About DAV Post Graduate College, Varanasi
DAV Post Graduate College, Varanasi was established in 1938 by its mother institution, Arya Vidya Sabha, Kashi, as an intermediate college recognized by Banaras Hindu University. It got degree status from the university in 1947 and permanent affiliation in 1954. The College started running undergraduate courses in the faculty of Arts, Social Sciences and Commerce and in 2008 the university allowed the college to start research and post graduate courses in four subjects namely, Commerce, Sociology, Economics and History.
Mission and Vision
The major objectives of the mother institution, Arya Vidya Sabha, Kashi are:
- To impart Vedic Education and teaching of Sanskrit, on the lines of Arya Samaj
- To open Dayanand College for teaching English, Sanskrit and Arya Languages and also to impart religious teaching on the lines of Arya Samaj. Apart from these, the College will also teach Arts, Science and other languages and impart skills.
The mission and the goals of our institution are well-matched and reflected in the curricula which is evident from our :
- Knowledge based education (through Arts and Social Sciences)
- Employment based education (through Commerce, Economics, Computer application, English language and through the programs like Travel & Tourism)
- Access to social issues (through NSS and NCC)
- Moral, discipline and character building (through sports)
- Equal opportunities to SC/ST, OBC, Minorities, girl students etc. (reflects in admission, student's free-ship, scholarships, their participation in College activities like cultural programs, sports etc.)
Thus the College sets its goal for: education with self accomplishment, learning, realization and principle based discipline. The moto is to grow the stakeholders with knowledge, insight, skills, healthy habits and abilities. Over the years, both the DAV College's mission and its parent institution - BHU have been effectively imprinted.
At the start of the new millennium, the College is conscious that it will have to address the challenges thrown up by the fast changing environment, new pattern of education must be the core of development agenda. This requires :
- From quantity to quality education
- From transfer of information to enhancement of creativity, knowledge and development of relevant skills along with value creation. The thrust is on holistic personality development of the students.