A complete guide to all the dillemma regarding the fashion designing entrance exam after 12th.
All of us are interested in entrance exams once the second trial of our life is passed ie the 12th exams.12th is considered to be the most important academic phase. The fact, however, remains that the 12th is just a bridge course to cross and a long journey awaits you at the other end. Do a proper mapping of your inner motives with the profession you are going to choose. Carry out a swot (strengths, weakness, opportunity, threat) analysis of yourself. A profession cut out for you is the one where the strength meets an opportunity. Now, what is that entrance exam for fashion designing after 12th well there are many but let us break it down?
- Fashion Designing Entrance Exam After 12th
- Course Description in Fashion Designing After 12th
- Fashion Designing Eligibility
- Admission Process
- Skills Required to Pursue Fashion Design Courses
- Top Colleges for Fashion Design Courses After 12th
- Entrance Exam for Fashion Designing after 12th
- Scope of Fashion Designing
Fashion Designing Entrance Exam After 12th
Let us talk about the fashion designing entrance exam. Most people think that the skills and the responsibilities behind being a fashion designer are akin to taking a stroll in the park. We can assure you it's not. It's a complex form of art that has existed since the early 1700s. While the design is influenced to make things look and feel good, the overarching purpose of design is to give something a higher value. That's why fashion design shouldn't be confused with costume design since they both have different intents and responsibilities involved.
Similar to how things work today, design houses (or individual designers) create distinct sketches to capture the closest vision their client has for the garment. Once approved, the garment is made by the tailors. At the time, fashion design was new, hence the need for an entrance exam didn't exist. Today, fashion design has swept the floor in the entertainment industry; on one hand, it's an extremely competitive industry where only the best make it through.
On the other, it's a high-profile job that can get you the most lucrative clients in the designing industry. The job can be pursued either in the form of an in-house role or in the form of a contract-based or freelancing role. Haute couture designers tend to deal with more sophisticated designs due to their demand for exquisite fabrics, sharp details, and stunning quality. This doesn't mean that mass-market design jobs aren't high-paying, though. There is a big demand for them, given the rise in special events and the likes.
India is a land of multiculturalism, so variations of fashion design exist here. That's why there's always room for fashion designers to create the best fabric designs. For those looking to work abroad, the fashion industry is all the rage in Paris thanks to mid-to-high profile brands such as Balmain, L'Oreal, Givenchy, Sportif, Cartier, etc.
Fashion Designing Entrance Exam Important Dates
So, what are the entrance exam for fashion designing after 12th? Below given are some of the popular fashion designing exams along with their registration and exam dates.
|Exam Name||Registration Date||Exam Date|
|UCEED 2022||9th Sep 2021-18th Nov 2021||23rd Jan 2022|
|IIAD 2022||Till 17th Dec 2021||Online: 26 and 27 Dec 2021Offline: 26th De, 2021|
|NIFT 2022||3rd Dec 2021 to 17th Jan 2022||6th Feb 2022|
|NID DAT 2022||5th Oct 2021 to 9th Dec 2021||2nd Jan 2022|
|AIEED 2021||21st Nov 2021||15th to 25th Dec 2021|
|AIFD WAT 2022||May 2022||August 2022|
|SOFT 2022||April 2022||May 2022|
9th Sep to 18th Nov 2021
23rd Jan 2022
Course Description in Fashion Designing After 12th
As education has progressed, there are many new courses that have been introduced in fashion designing courses. These courses differ from the basic ones and focus on a certain specialization in fashion design. Some of such courses along with basic ones have been listed in the below table.
|PG Diploma in Fashion Design||12 to 18 months||INR 60,000 to 90,000|
|MSc in Fashion Designing||2 years||INR 1.19 Lakhs|
|Masters of Fashion Management||2 years||INR 3.12 Lakhs|
|MA in Fashion design||2 years||INR 1.63 Lakhs|
|Diploma in Jewellery Design||1 year||INR 4 Lakhs|
|Diploma in Fashion Design||1 year||INR 1.25 Lakhs|
|Certificate Course in Fashion Design||1 year||INR 87,000|
|BSc in Fashion Design||3 years||INR 1.5 Lakhs|
|BDes in Textile Design||4 years||INR 3.5 Lakhs|
|BDes in Interior Design||4 years||INR 3 Lakhs|
|BDes in Fashion Design||4 years||INR 2.5 Lakhs|
|Bachelor of Design||4 years||INR 3.5 Lakhs|
|Advanced Diploma in Fashion Design||2 years||INR 1.55 Lakhs|
Fashion Designing Eligibility
Here's how the eligibility criteria for fashion designing works:
- You must possess at least 50% aggregate score in your Class 12 exams.
- You must write the Class 12 exam under a board identified by the central or state board.
- You must be between the age of 17 to 23. This is based on the general guidelines set as of 2018.
- SC/ST/PwD candidates will receive a 5-year relaxation on this.
- You must pass the entrance exams provided by the fashion design institute of your choice.
Entrance exams for fashion designing after Class 12 are considered a tool of analysis by institutions such as NIFT to help them examine your potential. In a country where population growth is exponential, and those under the age group of 25 years make up at least 50% of it, competition is more than expected. Essentially, it's a giant filter.
The process depends upon the individual course selection. Once you apply for a particular course, the admission process unique to that course will be notified to you. Here. we are mentioning a few general admission processes for your convenience.
