Get complete information on Canada Study Permit. Check the Application, Processing Time, Approval Rate, Extension, Refusal Reasons and more.
A Canada study permit is provided to international students willing to study at designated learning institutions (DLI) in Canada. Any student who is not a Canada citizen and wants to study in Canada for more than 6 months at the post-secondary level will need a Canada study permit to do so.
A Canada student permit is not the same as a Canada student visa. A Canada student visa is required to enter Canada and a study permit is required to study in Canada. International students are required to apply for a student permit before traveling to Canada for the respective study program.
International students are required to apply for a study permit in Canada at least 4-6 months before the start of the course and the study permit is valid for 3 months after the duration of the course. The eligibility criteria and documents required for a study permit, the application process, and the procedure for a Canada study permit extension are discussed.
Table of Contents
- What is a Study Permit?
- Who Requires a Study Permit?
- Canada Student Permit Eligibility Criteria
- Documents Required for Canada Study Permit
- Canada Study Permit Application Process
- What to do after you Apply for a Study Permit?
- Canada Study Permit Extension
What is a Study Permit?
A study permit enables foreign nationals to study at a Canadian designated learning institution. (DLIs). Ensure that you have all the required documents before you apply. You must obtain a study permit before travelling to Canada.
The study permit is not the same as a visa. It does not allow you to enter Canada. There may also be a requirement for an electronic travel authorization (eTA) or visitor visa. Study permits can also be obtained quicker through Student Direct Stream (SDS), which is available to legal residents of countries including India, China, Vietnam, etc.
Who Requires a Study Permit?
All the foreign nationals who wish to study in Canada must hold a valid study permit. However, there are some exceptions that have been listed below:
- Family/staff of foreign representatives
- Members of foreign armed forces
- Registered Indians in Canada
- Minor children in Canada
- Temporary residents and asylum seekers enrolled in French language or other culture programs.
Canada Student Permit Eligibility Criteria
Any international student seeking admission to any Canadian university/ institution in a course longer than 6 months needs to apply for a study permit. Also, an international student can work in Canada with a valid Canada student permit. The Canada study permit requirements are similar to the requirements of the Canada student visa. International students should also obtain a temporary resident visa or an electronic travel authorization (eTA) that will go alongside their passport and study permit. Students should apply for student visa Canada through the official Citizen and Immigration Canada (CIC) website. The Canada study permit requirements of eligibility for international students are:
- The international student should have an acceptance letter from any Canadian university/ designated learning institute (DLI).
- The student should have a valid passport and also should have adequate funds to pay for the tuition fee in the first year. The student should also be able to manage the living expenses and have enough funds for return travel to the home country.
- The students should also be able to convince the immigration officials of returning to their home countries after the completion of the course or when the study permit expires.
- The students should submit proof of a background check and a police certificate confirming no criminal records in the past.
- A medical certificate and all other clinical records should be submitted to prove good health. Medical examinations should be conducted if required.
Documents Required for Canada Study Permit
The international students applying for a study permit in Canada must submit all the supporting documents along with the study permit application. Students should have all the required documents ready before starting the process of study visa for Canada. The student visa application Canada should be done through the official Citizen and Immigration Canada (CIC) website. Online applications are processed more quickly and it is easier for applicants to get any updates related to the status of the Canada study permit. The mandatory documents to be submitted by international students along with the Canada study permit application are given below:
- Acceptance letter from the Designated Learning Institution (DLI): The original or electronic copy of the proof of acceptance from the respective institution should be attached to the study permit application. The students who are conditionally accepted and are required to enroll in some prerequisite courses will be getting the study permit for the duration of that course plus one year. Once the student gets admission into the main course, he/ she should apply for a new student permit to continue their student life in Canada.
- Identity Proof: The International Students in Canada applying for a study permit in Canada and any other family member accompanying the student is required to submit a valid proof of identities such as a passport or a travel document. 2 passport-sized photographs in the approved format are also required.
- Proof of financial support: The international student should provide proof of finances to be able to sustain in Canada for the duration of the course. An estimated amount of $10,000 per year should be shown as financial proof. Bank statements, scholarship in Canada, proof of sponsorship, etc can be shown as valid proof of financial support.
- Letter of Explanation: A letter explaining the goals and intentions of studying in Canada should be submitted by international students. This document serves as proof that the student is aware of his/ her responsibilities as an international student in Canada and helps in availing of the Canada student permit.
- Certificat d’acceptation du Québec: This document is required for students willing to study in Quebec and is issued by the Government of Quebec. The details about this certificate can be obtained from the respective educational institution in Quebec in which the student is admitted.
- Additional documents: Additional documents may be required based on the country or region based requirements. Other documents based on the Canada study visa requirements may have to be submitted along with the Canada study permit application.
Canada Study Permit Application Process
International students seeking admission to some of the top universities in Canada are required to apply for a Canadian student permit before arriving in Canada. The Canadian student permit should be applied online through the official Citizen and Immigration Canada (CIC) website. In this case, the applications are submitted instantly and may be processed more quickly. In certain circumstances, students can apply for a Canada study visa at the port of entry to Canada. Students should keep all the documents ready that are required to be submitted along with the Canada study permit application. The steps for applying for a study permit in Canada for international students are listed below:
- The study permit application can be submitted online through the Student Direct Stream (SDS) for faster processing. The usual processing time for a study permit in Canada is 20 days.
- An application fee of $150 should be paid along with the Canada student permit application.
- All the required documents should be attached along with the study permit application after confirming the eligibility criteria.
- The student should give the biometrics at the earliest opportunity for faster processing of the application.
- The submitted Canada study visa application can be tracked online by checking the status of the application directly in the online account.
What to do after you Apply for a Study Permit?
If you haven't submitted your biometrics in the last 10 years, you must do so after applying for a study permit. You can still give your biometrics if your local visa application centre is closed due to the pandemic. You must refer to the official website of the Government of Canada to check out further details about the same.
After this process, the application will be reviewed by the authorities. Your application may be returned if it is found incomplete, or you may be requested to provide the missing documents. You might also be asked to attend an interview, get a medical exam, or provide a police certificate.
In case you have missed uploading any document in your application, you can submit it through your online account. Any changes in your contact details or personal information should also be updated in your application.
If your application is approved, you will receive a port of entry letter of introduction from the visa authorities. This letter confirms that you are permitted to study in Canada. However, it is not your study permit.
When you arrive in Canada, you must present this letter to the border services officer. In addition to te letter of introduction, you will receive an electronic travel authorization (eTA) or a visitor visa (temporary resident visa) before entering Canada.
Canada Study Permit Extension
A study permit in Canada for international students is valid for up to 3 months after the duration of the course. Students are required to extend the study permit at least 30 days before it expires. The study permit cannot be extended beyond the validity of the student’s passport.
A Canadian student work permit can be applied if the student is willing to work in Canada after completion of his/ her studies. The student may be able to work temporarily in Canada with a Canada work permit and this work experience counts while qualifying for a permanent residence in Canada. A Post-graduation work permit (PGWP) and many types of work permits are available for international students to be able to work in Canada after their graduation.
In conclusion, all international students willing to study in Canada require a valid Canada study permit to do so. Immigration officers in Canada will stamp the passport and the duration of stay in Canada will usually match the length of the study permit. By the expiry date, international students should leave Canada, apply for an extension, or change his/ her status to a visitor or temporary worker in Canada.
POST YOUR COMMENT