Check the full form of CGL and other important information. CGL is a government recruitment exam, popularly known as SSC CGL. Check the full form of SSC CGL and recent updates about the exam.
The full form of CGL is the Combined Graduate Level exam which is conducted by SSC to recruit candidates for various Government departments and ministries. Here SSC is short for Staff Selection Commission, jointly SSC CGL full form is the Staff Selection Commission Combined Graduate Level exam. They assist recruit staff for Group B and C posts.
Table of Contents
- What is CGL Full Form?
- CGL Exam 2021 Date
- CGL Exam Eligibility Criteria
- CGL Exam 2021 Online Application Form
- CGL Admit Card
- CGL 2021 Exam Structure
- CGL 2021 Results
What is CGL Full Form?
CGL full form is the Combined Graduate Level exam by Staff Selection Commission to recruit candidates for various Government departments and ministries. SSC Combined Graduate Level Exam, is an annual exam for which lakhs of candidates aim for. SSC CGL recruitment assess candidates ability in quantitative and logical reasoning.
The candidate needs to be a graduate and should have impressive grades to be eligible for the Combined Graduate Level Exam. The CGL is one of the main choices of youths across the country who dream to get a government.
In the table below we have provided the SSC CGL full form along with the particulars of the exam.
|Exam name||Staff Selection Commission Combined Graduate Level exam|
|Board/Organization||Staff Selection Commission|
|Duration of exam||
Tier 1 - 1 hour
|Language medium||English and Hindi|
|Official website of SSC||ssc.nic.in|
CGL 2021 Exam Date
The Combined Graduate Level Exam recruits ambitious students to various government posts.
The important exam dates for candidates to keep in mind are provided in the table below:
|SSC-CGL Tier 1||August 13, 2021 - August 24, 2021|
|SSC-CGL Tier 2||September 30, 2021|
|SSC-CGL Tier 3||To be announced|
CGL 2021 Eligibility Criteria
The candidates applying for various posts under Group B and Group C should have an undergraduate degree from a recognised University. The age requirement depends on the post the candidate has applied for, it is mostly between 20 and 30 years. The candidates also need to provide a certificate for physical fitness for some posts of SSC.
CGL 2021 Online Application Form
The Combined Graduate Level Exams are conducted yearly by the Staff Selection Commission to recruit eligible candidates to various posts of the Government.
Interested candidates can apply for the SSC-CGL exam on the official website of SSC.
How to Apply for CGL?
The CGL exam is helpful for candidates aiming for government jobs.
Here we have given the steps to apply for the CGL exam:
- Visit the website for application of SSC post: ssc.nic.in/
- The candidates should register themselves as a new user by clicking on the ‘New User’ tab.
- The candidate has to enter the details like name, parents name, date of birth, e-mail address and phone number.
- Click on ‘Submit’ to register the account.
- Using the credentials, log in to the account to fill out the CGL application form.
- Fill out the required details and upload documents like photographs and signatures.
- The candidates must review the details of the application form to avoid making any errors as changes can not be made once the form is submitted.
- Click on ‘submit’ to pay the application fee for the post you applied for.
- The application fee can be paid online via net banking or debit/credit card.
- Download the application form and keep copies of it for future reference.
CGL Application Fee
The application fee for the SSC-CGL exam is INR 100. Candidates who are women, ex-servicemen, physically disabled and SC/ST category are exempted from paying the application fee.
CGL Admit Card
The candidates can get access to their admit cards by logging in using the credentials. The link would be provided to download the admit card. The admit card must be brought to the examination hall along with identity proof as these are requisites to write the exam.
CGL 2021 Exam Structure
There are different tiers of the examination conducted for various posts of the SSC-CGL exam. There are usually 4 tiers for the examinations where exams are administered on different days with the results of the tier uploaded after each tier. There were interviews conducted before January 2016 but it has been discontinued.
The 4 tiers are as follows:
- Tier I: Preliminary
- Tier II: Mains Exams
- Tier III Exams: Descriptive Paper
- Tier IV Exam: Data Entry Skill Test / Computer Proficiency Test
Tier I: Preliminary
The Tier I preliminary exam is an objective-based multiple-choice questions exam that includes 4 sections: English Comprehension, General Awareness, General Intelligence and Reasoning and Quantitative Aptitude. The preliminary exam is conducted online as a computer-based test. The duration of the tier 1 preliminary exam is 60 minutes. The total marks for the preliminary exam are 200 marks with 50 marks allotted for each section. The results of the preliminary exam will decide if the candidates can write the other exams.
Tier II: Mains Exam
The Tier II Mains exam is an objective-based multiple-choice questions exam that also includes 4 sections:
- English Language and Comprehension,
- General Studies, which is further divided into a)Finance & Accounting and b)Economics & Governance,
- Quantitative Aptitude and Statistics
The total marks for each paper of the Mains exam are 200 marks and the duration of the exam is 2 hours. The mains exam is conducted online via a computer-based test. All the candidates have to attempt the English language and quantitative aptitude paper. Candidates who have applied for the posts of statistical investigator and assistant accounts/audit officer will have to appear for statistics and general studies papers respectively.
Tier III Exam: Descriptive Paper
The Tier 3 paper will be conducted on the same day as the Tier 2 paper. The Tier 3 exam is a descriptive paper and is conducted offline via pen-and-paper. The candidates are required to do essay writing, letter writing, and sometimes précis and application writing. The descriptive exam is conducted in English or Hindi language.
Tier IV Exam: Data Entry Skill Test / Computer Proficiency Test
There was a fourth-tier added in 2016 for specific posts. The exams tested the proficiency of candidates in word processing, presentation slides, spreadsheets and typing tests. The candidates have to enter data at the rate of 2000 keys in 15 minutes. The data entry job is mainly for a tax assistant since their job role is mainly clerical.
CGL 2021 Results
The results for the Tier 1 preliminary exam will be published most probably in September.
To check the results of the candidate’s exam, the steps are as follows:
- Visit the official website for SSC.
- Click on the ‘Results’ tab on the homepage to check the candidate’s results.
- Click on the link for SSC-CGL which will consist of a list of roll numbers. If the candidate has qualified for the next exam, their roll numbers would be mentioned.