History of College of Engineering Anna University, Chennai
Due to the growing need for surveyors by the East India Company, the 'School of Survey' was established in a building near Fort St. George on the suggestion of Michael Topping in 1794. This school was one of the first of its kind in the country and it started out with 8 boys. Delhi Technological University (DTU), formerly known as Delhi College of Engineering (DCE), is an engineering university located in New Delhi, India. It became the Civil Engineering School in 1858 and was rechristened as College of Engineering in 1859, with the inclusion of a mechanical engineering course. The college was shifted for a short period to Kalasa Mahal, Chepauk, before settling at its present location in 1920.
College of Engineering, Guindy is one of the first institutes in India to offer degrees in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Telecommunication, Highway Engineering and Printing Technology.
- The Anna University, which is of the affiliated type is a member of the Association of Indian Universities, the Association of Commonwealth Universities and Partner of UNESCO International Center for Engineering Education (UICEE).
- UGC have accredited Anna University with Five Star Status in 2002 which is the highest rating. With proven capabilities both in academic and research areas, Anna University was able to receive this honour for a period of five years for excellence in Technical Education.
Anna University has rich experience in handling international cooperation projects. The University offers Under Graduate, Masters, PhD and M.S (By Research) programs. In recent years, Anna University has hosted students from European countries such as
- Netherlands, etc.
Similarly, about 45 students from Anna University have been to European partner institutions under Erasmus Mundus program to do their semester, full master and doctoral research abroad. The credits earned by the students have been accepted and printed in the grade sheets to get their degree within the stipulated period.
- Anna University recognises the subjects the OUT-GOING exchange students are likely to study in the host University before the students leave the home University.
- On completion of the semester/ duration, the acquired credits are transferred to the home University that facilitates to prepare the mark statement and award degree from the home University.
- The International office of Anna University supports them with all possible assistance to enable a smooth transition.
Application Eligibility criteria
- Candidate must have passed/appeared for the Qualifying Degree Examination and secured the prescribed Minimum Marks in the Subject(s)/course(s)concerned as mentioned in the Brochure.
- Candidate must have qualified at the common Entrance Test conducted by the University in the Academic year for which admission is sought. For administrative reasons, the University may conduct the entrance test before the publication of the results of the qualifying degree examination concerned. But qualifying at the Entrance Test alone does not confer a right of admission into a course. In addition to being qualified at the common Entrance Test, a candidate will be eligible for admission only if he/she passes the qualifying degree examination before the commencement of counselling for admission and secures the prescribed minimum marks in the subject(s)/course(s) concerned. He/She must submit the necessary documents at the time of counselling.
How to apply
The applicants seeking admission can follow these simple steps:
- The applicants seeking admission can apply by filling the online application form available on the website
- The applicants seeking admission can register themselves to the Under Graduation courses by submitting the registration fee The applicants seeking admission can pay the registration fees through Credit Card or Debit Card or Net Banking.
- The applicants seeking admission are advised to take the printout of filled-in online application form.
- The applicants seeking admission must upload the following documents along with the filled in application form
- Address: Anna University, Sardar Patel Road, Old Highways Building, Guindy, Chennai - 600 025
- Telephone Number: 044-22357264/22357265
- Fax Number: 044-22301134 / 22350291