Smt. Manoramabai Mundle College of Architecture Overview
Smt. Manoramabai Mundle College of Architecture was the Department of Architecture of LAD College started in the session 1993-94 and was elevated to the status of a college in 2008-09 after permission granted by the Council of Architecture, New Delhi, and Government of Maharashtra. Women’s Education Society’s(WES) Smt. Manoramabai Mundle College of Architecture offers a five-year degree course in Architecture in the faculty of Engineering and Technology.
The postgraduate course (M.Arch in Architecture Education) has been initiated from the session 2007-2008. Ph.D. in architecture has also started from the year 2012-2013. SMMCA has been featured in the list of "top 30 colleges" in the architecture category listed by India Today in the July 2020 issue. Some of the highlights of the college are listed below.
|Highlights of Smt. Manoramabai Mundle College of Architecture, [SMMCA] Nagpur
||B.Arch. , M.Arch. , Ph.D.
||COA, RTMNU, Government of Maharashtra
||Lad College Campus, Seminary Hills, Nagpur, Maharashtra, India - 440006
Quick Links of SMMCA:
SMMCA University offers the following courses:
||Architecture Education, Urban Design
||Architecture, Planning, Urban Design
SMMCA offers a ten-semester course in Architecture leading to the degree of B.Arch. The Bachelor of Architecture course is approved by the council of Architecture, New Delhi – a statutory body of the Government of India that regulates architectural education in India. Subjects taught in architecture can broadly be grouped into 3 categories. The first category includes subject which attempts to boost creativity. Major courses like architectural design, visual arts, and workshop practices are a part of this category. The second category involves imparting knowledge and techniques which help to manifest design ideas into reality. This category includes subjects like construction, building material, and appropriate technology amongst others. Creating environmental and social consciousness about architecture is the third category with courses like the history of architecture, climatology, and sustainability. In addition to this, there are elective courses like photography, critical appreciation, documentation, etc. which aid and further architectural understanding. 8th and 9th-semester students undergo professional training in a practicing architects' office as a part of the B. Arch curriculum.
The objectives of this program are:
- To impart a critical understanding of built and unbuilt human habitats by sensitizing the students to various socio-cultural, political, and environmental factors that shape it.
- To inculcate design values and principles which enable the conceptualization of an architectural project.
- To develop allied skills like presentation and communication, this assists in handling the complexity that the profession demands.
SMMCA M.Arch (Architecture Education):
M.Arch in architecture education was started in 2007 to train the future teachers of architecture. The Smt. Manoramabai Mundle College of Architecture run by the Women’s Education Society offers a two year (four semesters) program leading to the degree of M.Arch in architecture education. The course offers training to architects who wish to be associated with teaching. The primary objective of the course is to impart professional training in strengthening their expertise in design teaching, education, and practice.
SMMCA M.Arch (Urban Design):
The college offers a full-time two-year post-graduate program (four semesters) in Masters of Architecture in urban design. The course is recognized by the Council of Architecture (COA) and the Government of Maharashtra and affiliated to Rashtra Sant Tukdoji Maharaj Nagpur University (RTMNU)
- To examine and further conceptualize the definition of the idea of “Urban‟ in the Indian context.
- To deal with the larger scale of groups of buildings, infrastructure, streets, public spaces, neighborhoods, districts, and the entire city with the goal of making urban environments that are equitable, beautiful performative, and sustainable.
- To work to revolutionize our social, political, and spatial systems as strategies to produce and reproduce a more equitable and innovative future.
- To gain knowledge from public administration, sociology, law, urban economics, and other related disciplines from social and behavioral sciences to create inclusive cities.
- To prepare the students to develop a holistic view for cities through placemaking, social equity, economic viability & design the built environment.
It offers Ph. D. programmers in a wide range of areas of architecture, planning, urban design, etc. The college also encourages research in interdisciplinary areas through a system of joint-supervision. The medium of instruction in college is English.
- G. H. Raisoni
- CSV, Wardha
- PWD (Dental College)
- Suritex for E-waste
- Aastral (2018)
- Choudhary Consultants (Ar.Rajeev Choudhary)
- Interated Design Concepts (Ar. Sahasrabhajanee)
- Design with Guru (Ar. Gurunath Modak)
- SanStones (2015)
- Architect Swapnil Kolhe
- Architect Jayant Tikkas
- Architect Vikrant Bhute
SMMCA offers its students all the necessary for the holistic development of the students. Some of the SMMCA facilities are listed below.
- Canteen and coffee kiosk
- Brain gym
- Studio with ICT facility
- Seminar halls
- Conference room
- Submission room
- Photography lab
- Materials & testing lab
- Construction yard
- Environmental lab
- Counseling center
- Reprography lab
- Computer lab & Wi-Fi
- Survey lab
The following scholarships are provided by SMMCA related to architecture, allowing students to explore their passion and pursue their academics:
- Ar. Bharat Yamsanwar Award for excellence in architectural design for a third-year design studio student
- Dr. Kamala Narayanan cash prize to the student securing the highest marks in the final year B. Arch
- Smt. Manoramabai Mundle cash prize to the student securing the highest marks in final year B.Arch
- Shri. D.J. Deshmukh Memorial Cash Prize to the student securing the highest marks in final year B.Arch
- M/S Swapnil Enterprises Cash Prize to the student securing the highest marks in final year B.Arch
- JK Cement Scholarship
- The CERA Scholarship
SMMCA offers all the necessary placement assistance to the students through its placement cell. Various campus placements are arranged on the college campus.
SMMCA Top Recruiters:
|Godrej and Boyce
|Sanjay Puri Architects
||Hiren Gandhi And Associates
||AR. U C Jain
||Vivek Varma Architects
|Space Craft Associates
||Ratan J Batlaboi Consultants Pvt. Ltd.
|Bhansali And Associates
||AR. Hafiz Contractor
|AR. Nashine And Associates
||V. K. Associates, Nagpur
|A. B. Dongre And Associates
||AR. P.S. Ahuja, Nagpur
||Smita & Habeeb Associates
SMMCA Eligibility Criteria:
For admission into SMMCA, the students have to meet the following eligibility criteria.
- Candidate should have passed 10+2 scheme of examination with PCM subjects or passed 10+3 diploma with mathematics.
- The applicant should have cleared the NATA test
- The candidate should have completed a B.Arch from any recognized university with 55% aggregate
- The candidate should have cleared MAH-CET conducted by the Directorate of Technical Education (DTE), Maharashtra.
- The candidate should have completed a master's degree in architecture or allied subjects or equivalent qualification.
SMMCA Admission Procedure:
Admissions of Smt. Manoramabai Mundle College of Architecture can be done on the college's official website. All students have to meet set eligibility criteria at the time of admission.
Smt. Manoramabai Mundle College of Architecture has a hostel that is located on the beautiful campus at seminary hills. SMMCA hostel accommodates around 200 girl students and provides all the basic facilities. The hostel has the main garden, canteen, extensive sports facilities for outdoor games like badminton, throw ball, basketball, etc. The mess of the hostel provides vegetarian meals, snacks, and tea.
Smt. Manoramabai Mundle College of Architecture Cut Off
Smt. Manoramabai Mundle College of Architecture Cut off
Women’s Education Society’s (WES) Smt. Manoramabai Mundle College of Architecture offers B.Arch, M.Arch, and Ph.D. in architecture courses.
Smt. Manoramabai Mundle College of Architecture cut off marks is based on the NATA exam for various courses. The students also have to meet the minimum eligiblity criteria set on the prior qualifying examination.