The infrastructure of the University:
- There was only the University of Madras for the whole state of Tamilnadu until 1967 other than the Annamalai University - a privately funded one. It was Dr.A.Lakshmanaswamy Mudaliar who thought of a Post Graduate Centre of the University of Madras, down south. The Post Graduate Centre of the University of Madras was opened on 15th December 1957, at the premises of the time old renowned The American College at Madurai. Dr.S.J.Savarirayan, Principal of the American College was the in-charge person of the Centre.
- The occasion was marked with the establishment of a small library with Prof. S.Gnanamuthu as the Librarian, who later became the first University Librarian. On 2nd February 1957, Dr.C.P.Ramaswamy Aiyar laid the foundation stone for a new library building at the N.M.R. Subbaraman Park adjacent to the Pandyan Hotel. The building was opened by Dr.C.D.Deshmukh, the then chairman of the University Grants Commission on 16th October 1961.
University Student's Hostel
- There are five Men's Hostels and three Women's Hostels for Post Graduate Students, M.Phil Students and Research Scholars of University.
- State Bank of India (SBI) branch is available on the campus. A new facility named, ‘State Bank Collect’ was recently launched by Vice-Chancellor, Dr.Kalyani Mathivanan at the State Bank of India (SBI), Madurai Kamaraj University branch to remit university fees, tuition fees, examination fee and other payments. This facility is useful for the students enrolling in DDE programmes of MKU.
- University Hospital renders 24 hours services to the Students, Staff, families living on the University campus and to the public from 40 neighbouring villages. Treatment is provided with nominal charge. Ambulance service is also available. MKU Hospital also works in collaboration with Apollo Speciality Hospitals.
University Staff Quarters
- Residential Quarters are provided to the Vice-Chancellor, Registrar, Faculty members and Administrative Staff. There are 163 Quarters to meet the requirements of the staff.