- December 30, 2020: The application forms for UPSC NDA 2021 are released. Interested candidates can start registering for the same if they satisfy the eligibility criteria. Visit the UPSC NDA Application Form page for the direct link to apply.
- The UPSC NDA-I and NDA-II 2021 official notification will be released on December 30, 2020.
Do you have a strong urge to serve the country? Have you always imagined yourself as an Indian Army Officer? We have a piece of good news for you and we're very sure that you'll love it. UPSC NDA 2021 gives you a golden opportunity to be a part of the incredible men who are an integral part of the defence system of the country and who serve as the lords of the Land, Air, and Waters of the Indian Subcontinent. National Defence Academy Exam commonly known as NDA 2021 Exam is conducted for recruiting candidates in the Army, Navy, and Air Force. This is a national-level test conducted by the UPSC twice a year normally in the month of April and September.
NDA 2021 notification has been released by the Union Public Service Commission on the official website for a total of 418 vacancies for admission to the Army, Navy, and Air Force.
- What is the NDA 2021 Exam?
- NDA 2021 Exam Dates
- NDA 2021 Eligibility
- NDA 2021 Vacancy
- NDA 2021 Application Form
- NDA 2021 Application Process
- How to apply for NDA 2021 Exam?
- NDA 2021 Admit Card
- NDA 2021 Exam Centres
- NDA 2021 Exam Pattern
- NDA 2021 Syllabus
- NDA 2021 Reference Books
- NDA 2021 Result
- NDA 2021 Cutoff
- NDA 2021 Recruitment
- NDA 2021 Selection Process
- NDA 2021 Salary
- NDA 2021 Preparation Tips
- NDA Related Exams
What is the NDA 2021 Exam?
NDA (National Defense Academy) Examination is a National Level Test conducted by UPSC (Union Public Service Commission) twice a year to fill in the vacancies available in various roles. This Exam acts as a gateway for recruiting candidates in the Army, Navy, and Air Force. This national level exam is conducted twice a year in more than 41 cities across India. The recruitment process consists of two stages. The first stage in the NDA 2021 is the written test which will be conducted in offline mode (pen and paper-based). The candidates who qualify in the written test will be eligible to attend the next stage which is the personal interview. Candidates can refer to the notification to get detailed information about the vacancies and the eligibility criteria of the desired post before applying them to the exam.
NDA is the first tri-service academy in the world where cadets of the three services, Army, Navy, and the Air Force train together before they go on to respective service academies for further pre-commissioning training.
|Exam Name||Union Public Service Commission National Defence Academy and Naval Academy Exam|
|Exam Category||Under Graduate|
|Exam Mode||Offline (Pen and Paper-based)|
|Conducting Body||UPSC (Union Public Service Commission)|
|Frequency||Twice a year (NDA I & NDA II)|
|Required Marital Status||Unmarried|
The NDA is located in Khadakwasla, Pune, Maharashtra. Cadets who are accepted and successfully complete the program are sent to their respective training academies for one year of training before granting commission.
Army cadets go to Indian Military Academy (IMA) at Dehradun, Air force cadets to Air Force Academy (AFA) at Dundigal, Hyderabad, and Naval cadets to Indian Naval Academy (INA) at Ezhimala, Kerala.
NDA 2021 Exam Dates
The notification was released on December 30, 2020, for NDA 2021 Exam. Candidates have to make a note of all the important dates related to the NDA 2021 exam and try to complete all the relevant tasks before the last date to avoid any last-minute hassle.
Candidates can check NDA 2021 exam dates from the table given below:
|NDA I||NDA II|
|NDA 2021 Notification||December 30, 2020||June 9, 2021|
|Release of NDA 2021 Application Form||December 30, 2020||June 9, 2021|
|Last date to submit the NDA 2021 application form||January 19, 2021||July 29, 2021|
|Last date to pay the NDA 2021 fee Online||January 19, 2021||July 29, 2021|
|Release of NDA 2021 Admit card||March 2021||August 2021|
|NDA 2021 Exam Dates||April 18, 2021||September 05, 2021|
|Announcement of NDA 2021 Results||To be announced||To be announced|
NDA 2021 Eligibility Criteria
Candidates must ensure to check the NDA 2021 Eligibility before filling up the application form. NDA 2021 Eligibility consists of Nationality, Age Limit, Gender, Minimum Qualifications, and Physical Standards.
