DRDO is one of the prestigious government agencies in India that works on the country's defence systems and other technologies. The article discusses the positions involved, and the eligibility criteria needed to get into the DRDO (After Graduation, After 12th, Internship Opportunity, etc).
The basic eligibility criteria for candidates to join DRDO is either a Bachelor's Degree in Science or a 3-year Diploma in Engineering/Technology/Computer Science/allied subjects in the required discipline or domain from a recognised Institute.
In this article, we've got the information you'll need to become the next DRDO employee.
Table of Contents
- What is DRDO?
- How to Apply for DRDO?
- DRDO Eligibility
- DRDO Exam Pattern
- Can You Apply for DRDO After B.Sc?
- Can I Join DRDO After 12th?
- Salaries of DRDO Employees
- How to Get an Internship at DRDO?
What is DRDO?
DRDO stands for 'Defence Research and Development Organisation,' an agency run by the Government of India that largely runs research and development efforts for the Indian military's technologies or equipment and plays into the assistance of the country's defense systems. Because its purpose is so ingrained in defensive warfare, it's under the administrative control of the Ministry of Defence.
The organizations' headquarters are located in Delhi and there are a total of 52 laboratories across India. But, of course, it doesn't stop at only defense systems; it also covers various fields wherein they could expand the technologies involved, such as aeronautics, land combat engineering, life sciences, missiles and naval systems, armaments, and materials. The rigorous iterative processes are made possible by the sheer volume of engineers, scientists, and everything in between working there; 5,000 scientists belonging to the Defence Research & Development Service (DRDS) and 25,000 employees filling scientific, technical, and support-related roles.
How to Apply to DRDO?
Joining the nation's reputed organization for military research and development is most people's dream. However, there are certain steps to apply for a post in DRDO.
The steps are listed below:
- Step 1: For the SET exam, the candidate is supposed to apply online through the official website of DRDO.
- Step 2: To fill out the DRDO online application form, candidates have to click on the advertisement tab.
- Step 3: Candidates have to enter their email ID and password.
- Step 4: Candidates are supposed to click on the recruitment JRP 2021 tab.
- Step 5: Now, candidates will be directed to the DRDO application form tab.
- Step 6: Candidates have to enter the following details carefully with no spelling errors in the application form;
- Personal Details: Candidate's name, date of birth, gender, parent's name, category, religion, nationality, etc.
- Educational Qualification: Graduation and post-graduation details include university/institute name, year of passing, grade, and percentage.
- Contact Details: Local & permanent Address, mobile number, email ID, city, state, country, and PIN code.
- Step 7: Candidates must upload all scanned documents related to educational qualification, mark sheets, testimonials, and experience certificates if any.
- Step 8: Before clicking on the submit button, candidates need to review all the details.
- Step 9: Application fees of INR 100/- must be paid.
- For General and OBC [Male] candidates, the fees must be paid online only.
- SC/ST/Women/PwD candidates are exempted from paying application fees.
- Step 10: After successful submission of the application form, candidates must take the print of the application form to send it to the mentioned address:
- To the Director, the Centre for Airborne Systems (CABS), DRDO, Ministry of Defence, Belur, Yemlur Post, Bengaluru - 560037.
- Step 11: Candidates should retain a copy of the online recruitment application (PDF format) along with the acknowledgment slip generated even after the online application form is filled out for future use.
You must fulfil certain requirements to obtain work at DRDO. There are a total of 4 levels of posts for scientists, of which you can apply for based on your eligibility.
- Scientist 'B' post
- Scientist 'C' post
- Scientist' D' post
- Scientist 'E' post
Educational Qualification for Senior Technical Assistant under DRDO's Cadre of Technical Advisors
Candidates should have passed either a Bachelor's Degree in Science or a 3-year Diploma in Engineering/Technology/Computer Science/allied subjects in the required discipline or domain from a recognized Institute.
Candidates pursuing their final year degree in any stream are eligible to apply for DRDO 2021. However, candidates should ensure that they satisfy every factor of the eligibility criteria for DRDO. Otherwise, their candidature will be cancelled.
Educational Qualification for Technician 'A' under DRDO's Cadre of Technical Advisors
Candidates should have a pass certificate from their Class 10 board exam or equivalent certificate issued by a recognized board or institute. Additionally, they must possess a certificate from a recognised Industrial Training Institute (ITI) branch. If an ITI branch doesn't provide a certificate in that course, then candidates must have either one of the following:
- A minimum of a 1-year course certificate from a recognized institute.
- A National Trade certificate in the required discipline.
- A National Apprenticeship Certificate in the needed discipline.
Candidates with a valid GATE score in 2018, 2019, or 2020 are also eligible to apply. The age limit is set at not more than 28 years old as of 31 May 2018. Anyone above this age is unsuitable for the DRDO exam. However, there are some relaxations on it.
- SC/ST candidates receive 5 years of relaxation; they must not exceed 33 years of age. This is only for Scientist 'B' Post.
- OBC (non-creamy layer) candidates receive 3 years of relaxation; they must not exceed 31 years of age. This is only for Scientist 'B' Post.
- For every other post, age limit relaxation is reserved as per the rules.
- The age limit is also relaxed for candidates who are from the Armed Forces as per the rules.
- Scientist 'D'/'E' Posts demand that the candidate's age should not exceed 45 years.
- Scientist 'C' Post demands that the candidate's age should not exceed 35 years.
