
- Evaluation of solutions
- Life cycle management
- Business analysis
- Business planning
- Basics of project management
In Canada, short-term business courses are very popular among international students. It is an eight-month course offered at York University School of Continuing Studies.
As a result of taking this course, you will learn how to be an effective business leader. You will gain valuable insights into how businesses work from the inside out. The topics covered by the business administration course are listed below:
- Business introduction
- Functions of business
- Business communication
- Accounting and analysis
- Basics of project management
Global Logistics Management
It is a one-year program offered at the MacEwan School of Continuing Studies. The course is considered to be one of the best professional logistics courses in Canada.
This course will give you a basic understanding of logistics procedures around the world. Here are the modules covered by the global logistics management course:
- Supply chain management
- Infrastructure of logistics
- International trade
- International logistics
- Product control
- Inventory control
- Risk management
In case you do not have the funds to study abroad, you still have the chance to receive the necessary knowledge and certification through Edx, one of Canada's leading online education providers.
The University of British Columbia offers this course. This university is trusted by over 12 million users worldwide. There is no cost to take the course, and it lasts only 42 days. Given below are the modules covered by the software construction course:
- Java programming
- How to build a logical software system
- How to test data abstraction
Students from abroad can enroll in a cheap French language course in Canada. You can learn French online by interacting with native speakers through this one-year course offered by Athabasca University. If you wish to learn French in order to gain employment, then this is the perfect option for you. The French language course covers the following:
- French language composition
- French language – first university year
- French language – second university year
- French pronunciation
The software engineering course is another great short-term course offered by EdX. The course is offered by the University of British Columbia, and its duration is 42 days. Through this course, you will learn the fundamentals of software engineering. The software engineering course covers the following aspects:
- Building a non-trivial software system
- Functions and technical specifications of the software system
- Designing and testing of the software system
- Refactoring and building a quality system
The cost of short courses in Canada varies for the universities of different Canadian provinces. The cost of living in the Canadian province is low in addition to the tuition fees of the university offering cheap short courses in Canada for international students. The average tuition fees for short courses in Canada start from $2000 per academic year. The cost of studying short term courses in Alberta colleges is more affordable than any other college in other Canadian provinces. Given below are some of the universities offering cheap short courses in Canada for international students along with the average tuition costs.
|Canadian Province||Average Tuition Fee|
|Quebec Colleges||$12,360 - $19,160|
|Alberta Colleges||$9,750 - $26,560|
International students are also required to bear the cost of living and the tuition fees for the different short term courses in Canada. The living expenses include the cost of accommodation, dining, health insurance, books and supplies, transportation, incidental fees, and other additional costs. The estimated living expenses for the different Canadian provinces are as follows:
|Canadian Province||Estimated Living Costs|
|Alberta||$15,060 - $18,060|
Best Colleges in Canada Offering Short Courses for International Students
Short term courses such as certificate and diploma courses are offered at public colleges, community colleges, Vocational colleges (CEGEPs), and SPP Colleges in Canada. Listed below are some of the top colleges in Canada offering short term courses for international students from all over the world.
- Northern Alberta Institute of Technology (NAIT)
- British Columbia Institute of Technology (BCIT)
- Conestoga College
- Southern Alberta Institute of Technology (SAIT)
- Algonquin College
- University of Alberta
- Seneca College
- Humber College
- Toronto School of Management (TSoM)
- University of Montreal
Types of Short Professional Courses in Canada
Short courses in Canada are offered in the form of a diploma and certificate course for international students. The short professional courses in Canada focus on a specific specialization and help the students become industry-ready. The duration of a certificate course in Canada is for a maximum of 1 year, and a diploma course may take 2-3 years to complete. Short certificate courses in Canada of up to 6 months duration are also available at some Canadian universities. The different types of short term courses in Canada are explained in detail below:
- Post-secondary diploma/ Certificate: International students who have completed their secondary education can apply for a post-secondary diploma/ certificate. Specific certificate courses are offered to students who have completed their high school studies. The general duration of a diploma course in Canada is up to 2 years. Still, it may extend to 3 or 4 years, depending on the program's type and the respective Canadian university.
- Post-graduate Diploma/ Certificate: A PG diploma in Canada is an extension of an undergraduate degree program. The duration of a PG diploma in Canada is one year and comprises 2-3 semesters. PG diploma courses are flexible and accept 3-year undergraduate degree programs for admission.
Why Study Short Courses in Canada?
Short time courses in Canada are preferred by international students who are unwilling to stay in Canada for a long time. Several short professional courses in Canada are available for both domestic and international students. International students prefer short term courses in Canada, mainly due to its affordability and short duration compared to other masters programs in Canada. Listed below are some other reasons for international students to pursue a short term course in Canada.
- The average duration of short-time courses in Canada is 2 years, except for engineering courses that can take up to 3 years to complete. This time duration is shorter than undergraduate degree programs in Canada that can take up to 4 years.
- The curriculum of short term courses in Canada for international students is job-oriented. It involves more practical training and is career-specific compared to degree programs that are academically excellent but fall short in the practical aspect.
- The average tuition fees of short term courses in Canada for international students starts at $2000 per academic year. This amount is much more affordable than the average tuition cost for an undergraduate degree in Canada, ranging between $18,000- $20,000 per year.
Admission Requirements for Short Term Courses in Canada for International Students
The admission requirements for the various diploma and certificate programs in Canada vary based on the Canadian province. Different provinces have their own online application portal through which international students can apply after paying the required application fee. Certain Canadian universities have individual application portals for international admissions. Students can apply for multiple short courses per college based on their requirements. Some of the academic and other admission requirements for international seeking admission to short term courses in Canada are given below:
- International students are required to submit their official academic transcripts of all the previous years of education. Students willing to enroll in PG diploma are required to have a bachelor's degree in any field of study.
- Both original and translated copies of transcripts should be submitted. Certified copies of original transcripts are also accepted by some Canadian universities.
- International students seeking admission to Vocational colleges should submit their birth certificate. Students below 18 years of age are also required to submit parental consent for pursuing studies in Canada.
- International students are required to prove English language proficiency through tests such as TOEFL, IELTS, PTE, etc.
- International students seeking admission to Canadian universities with French curriculum are required to submit French language proficiency by submitting certificates such as Bright, DALF, TEF, etc.
- Immigration documents along with a Canada study permit is required for admission to various certificate and diploma courses in Canada exceeding 6 months duration. For courses with duration of less than 6 months, international students can submit a temporary Canadian student visa.
Short Term Training Scholarship in Canada for International Students
The cost of living in Canada is affordable as compared to other top countries such as the UK and the US. However, the living expenses along with the tuition costs may become an expensive affair for international students. Several short term training scholarships in Canada are available for international students with financial need. The scholarships for short courses in Canada may provide partial or fully funding scholarship and cover some of the costs such as living expenses, tuition fees, incidental costs, and other related expenses. Given below are some of the short term training scholarships in Canada for international students:
- Bayer Science & Education Foundation - Carl Duisburg Scholarships
- Bayer Science & Education Foundation - International Fellowships
- Khyentse Foundation of Translation Studies Scholarships
- Scotia bank International Partner Entrance Scholarships
- NATA Business Scholarship