- Those who want to go for a certificate program, need to go direct;y to the respective institute's website and apply from there.
- Aspirants willing to pursue a diploma or postgraduate diploma in fashion designing, need to go through any of the above-mentioned entrance exams and their selection will be based on marks in that exam along with further rounds like personal interviews sometimes.
- If you want to opt for UG and PG degrees in fashion design then also you need to clear entrance exams like NID, CEED, DAT, NIFT, and others, and will be chosen based on their results.
- For candidates willing to go the extra mile and get a doctorate degree in fashion designing, CSIR, UGC, NET, and other well-known Ph.D. entrance exams need to be cleared.
Skills Required to Pursue Fashion Design Courses
If you want to go for fashion designing courses, you are expected to possess some or all of the below-mentioned skills:
- Out-of-the-box thinking capability.
- A good designer invents, not copies, so you should possess an imaginative mind.
- A great designer creates, not remakes, so if you are creative, this might be a good choice for you.
- Need to have knowledge about past and ongoing fashion trends nationally and internationally.
- You should be able to stitch the outfits that you have designed.
- Having knowledge of color combinations and the compatibility of different patterns with design is an added bonus.
- In order to create a design, you need to draw that design first, so one should have a good hand in drawings too.
Top Colleges for Fashion Design Courses After 12th
Let us look at the few best colleges for fashion designing courses:
- NIFT Kolkata
- NIFT Delhi
- NIFT Bangalore
- Symbiosis Institute of Design, Pune
- Amity School of Fashion Technology, Noida
Entrance Exam for Fashion Designing after 12th
The entrance exam for fashion designing after 12th is considered mandatory to write in some institutes. This is also done on a 'first come, first serve' basis, but most institutes prefer candidate screen tests via various methods. This gives them more control over how they can test the candidate's knowledge and skills in the field of fashion design.
Here are top entrance exams for fashion design that you can write after passing your 12th:
- All India Entrance Exam for Design (AIEED)
- National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT)
- National Institute Of Design (NID)
AIEED Entrance Exam
ARCH College of Design & Business conducts the exam for all student who wants to be future designers. There are two stages to the exams:
The GAT is the first step of the AIEED entrance exam and all applicants must attend. Creative Aptitude Test (CAT) is the second step that is done 3 days after GAT. Both steps are conducted online, however, GAT is 2 hours long, whereas CAT is 3 hours long. Here are two things to keep in mind:
- Candidates who have appeared for or cleared their Class 12th from any recognized board as per UGC guidelines are eligible for admissions.
- Candidates appearing for their Class 10+1 exam can also appear for AIEED. Such aspirants will be eligible for direct admission in the academic session commencing in 2021 provided they clear the interview round at that time.
The fee for the AIEED entrance exam is INR 3,000.
NIFT entrance exam
The NIFT exam is conducted only once every year in June. The syllabus for the exam includes Quantitative Ability, Communication Ability, English Comprehension, Analytical Ability, General Knowledge, and Current Affairs. This is the most well-known of all fashion designing entrance exams. The application fee is INR 1,500 for general candidates and INR 750 for SC/ST/PwD candidates.
NID Entrance Exam
The NID entrance exam is conducted once in a year. There are two stages two NID entrance exam ie first stage is the prelims conducted in January and the second stage is the mains exam conducted in May. The mains exam is further divided into studio test and interview, the studio test is normally conducted within one and half months after prelims. The application fee differs based on the category of candidates and the below list gives the details regarding the same.
- INR 2,000 for General and OBC-NCL Category Candidates.
- INR 1,000 for SC/ST/PWD Candidates.
- INR 3,000 for Overseas Candidates.
Read more Design Entrance Exams in India
Scope of Fashion Designing
There are umpteen coaching institutes in India where the guides for the syllabus and strategy for cracking entrance exams for fashion designing after the 12th are great. There are many opportunities in the market for a fashion designer, one can explore many fields inside fashion design. But you must work hard to excel in the field.
A fashion designer can work for the leading fashion houses of the world such as Prada, Gucci, and many more. The salary of a fashion designer is around 4 lakh per annum approximately in the initial stages but it will increase with respect experience of the candidate. A fashion designer must have a wide spectrum of knowledge regarding apparel designs from west to east. Each country has a sense of fashion stamped by the local Couturiers. There are seven countries known for their Impact on the fashion industry those are France, the USA, Italy, Japan, the UK, Belgium, and Germany. The four cities where most of today's fashion originate from are Milan, Paris, London, and Newyork. However, the most interesting fact is that the largest manufacturers of clothing are countries from Asia.
Read More All Fashion Designing Courses after 12th
Fashion Design Courses After 12th Jobs
One can get a job in different profiles like Fashion Designer, Textile Designer, Footwear Designer, Fashion Advisor, and so on after completing their fashion designing course. The below table will give you a rough estimate of their average salary.
|Job Profiles||Average Salary|
|Accessory Designer||INR 570,000|
|Costume Designer||INR 159,000|
|Fashion Advisor||INR 202,248|
|Fashion Blogger||INR 480,000|
|Fashion Designer||INR 525,720|
|Fashion Editor||INR 10,75,153|
|Fashion Journalist||INR 350,000|
|Footwear Designer||INR 360,00|
|Makeup Artist||INR 270,000|
|Personal Stylish||INR 560,000|
|Textile Designer||INR 400,000|
Other Entrance Exams After 12th
POST YOUR COMMENT