DRDO Exam Pattern
As a paper-based rest, the DRDO exam, which is called the Scientist Entry Test (SET) , emerges once every year. SET is divided into two sections: Section A and Section B. When put together, the duration of the paper is calculated to be 3 hours (or 180 minutes, to be exact). Both sections have negative markings; however, the amounts are different; Section A provides a 1 mark penalty for every wrong answer, and Section B deducts 0.5 marks.
As mentioned above, the exam does have an age limit, which ranges between 18-27 years of age (excluding relaxations), depending on the post the candidate is applying for. As for the total marks segregation, Section A takes the majority in that they contain 400 marks worth of content, and Section B gets the rest 100.
Read More: DRDO Exam
Can You Apply for DRDO After B.Sc?
Yes, candidates can apply for DRDO after finishing their Bachelor of Science degree studies. DRDO recruits the candidates through the Centre for Personnel Talent Management (CEPTAM); it is the entrance test for candidates who wish to join DRDO. There are many sub-branches of DRDO, such as the Defence Institute of Bioenergy Research, others with undergraduates for their Junior Research Fellowship (JRF), and many MSc/MTech students for Senior Research Fellowship (SRF), or other research fellows. The students in the top 6% of the National Eligibility Test (NET) can apply.
DRDO Candidate Eligibility
Senior Technical Assistant B: The candidate applying for this must be a B.Sc Graduate/ Diploma in Engineering/Technology in specified subjects.
For Admin & Allied Cadre: Candidates applying for this post should be Assistant Hindi/PA/Admin & Store Assistant.
For Technician A: Candidates applying for this should qualify their matriculation and do ITI in specific trades.
As for the application fee(s), OBC candidates must pay INR 50, whereas SC/ST/Women candidates are exempted from it.
DRDO Application Process
The application process for the different positions may vary; however, they are short. Here's how each of them works:
- Candidates applying for Position A can apply either online or offline.
- Candidates applying for Senior Technical Assistant B should apply online.
- Candidates applying for the Admin & Allied Cadre should apply offline only. Online methods are unavailable.
- Candidates who choose to apply for these positions offline must send the application form to the following address.
- The Centre for Personnel Talent Management, Defence Search & Development Organisation, Metcalfe House Complex, Delhi - 110054.
Can I Join DRDO After 12th?
Yes, candidates can join DRDO after their Class 12 boards as a store or administrative assistants. Also, if the candidate has an ITI certificate, they can join DRDO as a technician in the desired discipline. They join as a group-D employee called 'technicians.'
You will need to finish a 2-tier exam to get hired as one, followed by a typing test. Since you won't be a university graduate at the time, technical jobs will not be made available to you.
Salaries of DRDO Employees
Depending on the role they've taken up, the salaries for each employee will vary.
However, we've obtained an average aggregate and tabulated them below for your perusal.
|Grade||Level in Pay Matrix||Initial Pay|
|Scientist 'B'||Level 10||56,100/-|
|Scientist 'C'||Level 11||67,700/-|
|Scientist 'D'||Level 12||78,800/-|
|Scientist 'E'||Level 13||1,23,100/-|
|Scientist 'F'||Level 13 A||1,31,100/-|
|Scientist 'G'||Level 14||1,44,200/-|
|Scientist 'H' (Outstanding Scientist)||Level 15||1,82,200/-|
|Distinguished Scientist (DS)||Level 16||2,05,400/-|
|Secretary, Department of Defence R&D and Chairman, DRDO||Level 17||2,25,000/-|
How to Get an Internship at DRDO?
DRDO comprises different laboratories spread across the country. The addresses are accessible on the DRDO website. The laboratories have different research fields, development, core concepts, training policies, and whatnot. This is why it's recommended for you to reach out to the Director of the desired laboratory where you'd like to obtain the internship through the headmaster/chairperson/dean of your college or institute.
Steps to Get An Internship at DRDO
First of all, search for the internship you are looking for in your field of specialization.
Other steps for getting an internship at DRDO are:
- Search for the address of the laboratory.
- Contact the Director of the laboratory or HR. If you have any references, use them.
- Send your resume to the Director through email.
- If you are shortlisted, then you will be called for the interview.
- Prepare for the interview, and study about the laboratory.
- If selected for the internship, then you will receive a call letter through email.
DRDO is one of the esteemed agencies in India serving the country. Getting a job here is a dream for many. But there are several shoes to fill, such as those of scientists, technicians, assistant technicians, and even support staff.
Each of these roles requires different qualifications and experience, such as:
- Scientist B requires a Bachelor's degree with a minimum of first-class or above in engineering or technology.
- Scientist C requires a Bachelor's degree with a minimum of first-class or above in engineering or technology and also should have 3 years of experience in their respective fields.
- Scientist D requires a Bachelor's degree with a minimum of first-class or above in engineering or technology and also should have 7 years of work experience in their respective field.
- Scientist E requires a Bachelor's degree with a minimum of first-class or above in engineering or technology and also should have 10 years of work experience in their respective field.
- BSc graduates can also apply for the assistant technician post; the Centre recruits them for Personnel Talent Management (CEPTAM).
- Class 12 passed students can apply for the shop assistant post.
It's recommended that applicants apply for the shop assistant post after their BTech graduation if they wish to be a scientist and better pay. After your B.tech graduation, it is suggested to apply for this job after your B.tech graduation to be a scientist and have better pay. The candidates could also apply directly for Scientist B if they have scored high in the GATE exam.
POST YOUR COMMENT