Punjab Police Academy (PPA) is an institution which was established to prepare the excellent police officers and officials for the Punjab Police and the Police of the other states. It was titled as Maharaja Ranjit Singh Punjab Police Academy in the year of 1995. The college is affiliated by the Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar. It is a first police training academy which which in collaboration with Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar started imparting the instruction of M.A., M.Phill and Ph.D. degree programmes in the discipline of Police Administration a feature which has been appreciated at National and International levels.The college has latest training infrastructure backed by modern layout and specialized police training programs.
The Phillaur fort has a fascinating history behind it. Situated on the Grand Trunk Road, it has a great historical background. The town of Phillaur in which the fort is located owes its origin to a Sanghera Jat, Phul, who named it after himself as “Phulnagar”. The Naru Rajputs of Mau, a nearby township, had cast covetous eyes on Phillaur and eventually under their Chief Rae Shahr they wrested it from the Jats. Rae Rattan Pal, the son of Rae Shahr, liked it so much that he abandoned Mau and settled in Phillaur. The Jats then left the place.Later, however, at some period unknown, the Rajputs also deserted it. Nothing is known thereafter until the reign of the Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan (1627-1658) when an imperial Sarai was built at Phillaur. Later, the town was occupied by Kakarah Sikhs and held until Maharaja Ranjit Singh (1780-1839) seized all the Kakarah Estates. After the collapse of the Mughal Empire, Maharaja Ranjit Singh sent Dewan Mohkam Chand,about the year 1809, to take possession of the Imperial Serai and converted it into a formidable Fort with the help of his French and Italian officers, namely Generals Ventura, Allard, and Avitabile. It was built in reply to the British who had built a small Fort at Ludhiana on the remnants said to be of an old Lodhi Fort, and to guard the ferry of Phillaur. The British occupied this Fort in 1846 after the Sikhs were defeated in the battle of Aliwal. Phillaur, thereafter, became a Cantonment and Fort remained under the charge of Army authorities till 1890 when it was handed over to the Civil authorities and has been used thereafter for police training purposes. The fort was renamed as 'Maharaja Ranjit Singh Fort' by the Punjab Government by a notification dated 6th April, 1973.
Police Training School
The Police Training School was established in the Phillaur Fort by a Home Department notification dated the 9th September, 1891, with a meagre staff under Mr. J.M. Bishop, I.P., Assistant District Superintendent of Police. The School started functioning with effect from the 1stJanuary, 1892. Thus Punjab became the first state in the country to establish such a school. Most of the other training schools were set up after the report of the Police Commission, appointed in 1902 by Lord Cuzon.
Thus, it is the oldest police training institution in the country.The school was created to cater to the training requirements of officers and men from North-Western Frontier Province, Punjab & erstwhile Princely States. The officers selected in the Indian Police were also given training in this institution. The training curricula laid great stress not only for physical fitness or drills, but also on special spheres of work like patrolling, investigation of crime and a host of other duties. The erstwhile princely states sent their princes and senior officers for training. Late Maharaja Yadvindra Singh of Patiala also received this training from this school. The billiards table in the officers mess was donated by his father at that time. Many I.P officers who made a mark in Police Service also passed out from the portals of this institution. This included Sardar Sant Parkash Singh, the 1st Inspector General of Police of Punjab after independence, Mr. Kurban Ali, who subsequently became Governor in North Western Frontier Province, Pakistan, Nawab Itzazuddin, a Police officer of great repute in Pakistan and Shri Ashwani Kumar who occupied very important positions in the hierarchy of Police organizations at national level.
The administrative complex houses the offices of senior officers and the supporting staff. The offices are well furnished and equipped with latest office automation gadgets.
The century old building was constructed by British as a guest house for officers and engineers who constructed railway and road bridges on Sutlej river. In the year 1891 it was converted as Gazetted Officers Mess of Police Training School which was located in Maharaja Ranjit Singh Fort.The GOs Mess is one of the mo