What is the NDA Exam?
UPSC NDA stands for Union Public Service Commission - National Defence Academy. NDA is an entrance exam conducted twice a year for aspirants to study at the prestigious National Defence Academy. Over 450000 students take up the test each year but only about 6000 candidates are shortlisted for the interview.
- Authority: UPSC is the conducting body of the examination. The final selection procedure is decided by the NDA.
- Expected Dates: UPSC NDA 1 2019 Official notification will be released on 9th January 2019, with the exam to be conducted on 24th April 2019. UPSC NDA 2 2019 Official notification will be released on 7th August 2019, with the exam to be conducted on 17th November 2019.
|Exam Name||Union Public Service Commission National Defence Academy and Naval Academy Exam|
|Exam Category||Under Graduate|
|Exam Mode||Offline (Pen and Paper based)|
|Conducting Body||UPSC (Union Public Service Commission)|
|Frequency||Twice a year (NDA 1 & NDA 2)|
|Required Marital Status||Unmarried|
|Vacancies at NDA|| NDA has 342 posts:
|Vacancies at Naval Academy||50|
- Frequency: The Written Ability Test for the NDA entrance exam is conducted twice in a year.
- Exam Pattern: UPSC NDA 2019 has multiple stages as given below:
- Paper 1 - Mathematics test (300 marks)
- Paper 2 - General Ability test (600 marks)
- Note: Both paper 1 and 2 have only objective type questions and are conducted offline.
- Interview - Candidates who have cleared the written exam will be qualified for the interview. The interview includes Intelligence and Personality Test and is for 900 marks and is conducted for a period of 4 to 5 days.
- Expected Vacancy: The total vacancies for UPSC NDA 2019 is expected to be 392 with 342 for the NDA and 50 for the Naval Academy. Posts in NDA include Army, Navy and Air Force.
- What is the NDA Exam?
- NDA Important Dates
- NDA Eligibility
- NDA Vacancies
- NDA Application Form
- How to apply for NDA 2019 Exam
- NDA Admit Card
- NDA Exam Centres
- NDA Exam Pattern
- NDA Syllabus
- NDA Reference Books
- NDA Result
- NDA Cutoff
- NDA Selection Process
- How to Join NDA?
- NDA FAQs
- Related Exams
NDA Exam Dates
The official NDA notification 2019 is out. Candidates can check all the UPSC NDA Dates here. UPSC will release the Application Form for the UPSC NDA 1 2019 Exam on January 9, 2019. The deadline to complete the Application form is February 4, 2019. The NDA Exam Admit Card 2019 or the NDA Exam hall ticket #yearwill be issued 3 weeks before the examination.
|NDA 1 Notification published||9th January 2019|
|NDA 1 Application Form Submission - Last date||4th February 2019|
|NDA 1 Admit Card Release Date||27th March 2019|
|NDA 1 Exam Date||21st April 2019|
|NDA 1 Result Announcement||9th May 2019|
|NDA 2 Notification Release||6th June 2018|
|NDA 2 Application Form Submission - Last date||2nd July 2018|
|NDA 2 Admit Card Release Date||10- 15 days before the exam|
|NDA 2 Exam Date||9th September 2018|
|NDA 2 Result Announcement||Oct-18|
- Nationality: As per eligibility criteria set by UPSC and NDA candidate have to be a:
- Citizen of India
- Subject of Bhutan
- Subject of Nepal
- Tibetan refugee who came over to India before the 1st January 1962 with the intention of permanent settlement.
- Person of Indian origin who has migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka and East African Countries of Kenya, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire, and Ethiopia or Vietnam with the intention of permanent settlement.
- NDA 2019 Age Limit:
- For UPSC NDA 1 - Candidates not born earlier than 02nd July 2000 and not later than 1st July 2003 will be eligible.
- For UPSC NDA 2 - Candidates not born earlier than 02nd January 2000 and not later than 1st July 2003 will be eligible.
- Gender: Only unmarried male candidates can apply.
- Minimum Qualification:
- Army aspirants must have passed the 10+2 qualifying examination or any equivalent exam and
- Air Force and Navy aspirants must have passed the 10+2 exam with Physics and Mathematics as subjects from a recognised State Education Board or a University.
