The main responsibility of the income tax department is to enforce the various direct taxes under the income tax act,1961. The average salary of an income tax officer in India is INR 45,563 per month.
An average salary of an income tax officer in India is INR 45,563 per month. An Income Tax Officer (ITO) is a government official responsible for various tasks related to tax administration in India. The income tax department also referred to as the IT department, is a government agency that collects direct tax and functions under the finance minister's revenue department. The department is responsible for the day-to-day administration of taxes.
Table of Contents
- Income Tax Officer Salary in India- Designation-wise
- Income Tax Officer Salary Details
- Income Tax Officer Career Growth and Promotion
- Income Tax Officer Responsibilities
- How to Become Income Tax Officer?
- SSC CGL Officer Eligibility Criteria
Income Tax Officer Salary in India - Designation-wise
Tabulated below are the salary of income tax officers at different designation
|Pay Scale (Per Month)
|Principal Chief Commissioner of IT
|INR 75,550 to 80,000
|INR 67,000 to 79,000
|INR 37,400 to 67,000+Grade pay INR 10,000
|INR 37400 to 67,000+Grade pay INR 8,700
|INR 15,600 to 39,100
|INR 15,600 to 39,100+Grade pay INR 5,400
|Income Tax Officer
|INR 9,300 to 34,800+Grade pay INR 4,800/5,400
SSC, the Staff Selection Officer recruits for non-gazetted level jobs in the government using the combined graduate level exam. The ITO exam is conducted and supervised by the staff selection office and a combined graduation exam every year to select candidates for various positions like Income Tax Inspector, Central Excise Inspector, Preventive Officer, Sub Inspector in CBI, Statistical Investigator, etc.
Income Tax Inspector is considered the most prestigious and popular job offered through SSC CGL. Timely promotion and job satisfaction with good allowances make it a great position to hold.
Read More: SSC CGL
Income Tax Officer Salary Details
The income-tax officer's salary differs based on the allocated city; the following table will help understand.
|SSC CGL Income Tax Officer Salary
|Salary Per Month
|DA on TA
Apart from the basic pay, the income tax officer gets many opportunities for promotion and growth.
Income Tax Officer Career Growth and Promotion
Once the candidate is placed in the Income Tax Department, they can experience a great life with highly reputed status and time-to-time promotion and growth.
The income tax department involves both desk and fieldwork, depending on the posting area and work allotted.
The post involves two sections as follows.
- Assessment Section: It primarily involves all desk jobs and other work given by the income tax inspector.
- Non-Assessment Section: Under this fieldwork, the officer will be a part of the rapid response team and usually conduct defaulters. In this, a desk job is limited as they need to collect proper evidence against defaulters.
Below are the important criteria of income tax officer salary benefits.
- The age limit for an Income Tax Officer is 30 years, whereas there is a relaxation in the upper age for OBC and ST/SC.
- With some years of experience as an income tax inspector, a candidate will be transferred to the income tax officer department.
- The candidate will be promoted to Gazetted officer underpaying INR 4,600. And with 10 to 12 years of experience, they will be promoted to Assistant commissioner of income tax.
- The candidate will get a promotion every 4-5 years. If a candidate joins the department at an early age, they will get a chance to go up to the Additional Commissioner level.
Income Tax Officer Responsibilities
The government of India has imposed a tax on income using the income tax act. According to this act, the person +under the tax section or subsection must calculate their total income. After calculating the total income, one has to submit their income in detail to a particular department.
An IT officer is the one who scrutinizes all the details of the income of an individual. To become an ITO officer in India, interested candidates have to clear a departmental exam or get direct recruitment after completing their civil service exam, UPSC-IAS.
The roles and responsibilities of an income tax officer are as follows.
- An ITO determines tax liabilities, investigation work to tax evasion, and individual & business audits.
- The department appointed an income tax officer that primarily deals with the Central Board of Direct Taxes', which holds responsibility for tax-related matters, also called 'tax specialist.'
- The Income Tax Officer examines and analyzes business and personal accounts to know that the correct amount of tax is being paid to India's government.
- The income tax officer possesses excellent analytical skills and a high numeracy level, important to investigate tax fraud.
- The income tax department also enforces laws like the Benami Transactions (prohibition), 1988, and the black money act.
The general working hours of government employees are 9 am to 5 pm. The fixed and defined department timings for income tax officers vary for the department. But in certain cases, like raids or searches, an income tax officer may have to work for longer durations than usual.
Read More: UPSC-IAS
How to Become Income Tax Officer?
Income Tax Inspector, the group-c interview post selected candidates by the central board of direct taxes, involves collecting direct taxes in India. Direct tax involves income tax, corporate tax, capital tax, etc. Income tax officer is a great position by SSC CGL and gives good social status with a good salary package.
Staff Selection Commissioner (SSC) involves several vacancies under the CGL exam. The exam is conducted every year for a reputed position in different departments like SSC CGL Income Tax Inspector, Statistical Investor, Central Excise Inspector, Sub Inspector in CBI, Statistical Inspector, etc.
The SSC recruitment exam is conducted in three phases given below.
- Descriptive Test
Various profiles come under the income tax department.
- Income Tax Inspector
- Income Tax Officer
- Assistant Commissioner of Income Tax
- Deputy Commissioner of Income Tax
- Joint Commissioner of Income Tax
- Additional Commissioner of Income-tax
- Commissioner of Income Tax
The IT department is considered one of the best government departments; it is the best job for power, money, and fame. Of course, it takes time to go up to a higher-level position, but for the one who has patience, this job is best for them.
Read More: How to Become Income Tax Officer?
SSC CGL Eligibility Criteria
SSC CGL mandates any graduation degree from any recognized university be eligible for the exam. Any candidate living outside of India can also enroll for the exam, and the minimum age limit for the candidates from the general category should be between 18 years to 32 years. However, reserved category candidates get relaxation for applying for the exam.
The candidate should have minimum physical fitness requirements as given below.
- Physical Standards
- Height- 157.5 cm
- Chest- 81 cm
- Physical Test
- Walking: 1600 m in 15 minutes
- Cycling: Candidate required to cycle 8km in 30 minutes
- Physical Standards
- Height - 152 cm
- Weight - 48 kg
- Physical Test
- Walking: The candidate will be required to walk 1 km in 20 minutes.
- Cycling: 3km in 25 minutes