About Harish Chandra Post Graduate College, Varanasi
Harish Chandra Postgraduate College, Varanasi is a Govt. aided college and is one of the premier seat of learning of Eastern U.P. under the auspices of Harish Chandra Vidyalaya Samiti (a non profitable charitable institution registered under Indian Society Act 1860.)
Bharatendu Harishchandra, the profounder of the modern Hindi Language founded this institution with five students of the locality in 1866. By1910, the institution had started High School Classes. The Intermediate Classes started in year 1939.
The Undergraduate Classes in Arts and Commerce began on oct. 4, 1951.At first; the college was affiliated to Banaras Hindu University. The recognition of the Law Classes was made possible in the year 1958.
Having crossed different stages of development, the college now runs five full-fledged faculties of Arts, Commerce, Science, Education and Law, where studies of different subjects at Undergraduate and Postgraduate levels are being carried out. The institution is now emerging as a centre for Research Work in different subjects in the faculties of Arts, Science and Commerce.
To inculcate and sustain the quality in all dimensions of higher education catering to the national and global needs and create awareness of human rights, value system, culture and heritage of the country.
- To equip and empower students with relevant knowledge, competence and creativity to face regional and global challenges.
- To promote the building up of character in youth by religion and ethics as an integral part of education.
- To facilitate a broad range of learning opportunities for learners engrossed in graduate, postgraduate and research programmes.
- To provide the right kind of leadership in all walks of life.
- To create homogeneous intermingling of all sections of the society.