- Physical Standards: Candidates seeking admission to the National Defence Academy and Naval Academy examination must be physically fit as per the physical standards set by the conducting authority.
UPSC has two academies under UPSC NDA exam. One is the National Defence Academy and another one is Naval Academy. UPSC declared the NDA Notification regarding the vacancies in NDA and NA. Academy wise vacancy is given below.
|National Defence Academy||342 (208 for Army, 42 for Navy and 92 for Air Force)|
|Naval Academy (10+2 Cadet Entry Scheme)||50|
NDA Application Form
The NDA II Application Form is expected to release on 6th June 2019. The candidates are required to apply for the UPSC NDA II 2019 Exam on the official UPSC website at www.upsc.gov.in. The UPSC NDA Application Form releases in two stages:
- NDA 1 application form will be released on 9th January 2019
- NDA 2 application form will be released on 7th August 2019
- Application Fee: Application Form fee for UPSC NDA 2019 is Rs 100/- for general and OBC candidates. Other reserved category candidates are exempted from the payment of application fee.
- Payment Method: Candidates can pay the application form fee by depositing the money in any branch of SB1 by cash/net banking facility, or by using visa/master credit/debit card.
- Photograph and Signature: Candidates are required to upload recent photograph and signature as per the required format.
- Registration Confirmation: A page with the candidate's registration number will be generated. Candidates must take a printout of this page.
- Print Out: Candidates are advised to take the print out of the application form for future reference. Only on a successful filling of all mandatory fields and completion of application form filling process, the candidate is eligible for generating his NDA Exam admit card.
How to apply for UPSC NDA 2019 Exam?
- Step 1: Visit the official website of UPSC NDA i.e. upsconline.gov.in
- Step 2: Register yourself by Providing all details that have been asked in part-I of the registration form.
- Step 3: In Part-II, the candidate has to provide his/her personal, basic and contact details.
- Step 4: Upload the pre-scanned copies of photograph and signature.
- Photograph: Candidates must then upload a Scanned photograph should be in JPG format. The digital size of the file must be less than 40 kb and greater than 3 kb and resolution 140-pixel height by 110-pixel width and Bit Depth of image file should be 24 bit.
- Signature: Candidates must then upload their scanned signature in JPG format. The digital size of each file must be less than 40 kb and greater than 1 kb and resolution 110-pixel height by 140-pixel width and Bit Depth of image file should be 24 bit.
- Step 5: At last, make the payment for successful submission of the NDA Application form.
- Candidates can pay the NDA Application fee through online SBI net banking or by cash via SBI Bank challan or through credit card/debit card.
- To pay the fee in cash, the candidate should take a printout of the challan generated online after completion of registration. Candidate can go to nearest SBI branch for depositing fee after 24 hours of generation of Challan.
NDA Exam Admit Card
The UPSC NDA Admit Card will be available on the official website. The Admit Card for the UPSC NDA 1 Exam will be released in the month of March and for UPSC NDA 2 Exam it will be released in October. The admit card will be issued for those who successfully filled the NDA Application form and satisfy the eligibility criteria. Without the admit card no one will be allowed in the exam hall ad it will be considered as NDA 2019 Hall Ticket.
Steps to Download UPSC NDA admit card:
- Step 1: Visit the official UPSC website at www.upsc.gov.in and click on the active exam link to downloading the admit card.
- Step 2: Under the list of active exams click on the UPSC NDA (I) exam link:
- Step 3: Candidates will be directed to a page where you can click on the link to access the admit card:
- Step 4: A new page will open where you should click on the link to download the admit card:
- Step 5: Once you click on the link, the candidate will be directed to the page to log in. Candidate can select the option given on the screen to log in with registration Number/Roll Number.
- Step 6: Once you click on a choice, fill the details and click the 'Submit' button
- Step 7: UPSC NDA (I) Admit Card will be displayed on the computer screen.
- Step 8: Download and review the admit card.
- Step 9: Take a printout for future.
Note: In case of any discrepancies or errors in the admit card regarding Registration ID, Roll Number, Name of the candidate and Postal Address should immediately be brought to the notice of the UPSC.