- Citizen of India
- Subject of Bhutan
- Subject of Nepal
- Tibetan refugee who came over to India before the 1st January 1962 with the intention of permanent settlement in India.
- Person of Indian origin who has migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka and East African Countries of Kenya, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire, and Ethiopia or Vietnam with the intention of permanent settlement.
The age limit criteria for UPSC NDA is as follows:
- Only unmarried males with a date of birth not later than July 1, 2004, are eligible for the NDA I exam.
- Candidates born between January 2, 2002, and January 1, 2005, are eligible for NDA II 2021 exam.
- Female candidates and married candidates are not eligible to apply for the examination.
15.7 years (not later than 1st January 2005)/ 16 years during the commencement of course
18.7 years (not earlier than 2nd January 2002)/ 19 years during the commencement of course
- For Army Wing of National Defence Academy: Passed class 12 examination conducted by a state education board or university.
- For Air Force and Naval Wings of National Defence Academy and for the 10+2 cadet entry scheme at the Indian Naval Academy: Passed class 12 or equivalent with Physics and Mathematics conducted by a state education board or university.
- Candidates who are appearing in class 12 or equivalent examination can also apply for the exam.
- Candidates seeking admission to the National Defence Academy and Naval Academy examination must be physically fit as per the physical standards set by the conducting authority.
- Candidates who have resigned or withdrawn on disciplinary grounds from any of the training academies of Armed Forces are not eligible to apply for the exam.
NDA 2021 Vacancy
Vacancy for NDA 2021 has been not been released as of yet and will be announced along with the official notification on December 30, 2020.
Candidates can check previous year vacancies for some idea. The number of vacancies that will be filled through NDA 1 & 2 exam 2020 is given below. Candidates can go through the below number of vacancies for the UPSC NDA & NA I & II 2020 Exam:
UPSC NDA & NA I, II 2020 Vacancy:
National Defence Academy
370 (208 for Army, 42 for Navy and 120 for Air Force)
Naval Academy (10+2 Cadet Entry Scheme)
NDA 2021 Application Form
Dates have been declared for the NDA 2021 application form and the notification was released on the official website by December 30, 2020. NDA 2021 application form was released on December 30, 2020 and the last date to submit the application form is January 19, 2021. NDA-II Applications will be released on June 9, 2021, and the last date to submit the application form is July 29, 2021.
NDA 2021 Application Form Fee
Candidates must apply for the exam through the online method only. Candidates can pay an application fee either in online mode or through offline mode. An application fee of INR 100 can either be deposited as cash in any branch of the SBI or it can be paid by using the net banking facility of SBI or by using Debit Card/Credit Card. Candidates who select the "Pay by Cash" mode, should take a printout of the system generated pay-in-slip and deposit the fee at the counter of SBI Branch on the next working day only. Candidates belonging to SC/ST/JCOs/NCOs/ORs are exempted from paying the application fee. Candidates are required to upload a recent photograph and signature as per the required format. A page with the candidate's registration number will be generated. Candidates must take a printout of this page.
The table below shows the particulars of the NDA 2021 Application Fee.
|Category||NDA Application Fee|
NDA 2021 Document Upload
While filling the NDA 2021 Application Form, candidates will need to upload certain documents. These documents must follow the standards prescribed by the exam authorities. Candidates have to upload their latest passport size photograph taken against a white background and a signature done in blue or black ink. Other specifications regarding these documents that candidates must follow are tabulated below.
|Document||File Size||File Format|
NDA 2021 Application Process
The UPSC NDA Application Process involves registration, filling the application form, uploading documents, and paying the application fees. These steps can be carried out online only. Given below is the step by step procedure for applying to the UPSC NDA exam.
