How to become an Air Hostess
If you have a pleasant demeanour and high tolerance for people, then the job of an air hostess or a flight steward will be suitable for you. The job of the air hostess is to ensure that the passengers on a plane are comfortable and are enjoying the service given by the airline.
The flight crew is the most vital part of any airline. If the services provided by them are good, then there will be an increase in the number of people who want to use the particular flight and this will be profitable for the airlines.
Like any other job in the hospitality sector, the job of an air hostess is also very demanding and important. The flight crew is always expected to look impeccable and immaculate.
They are expected to always maintain a pleasant persona. In the past few years, the aviation sector has also seen considerable growth and the requirement for flight crew has also increased. There are many institutions that focus on the development of human resources in the aviation sector.
Here is the table of content of the article "How to become an Air Hostess in India"
- Air hostess job requirements
- Job Profile of an Air Hostess
- Courses for Air Hostess after 12th
- Procedure to become an Air hostess in India
- Top Air Hostess training colleges in India
- Air hostess job opportunities and scope
Air Hostess Job Requirements
Here are the requirements for becoming an Air Hostess in India
It is necessary for one to have completed class 12 with an aggregate of 50%, from any stream.
Requirements for becoming an air hostess are pretty rigid and if you are eligible base on all the criteria, then you can apply for the job of an air hostess.
When applying for the job, you shouldn’t be below the age of 18 years, or above the age of 26 years. This may differ from one airline to another and few airlines might appoint you only if you are above the age of 21 years.
- The candidate should be unmarried.
English is a language that is universally understood and one has to be fluent if aspiring to be an Air Hostess. Knowing another language will be considered an advantage.
The eyesight of an air hostess should be sharp and precise. During the eyesight test, one should score at least 20/30 and lenses are allowed to be used.
The candidate should also ensure that they have the fair complexion to a clear complexion.
To become an air hostess, one should be at least 157.5 cms in height and the weight should be proportionate to the height.
The job also requires to have good physical strength, so the candidate has to be physically fit.
Job Profile of an Air Hostess
Here is the job profile of an Air Hostess.
Welcomes the passengers aboard and directs them towards their seats.
Briefing the passengers regarding various perils on the plane and their safety measures.
Responding to queries of the passengers on the flight.
Serving the passengers food and beverages.
The flight report should be prepared by an Air Hostess.
In the case of a medical emergency on the plane, the air hostess is expected to give medical assistance.
Courses for air hostess after 12th
The Courses to become an air hostess which can be taken after 12th are listed below.
- Certificate Courses
- Diploma Courses
- Degree Courses
Certificate courses to become an air hostess
After completing class 12 one can take up certificate courses for becoming an air hostess in India. The duration for most of the certificate courses is just for 6 months. They provide brief training and information about the aviation sector. These programs can be done just as a valuable addition to a degree or a diploma.
Few of the certification courses are:
- Aviation and Hospitality Services
- Hospitality Travel and Customer Service
- Night Rating
- Aviation Management
- Air Hostess/Flight Purser
- Aviation Hospitality & Travel Management
- International Airlines and Travel Management
- Private Pilot Training
- Commercial Pilot Training
- Air Ticketing & Tourism
- Airport Ground Management
- Air RT / Radio Flight Officer
- International Air Cargo
- Certificate Course in Fare Ticketing Virgin Atlantic/ GTMC Courses
- Certificate Courses in Personality Development
- Certificate in Aviation Security and Safety
Diploma courses to become an air hostess
Diploma courses are for those who want to learn more than what is taught in the certification courses. The duration of the courses will be for a year. One can apply for the job immediately after completion of the diploma course.
Few of the diploma courses are:
- Aviation and Hospitality Management
- Air Hostess Training
- Aviation Hospitality and Travel Management
- Diploma in Professional Cabin Crew Services
- Diploma in Professional Ground Staff Services
- Diploma in Airport Management & Customer Care
- Diploma in Airlines Management
- Diploma in Airlines and Travel Management
- Diploma in Ground handling And Cargo Management
Air hostess Degree Courses
Degree courses are a full-fledged training program for a duration of 3 years. For the duration of 3 years, the students will be taught about the complete working of the aviation sector with respect to the flight crew. One can either choose to do a post-graduate program or can apply for the job directly. The courses for an air hostess is:
Bachelor of Business Administration in Aviation
Master of Business Administration in Aviation: During your MBA program, you can choose specialization courses in subjects like aviation and hospitality services, airport ground services, travel, and customer service.
