The syllabus for UPSC CDS seems quite challenging. To get a good preparation for the examination, the candidates who are eligible to apply for the Exam based on the UPSC CDS Eligibility have to know how to crack UPSC CDS exam and are advised to take a good look at the syllabus, exam pattern, UPSC CDS 2021 Important Dates and other facts about the exam. The UPSC CDS Exam pattern should be noted so that the preparation can be done based on that.
UPSC CDS 2021 Syllabus - English
- The question paper is designed to test your understanding of English and workmanlike use of words.
Questions in English are from:
- Reading Comprehension
- Para Jumbles
- Error Spotting
- Jumbled Sentences
- Sentence Correction
- Fill in the Blanks
UPSC CDS 2021 Syllabus - General Knowledge
- General Knowledge including knowledge of current events and everyday observation and experience in scientific aspects expected from an educated person who does not have special knowledge of any scientific subject.
- The paper includes questions on History of India and Geography of nature.
UPSC CDS 2021 Syllabus - Elementary Mathematics
Number System- Natural numbers, Integers, Rational and Real numbers.
Fundamental operations- addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, Square roots, Decimal fractions.
Unitary method- time and distance, time and work, percentages, applications to simple and compound interest, profit and loss, ratio and proportion, variation.
Elementary Number Theory- Division algorithm, Prime and composite numbers, Tests of divisibility by 2, 3, 4, 5, 9 and 11, Multiples and factors, Factorization Theorem, H.C.F. and L.C.M., Euclidean algorithm, Logarithms to base 10, laws of logarithms, use of logarithmic tables.
Basic Operations, simple factors, Remainder Theorem, H.C.F., L.C.M.
Theory of polynomials, solutions of quadratic equations, the relation between its roots and coefficients (Only real roots to be considered).
Simultaneous linear equations in two unknowns-analytical and graphical solutions. Simultaneous linear equations in two variables and their solutions.
Practical problems leading to two simultaneous linear equations or inequations in two variables or quadratic equations in one variable & their solutions.
Set language and set notation, Rational expressions, and conditional identities, Laws of indices.
Sine x, cosine x, Tangent x when 0< x < 90 degrees, Values of sin x, cos x and tan x, for x = 0, 30, 45, 60 and 90 degrees, Simple trigonometric identities, Use of trigonometric tables, simple cases of heights and distances.
Lines and Angles, Plane and plane figures
(E). Theorems on:
- Properties of angles at a point
- Parallel lines
- Sides and angles of a triangle
- Congruency of similar triangles
- The concurrence of medians and altitudes
- Properties of angles, sides, and diagonals of a parallelogram, rectangle and square
- Circles and its properties including tangents and normals
Areas of squares, rectangles, parallelograms, triangle, and circle. Areas of figures which can be split up into these figures (Field Book) Surface area and volume of cuboids, lateral surface and volume of right circular cones and cylinders, surface area and volume of spheres.
(G). Statistics: Collection and tabulation of statistical data, Graphical representation frequency polygons, histograms, bar charts, pie charts, etc. Measures of central tendency.
UPSC CDS 2021 - Intelligence and Personality Test
- In addition to the interview, the candidates will have to take an Intelligence test that includes verbal and non-verbal skills to assess their basic intelligence.
- They will also be put to Group Tests such as group discussions, group planning, outdoor group tasks, and asked to give brief lectures on specified subjects.
- All these tests are conducted to judge and understand the mental calibre of the candidate.
- In broad terms, this is an assessment of not only his intellectual qualities but also his social traits and interests in current affairs.