How to Apply For NDA 2021?
The step by step procedures on how to apply for NDA 2021 Exam is mentioned below:
- Step 1: Visit the official website of UPSC NDA 2021 i.e. upsconline.gov.in
- Step 2: Register yourself by Providing all details that have been asked in part-I of the registration form.
- Step 3: In Part-II, the candidate has to provide his/her personal, basic, and contact details.
- Step 4: Upload the pre-scanned copies of photograph and signature.
- Photograph: Candidates must then upload a Scanned photograph should be in JPG format. The digital size of the file must be less than 40 kb and greater than 3 kb and resolution 140-pixel height by 110-pixel width and Bit Depth of image file should be 24 bit.
- Signature: Candidates must then upload their scanned signature in JPG format. The digital size of each file must be less than 40 kb and greater than 1 kb and resolution 110-pixel height by 140-pixel width and Bit Depth of image file should be 24 bit.
- Step 5: At last, make the payment for the successful submission of the NDA 2021 Application form.
- Candidates can pay the NDA 2021 Application fee through online SBI net banking or by cash via SBI Bank challan or through credit card/debit card.
- To pay the fee in cash, the candidate should take a printout of the challan generated online after completion of registration. The candidate can go to the nearest SBI branch for a depositing fee after 24 hours of the generation of Challan.
NDA 2021 Admit Card
UPSC NDA 2021 Admit card can only be downloaded from the official website. Admit cards will not be sent by post to any candidate. Candidates must take the admit card to the exam hall on the exam date. Candidates without admit card will not be allowed to write the examination. Candidates should visit the official website to get the latest updates about the examination including important dates.
NDA 2021 Admit Card Download
- Step 1: Visit the official UPSC website at www.upsc.gov.in and click on the active exam link to downloading the admit card.
- Step 2: Under the list of active exams click on the UPSC NDA 2021 exam link:
- Step 3: Candidates will be directed to a page where you can click on the link to access the admit card:
- Step 4: A new page will open where you should click on the link to download the admit card:
- Step 5: Once you click on the link, the candidate will be directed to the page to log in. Candidate can select the option given on the screen to log in with Registration Number/Roll Number.
- Step 6: Once you click on a choice, fill the details and click the 'Submit' button
- Step 7: UPSC NDA (I) Admit Card will be displayed on the computer screen.
- Step 8: Download and review the admit card.
- Step 9: Take a printout for the future.
Details Mentioned on the NDA 2021 Admit Card
Candidates can check with the below information regarding the contents of the NDA 2021 Admit Card:
- Candidate’s Name
- Date of Birth
- Roll Number
- Candidate’s Photograph and Signature
- Exam Date and Time
- Exam Centre
- Exam Centre Address
- Centre Code
Documents to carry with the NDA Admit Card
Candidates will need to carry certain documents to the exam centre. These documents are:
- An original photo identity proof
- Photocopy/xerox copy of the photo identity proof
- Two passport size photographs
Invigilators at the exam centre will verify these documents and then only applicants will be allowed to enter the exam hall. Candidates can bring any one of the following documents as a photo identity proof.
- Aadhar Card
- PAN Card
- Voter Card
- Permanent Driver's License
- Ration Card
NDA 2021 Exam Centres
The following is a list of NDA 2021 Exam Centres. Candidates can select any three from the following list of NDA 2021 exam centres based on their preference during the application process.
|Exam Centre||Exam Centre|
NDA 2021 Exam Pattern
The exam pattern has been set by the Union Public Service Commission based on which the NDA 2021 exam will be conducted. NDA exam will be conducted in offline mode (pen and paper-based test). There will be negative marking for every wrong answer. Candidates who score qualifying marks in the NDA 2021 written exam will be selected for the next phase which is the SSB Interview. In the interview, the candidates will be tested for intelligence and personality test.