NDA Exam Centres
UPSC NDA examination is conducted at 41 cities all over India. Centres are provided on a first come first serve basis and there are no reservations. The applicants should note that there are a limited number of seats that each centre can accommodate so the final allotment will be done by the UPSC NDA authority. The list of exam centres is given below.
|Serial No||Exam Centre||Serial No||Exam Centre|
NDA Exam Pattern
The NDA exam will be conducted in offline mode (pen and paper-based test). The entrance exam will be divided into 2 papers, Mathematics and General Ability Test. The duration of each paper is 2 hours 30 minutes. Qualified candidates in the written exam will be selected for the next phase (SSB Interview).
- Written Exam: The table below shows the written exam pattern:
|Type of Question||MCQ's||MCQ's|
|Medium||English and Hindi||English and Hindi|
|Sections||Mathematics||English and General Knowledge|
|No. of Question||120||150|
|Duration||2 hours 30 minutes||2 hours 30 minutes|
|Marking||2.5 for every correct answer||4 for every correct answer|
|Negative Marking||0.83 for every wrong answer||1.33 for every wrong answer|
- The NDA 2019 General Knowledge section consists of:
- Physics (100 marks)
- Chemistry (60 marks)
- General Science (40 marks)
- History, Freedom Movement, etc. (80 marks)
- Geography (80 marks)
- Current Events (40 marks)
- SSB Interview: Candidates qualifying in the written test will be called for the interview process. It includes two stages :
- Psychological Aptitude Test and Intelligence Test.
- Candidates qualifying the stage one interview process will be considered for the stage 2 process.
- Medical Test: After clearing the SSB interview, candidates are required to undergo a medical test.
The UPSC NDA Syllabus is set by the UPSC. The main subjects for the NDA Exam Syllabus are Mathematics and General Ability where the general ability is divided into two main parts English and General Knowledge. The personality of a candidate is assessed by an Interviewing Officer (1O), a Group Testing Officer (GTO) and a Psychologist. Syllabus for Mathematics and General Ability is given below.
- NDA Paper 1 Syllabus: Mathematics:
- Matrices and Determinants
- Analytical Geometry of 2 and 3 Dimensions
- Differential Calculus
- Integral and Differential Calculus
- Vector Algebra
- Statistics and Probability
- NDA Paper 2 Syllabus: General Ability:
- General Knowledge
- General Science
- History, Freedom Movement, etc.
- Current Events
NDA Exam Reference Books
To score more in NDA 2019 candidates have to prepare very well. As the competition is very high in this exam, candidates should go for the best NDA books available. Some of the books are listed below. Candidates can refer for NDA 2019.
- UPSC NDA Examination by E S Ramasamy
- Pathfinder NDA/NA by Arihant Publications
- 5800+ MCQ's NDA/NA by Disha Publications
- Solved Papers NDA/NA by Arihant Publications
- Mathematics for NDA/NA by Dr R S Aggarwal
- 10 Practice sets NDA/NA by Arihant Publications
NDA Exam Results
The UPSC NDA Exam Result will be declared within one month after completion of the examination. Candidate should visit the official website of UPSC at www.upsc.gov.in to avail the result. The NDA Result will be published in the form of a PDF file.
Contents: The NDA 2019 Result will contain a list of the Registration Number, Name, Roll Number and NDA 2019 Exam marks of all qualified candidates.
Steps to check UPSC NDA 2019 Results:
- Step 1: Candidate should visit the official website upsc.gov.in
- Step 2: Click on the result link shown on the home screen.
- Step 3: Exams for which results are announced will be displayed. Click on the pdf link for the UPSC NDA exam.
- Step 4: Candidate result will be displayed in the pdf file. Hence to find the particular candidate result, click 'Ctrl +F', enter your name or roll number to find your result easily.
- Step 5: Download and print the result for future reference.
To qualify for the final of Interview candidates have to secure minimum marks set by the UPSC NDA Authority. UPSC will declare the NDA 2019 Cutoff Marks after conducting the exam completion.