Procedure to become an Air hostess after 12th
Step 1: Applying for the position
Many airlines publish regarding the vacancies for the job of an Air hostess in the newspaper and you can apply after seeing the advertisement of vacancy for the job.
If you are studying any of the diploma courses or other degree courses related to the job, then there is a good chance that you can apply with the help of the authorities in the colleges.
Step 2: Screening and Interview
The authorities at the airlines will screen your application form and if you seem to be suitable for the job, then you will be called for an interview.
To get through the screening procedure, you need to have a resume that is supported with many certification courses and languages learned as this will give you an edge over many others who have applied.
In the interview round, your technical knowledge, as well as personal skills, will be questioned.
Step 3: Training and Orientation
After successful completion of your interview, you will be sent for 2 to 3 months of training.
During this period you will be taught about first aid, grooming, aeroplane safety, and other technical and non-technical aspects of the job.
When you complete your training you will be briefed about the department you will be working and also the set of duties and responsibilities you need to complete.
Top Air Hostess training colleges in India
A lot of colleges in India offer courses in aviation and hospitality. Few of them are private institutions that focus just on hospitality in the aviation sector. Top airlines like Jet Airways have their own training academy for an air hostess.
Top air hostess training colleges in India are as follows.
- Frank Finn institute of Air-hostess training, Mumbai.
- Wings Air Hostess & Hospitality Training, Vadodara.
- PTC - Aviation Academy, Bangalore.
- Indira Gandhi Institute of Aeronautics (IGIA), Ghaziabad.
- Rajiv Gandhi Memorial College of Aeronautics, Jaipur.
- Universal Aviation Academy or U. A. A.
- Institute For Personality, Etiquette, & Grooming (IPEG India), Chennai.
- Air Hostess Academy (AHA), Bangalore.
- Jet Airways Training Academy, Mumbai.
- Air Hostess Academy, Pune.
- Avalon Academy, Dehradun.
- Frank Finn institute of Air-hostess training, Delhi.
- Air Hostess Academy, Delhi.
Air hostess job opportunities and scope
Many airlines from all over the world hire air hostesses from India. You can directly apply to these companies after the completion of your diploma course or a degree.
Few of the recruiters are as follows.
- Indian Airlines
- Air India
- Alliance Air
- Sahara India
- Jet Airways
- Go Air
- British Airways
- Qantas Airlines
- Delta Airlines
- Gulf Air
- Singapore Airlines
- United Air
- Cathay Pacific
- Mahindra & Mahindra
The scope of an Air Hostess are as follows
- The job will get your passport filled with stamps, means you can travel to anywhere in the world.
- Explore a lot of people and their culture.
- As per the regulations, no aircrew will fly more than 72 hours in a month.
- An Air Hostess can be later promoted as Senior Flight Attendant and then Head Attendant.
- In addition to the good salary package, some airlines also provide additional allowances such as retirement plan and discounts on flights and travel.
Career prospects of an Air Hostess
The job of an Air hostess is always associated with a prosperous career. When you become an Air hostess or a flight steward, in the long run, you have the chance of becoming a Senior Flight Attendant and eventually, also a Head Attendant. The basis of promotion will only be the number of years of experience and the quality of service provided.
The aviation industry is not only about beauty and looks its about to what age you are fit to fly. The career never stops there, you can get so many opportunities to work with a different organization and can join the training or education field.
Salary of an Air Hostess in India
The job of an air hostess is very demanding and tiring, hence they are paid well too. The starting salary for an air hostess starts from Rs. 35,000/- per month and it can go up to Rs. 200,000/- per month. The job also includes various additional benefits like health and life insurances for the employee as well as their family. They are provided with housing facilities and out-station allowances.
Salary also varies from one airline to another and it also depends on the experience.
In addition to the good packages the air hostess also get free tickets, discount on hotels and so on.