|Paper||Number of questions||Marks||Duration|
|Paper-I (Mathematics)||120||300||150 min|
|Paper-II (General Ability)||150||600||150 min|
NDA 2021 Written Exam Pattern
The NDA 2021 exam has two parts, Mathematics and General aptitude and they are both conducted in offline mode (pen and paper-based). A total of 120 questions multiple choice based objective questions will be asked in the Mathematics section and a total of 150 multiple choice based objective type questions will be asked in the General Ability section. Both exams are being conducted for a duration of 2 hours and 30 minutes. Negative marking is practiced in the evaluation scheme.
|Type of Question||MCQ's||MCQ's|
|Medium||English and Hindi||English and Hindi|
|Sections||Mathematics||English and General Knowledge|
|Marking||2.5 for every correct answer||4 for every correct answer|
|Negative Marking||0.83 for every wrong answer||1.33 for every wrong answer|
NDA 2021 Interview
Candidates qualifying in the NDA 2021 written test will be called for the interview process. It includes two stages- Psychological Aptitude Test and Intelligence Test. Candidates qualifying the stage one interview process will be considered for the stage 2 process.
NDA 2021 Medical Test
After clearing the SSB interview, candidates are required to undergo a medical test.
NDA 2021 Syllabus
Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) sets the NDA 2021 syllabus. Syllabus for the NDA 2021 exam is divided into two Papers - Paper 1 (Mathematics) and Paper 2 (General Ability).
NDA 2021 Syllabus for Mathematics
NDA 2021 syllabus for Mathematics is given below:
- Matrices and Determinants
- Analytical Geometry of two and three Dimensions
- Differential Calculus
- Integral Calculus and Differential Equations
- Vector Algebra
- Statistics and Probability
NDA 2021 Syllabus for General Ability
NDA 2021 syllabus for General Ability is divided into two parts which are given below:
Part 'A' - English: It covers various topics like Grammar and Usage, Vocabulary, Comprehension, and Cohesion to test the candidate's proficiency in English.
Part 'B' - General Knowledge: It covers various subjects such as Physics, Chemistry, General Science, Social Studies, Geography, and Current Events.
NDA 2021 Reference Books
To score more in the NDA 2021 exam candidates have to prepare very well. As the competition is very high in this exam, candidates should go for the best NDA 2021 books available. Some of the books are listed below.
|Book||Author / Publication|
|UPSC NDA Examination||E S Ramasamy|
|Pathfinder NDA / NA||Arihant Publications|
|5800+ MCQ's NDA / NA||Disha Publications|
|Solved Papers NDA / NA||Arihant Publications|
|Mathematics for NDA / NA||R S Aggarwal|
|10 Practice sets NDA / NA||Arihant Publications|
NDA 2021 Results
Results for NDA 2021 Exam will be available on the official website one month after the date of examination. Results will be updated in the form of PDF and candidates can download and view the roll numbers of candidates who are shortlisted to attend the interview process. The shortlisted candidates then have to register on the official website. After the results of the interview are announced the final mark list of the candidates will be released within 15 days and candidates can view it until 30 days.
After the declaration of NDA 2021 results, a merit list will be prepared by UPSC on the basis of which candidates should appear before a services selection board for Intelligence and Personality test where the candidates for the Army/Navy wings of the NDA and 10+2 cadet entry scheme of the Naval Academy will be judged on Officers Potentiality and those for the Air Force in addition to the above will have to qualify Computerised Pilot Selection System (CPSS).
How to Check NDA 2021 Results?
- Step 1: Candidate should visit the official website upsc.gov.in
- Step 2: Click on the NDA 2021 result link shown on the home screen.
- Step 3: Exams for which results are announced will be displayed. Click on the pdf link for the UPSC NDA exam.
- Step 4: The candidate result will be displayed in the pdf file. Hence to find the particular candidate result, click 'Ctrl +F', enter your name or roll number to find your result easily.