NDA Cutoff Parameters: UPSC sets NDA cutoff marks based on various parameters. Those are:
- Total candidates appearing for the NDA Exam
- The Vacancies in the academies (NDA and NA)
- Previous year's cutoff marks
- Performance of candidates
- The difficulty level of exam
NDA 2019 Expected Cutoff Marks:
|Section||Expected Cut Off|
|General Ability Test||370-410 out of 600|
|Mathematics||185-210 out of 300|
NDA previous years Cutoff marks:
|Minimum Qualifying Marks at the Written Stage (Out of 900 marks)|
|2017||342 (At least 34% in each paper)|
|2016||288 (At least 25% in each paper)|
|2015||306 (At least 30% in each paper)|
|2014||360 (At least 35% in each paper)|
|2013||333 (At least 33% in each paper)|
NDA Selection Process
The UPSC NDA Selection Process includes mainly two steps written test and the Interview. Candidates who can score minimum cutoff marks in the written exam will be selected for the Interview. To get selected, candidates have to pass the Medical Test after Interview qualified. The NDA Medical test will be conducted by UPSC for interview qualified candidates only. Process for selection are as follows:
- Written Test: Candidates should clear the written test on Mathematics and General Ability.
- SSB Interview: Candidates should undergo the following two stages conducted at Selection Centres/Air Force Selection Boards/Naval Selection Boards
- Psychological Aptitude Test
- 1ntelligence Test
- Air Force aspirants: Candidates willing to join Air Force should separately qualify the PABT.
- Merit List: 1t will be prepared on the basis of total marks secured by them in the Written Examination and the SSB Tests and it is subjected to conditions.
- Final Allocation: The final selection for admission to the Army, Navy, Air Force of the National Defence Academy and 1ndian Naval Academy will be based on the number of vacancy available subject to eligibility, medical fitness and merit-cum-preference of the candidates.
- Preference: The candidates who are eligible to be admitted to multiple Services/Courses will be considered for selection with reference to their order or preferences and they will not be considered for admission to the other remaining Services/Courses.
NDA Exam FAQs
- Q: What is UPSC NDA?
- Ans: Full form of UPSC NDA is Union Public Service Commission - National Defense Academy. The entrance exam is conducted bi-annually by UPSC for candidates who aspire to become students at the NDA.
- Q: When will the official notification of UPSC NDA 2019 be released?
- Ans: The official notification of NDA 1 is expected to be available on the official website on 9th January 2019 and that of NDA 2 on 7th August 2019.
- Q: When will the UPSC NDA 2019 Exam be conducted?
- Ans: UPSC NDA Exam is conducted twice every year. The First exam of the year (NDA 1) is scheduled to be held on 24th April 2019 and the second one (NDA 2) is on 17th November 2019.
- Q: What is the pattern of UPSC NDA 2019 Exam?
- Ans: The exam is divided into 2 papers. Paper 1 is a Mathematics test of 300 marks and Paper 2 is General Ability test of 600 marks. Both papers are conducted Offline (pen and paper-based) and contain only Multiple Choice Questions.
- Q: Will there be an interview round after UPSC NDA 2019 Exam?
- Ans: Yes. Short-listed candidates from the written examination are put forward for an Intelligence and Personality Test through an interview. The interview carries 900 marks and can run up to a period of 3 to 4 days.
- Q: What does the UPSC NDA 2019 Eligibility Criteria say about the candidate's marital status?
- Ans: For a candidate to be eligible for admission into NDA, he/she requires to be unmarried.
- Q: What are the courses offered upon clearing the UPSC NDA 2019 Exam?
- Ans: The various courses available for admission at NDA are B.A, B.Sc and B.Tech at the Naval Academy.
- Q: When is the deadline for submitting the UPSC NDA 2019 Application Form?
- Ans: The application form is supposed to be submitted on or before 4th February 2019.
How to join NDA?
The full form of NDA is National Defence Academy. To join NDA Candidates have to apply for UPSC NDA exam, which is conducted by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC). After the entrance exam, qualified candidates will be called for interview. If candidates can crack the interview they will be called for NDA Medical Test. Candidates who can pass the Medical Test can join NDA for defence training.