- Step 5: Download and print the result for future reference.
NDA 2021 Cut Off
Minimum qualifying marks for the written examination i.e NDA 2021 Cut Off will be released just after the declaration of the result. Candidates securing the cut off marks will be called up for the two-stage selection procedure.
Cut Off Parameters
UPSC sets NDA 2021 cut off marks based on various parameters. Those are: Total candidates appearing for the NDA 2021 Exam, The Vacancies in the academies (NDA and NA), Previous year's cutoff marks, Performance of candidates, The difficulty level of exam.
NDA 2021 Cut Off (Expected)
|Section||Expected Cut Off|
|General Ability Test||370 - 410 out of 600|
|Mathematics||185 - 210 out of 300|
NDA Cut Off Previous Years
|Year||Minimum Qualifying Marks at the Written Stage (Out of 900 marks)|
|2017||342 (At least 34% in each paper)|
|2016||288 (At least 25% in each paper)|
|2015||306 (At least 30% in each paper)|
NDA 2021 Recruitment
UPSC NDA 2021 recruitment is conducted to recruit candidates for the posts of Army, Navy Air Force for the NDA and NA. The vacancies for 2021 has not been announced as of yet, it will be announced along with the official notification on December 30, 2020.
In 2020, there were a total of 413 vacancies to be filled for NDA II and 418 for NDA & NA I. The exam was conducted on September 6, 2020. Candidates can go through the below-tabulated data for previous year vacancies.
UPSC NDA & NA II 2020 Recruitment
UPSC NDA & NA II 2020 Recruitment
NDA 2021 Selection Process
Selection Process for NDA 2021 is a two-step procedure which consists of a written exam and an interview. The written test is qualifying in nature. Candidates need to score higher than the minimum qualifying marks in order to be eligible to attend the next round which is the interview. The interview has two stages namely Psychological Aptitude Test and Intelligence Test. Candidates will go through stage one on the first day of reporting at the selection centres. Candidates qualifying the Stage I will go through the Stage II. Final mark list of Candidates qualifying stage II will be released after the successful conduction of the interview. Those candidates need to submit the original class 10 pass certificate and class 12 pass certificate along with one photocopy of the same.
In order to be selected for the Army/Navy/Naval Academy and Air Force candidates will have to secure the minimum qualifying marks in the written examination as fixed by the Conducting Authority and Officer Potentiality Test as fixed by Service Selection Board.
NDA 2021 Salary
During the training in service academies, a fixed stipend or salary will be given to the Cadets which is INR 56,100. Candidates can go through the below-tabulated data based on the rank and pay level :
Lieutenant to Major
Lieutenant - Level 10 - INR 56,100 - INR 1,77,500
Captain - Level 10 B - INR 61,200 - INR 1, 93,900
Major - Level 11 - INR 69,400 - INR 2,07,200
Lieutenant Colonel to Major General
Lieutenant Colonel - Level 12 - INR 1,21,200- INR 2,12,400
Colonel - Level 13 - INR 1,30,600- INR 2,15,900
Brigadier - Level 13 - INR 1,39,600 - INR 2,17,600
Major General - Level 14 - INR 1,44,200 - INR 2,18,200
Lieutenant General HAG Scale
Level 15 INR 1,82,200 - INR 2,24,100
HAG + Scale
Level 16 - INR 2,05,400 - INR 2,24,400
VCOAS/Army Cadet/Lieutenant General (NFSG)
Level 17 - INR 2,25,000
Level 18 - INR 2,5,000
NDA 2021 Preparation Tips
- Candidates must know the syllabus thoroughly.
- Understand the exam pattern and the topics included.
- Make a realistic timetable and map out a preparation plan
- Invest in quality reference material and practice books.
- Practice until you are perfect using mock tests and previous year papers available.
UNION PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION
Shahjahan Road, New Delhi- 110069
Phone: 011-23098543 / 23385271 / 23381125 / 23098591
Email- [email protected]
Official website: www.upsc.gov.in