The Tamil Nadu Public Service Commission conducts the Combined Civil Services Examination-II to shortlist candidates for recruitment to various Civil Services in Tamil Nadu. Through the TNPSC Group 2 exam, candidates are selected for different posts under Group 2 and 2A.
- What is TNPSC Group 2 Exam?
- TNPSC Group 2 2021 Notification
- TNPSC Group 2 2021 Exam date
- TNPSC Group 2 2021 Eligibility
- TNPSC Group 2 2021 Application Process
- TNPSC Group 2 2021 Vacancy
- TNPSC Group 2 2021 Admit Card
- TNPSC Group 2 2021 Exam Pattern
- TNPSC Group 2 2021 Exam Centre
- TNPSC Group 2 2021 Answer Key
- TNPSC Group 2 2021 Syllabus
- TNPSC Group 2 2021 Result
- TNPSC Group 2 2021 Study Material
- TNPSC Helpdesk
What is TNPSC Group 2 Exam?
The TNPSC Group-2 2021 is a state-level exam conducted each year for the candidates who want to join the civil services of Tamil Nadu. The full form of TNPSC is the Tamil Nadu Public Service Commission which usually consists of Four groups namely Group 1, 2, 3, and 4. The TNPSC Group-2 further consists of two divisions which are TNPSC Group -2 and TNPSC Group -2 (A).
|TNPSC Group 2 2021 Exam Highlights|
|Exam Name||Tamil Nadu Public Service Commission Group 2 Exam|
|Acronym||TNPSC Group 2|
|Frequency of Exam||Once a year|
|Language of Exam||English, Tamil|
Prelims: 3 hours, Mains: 3 hours +1 hour 30 minutes
|Mode of Exam||Offline|
TNPSC Group 2 2021 Notification
The TNPSC Group 2 2021 notification is expected to be released soon on the official website of the Tamil Nadu Public Service Commission. Candidates applying for TNPSC Group 2 2021 must keep a close check and complete the registration process before the deadline.
TNPSC Group 2 2021 Exam date
Candidates applying for the TNPSC Group 2 exam should have a clear idea about the exam date. Due to the ongoing COVID pandemic, all the dates have been postponed by the conducting authority. Candidates must keep these dates in mind while chalking out their preparation plans. The official dates will be published once the notifications are out.
The tentative exam dates for TNPSC Group 2 are tabulated below.
|TNPSC Group 2 2021 Application Form Release||May 14, 2021|
|Last date of TNPSC Group 2 2021 Application Form||Jun 14, 2021|
|TNPSC Group 2 2021 Admit Card Release Date||To be announced|
|TNPSC Group 2 2021 Exam (Prelims)||To be announced|
|TNPSC Group 2 Prelims Result Declaration||To be announced|
|TNPSC Group 2 2021 Exam (Mains)||To be announced|
|TNPSC Group 2 2021 Result Declaration (Mains)||To be announced|
TNPSC Group 2 2021 Eligibility Criteria
The TNPSC Group 2 2021 has various posts, and the eligibility criteria are different for each one of them. However, the candidates must possess a Bachelor's degree or a Master's degree in certain specified fields or subjects for the particular posts they are willing to apply in. Candidates must ensure that they qualify the eligibility criteria before registering for the TNPSC Group 2 exam. Candidates should also have a good knowledge of the Tamil language.
Candidates must have attained a Bachelor's Degree in the relevant stream, from a recognized University.
Only Indian Nationals are allowed to participate and appear for the TNPSC Group 2 exam.
The minimum age and maximum age required depends on the type of post a candidate wants. The detailed age limit criteria are mentioned below.
|Name of the Post||Minimum Age limit (for all categories)||Upper age limit (Unreserved)|
|Sub-Registrar Grade- II||20||30|
|Probation Officer in the Prison Department||22||30|
|Probation Officer in the Social Defence Department||26||40|
|For all posts (except Sub-Registrar Grade – II, Probation Officer in the Prison Department and Social Defence Department)||18||30|
Age relaxation: For differently-abled candidates, an age limit concession of up to 10 years is given above the upper age limit. There is no upper age limit for candidates belonging to Scheduled Caste(SC), Scheduled Tribe(ST), Other Backward Class (OBC) and destitute widows of all categories.
TNPSC Group 2 2021 Application Process
Candidates aspiring for the TNPSC Group 2 should apply for the exam through online on the official website of the TNPSC. The registration comprises 4 simple process which is mentioned below. The application form is expected to be available from May 14, 2021 and candidates must apply before the last date.
How to fill the TNPSC Group 2 Application Form?
Step 1 - TNPSC Group 2 Exam Registration
Candidates must register themselves on the official website of TNPSC - tnpsc.gov.in. It is a One Time Registration (OTR) process which is valid for a period of five years. Candidates who have already done their One-Time Registration process can skip this step.
Candidates need to fill all the mandatory details in the online application form during the One-Time Registration process. Candidates must upload the scanned copy of passport size color photograph, signature, and educational certificates. Once the prerequisite details are filled and documents are uploaded by the candidate, they have to pay the one-time registration fee in online mode. The registration fee is INR 150.
Step 2 - Filling the application form
- Once the OTR process is completed, applicants can log in to their TNPSC Group 2 application form using their One-Time Registration ID and password. Candidates should fill the TNPSC Group-2 application form for the post they wish to apply. Candidates have to fill mandatory personal and educational details such as Candidate name, post applied, date of birth, communication and permanent address, mobile number, email ID, exam centre choice, educational qualification details etc.
Step 3: TNPSC Group 2 Application Fee Payment
- Once all the details have been provided, candidates must review the entire application form and then proceed to pay the application fees.
- The TNPSC Group 2 application fee payment for Prelims paper can be paid online through credit card/ debit card/ net banking or offline at State Bank of India/ Indian Bank/ post offices. The TNPSC Group 2 Mains paper application fee should be paid online by only those candidates who qualify the Prelims examination.
- The details of the TNPSC Group 2 application fee is given below.
150Prelims- INR 100
Mains- INR 150
|SC/ST/OBC, Ex-Servicemen, Widows||Exempted|
Candidates who have paid the TNPSC Group 2 2021 registration fee do not have to pay for the next five years in case they reappear for the next TNPSC Group 2 exams.
Step 4: Submit the TNPSC Group 2 Application Form
Once the application fee is paid successfully, candidates need to submit the TNPSC Group 2 application form by clicking on the "Submit" button. Candidates should take the printout or save their application in PDF format for future references.
TNPSC Group 2 2021 Vacancy
As of 2021, the TNPSC Group-2021 Exam dates are officially not announced, however, the vacancies for TNPSC Group 2 2021 jobs are estimated to be around 1500 - 3000. The details of TNPSC Group 2 Vacancy and the salaries being offered are as given in the table below:
|Level||TNPSC Group 2 Posts||Salary|
|Level 19||Industrial Co-operative Officer in the Industries and Commerce Department||INR 37,200- INR 1,17,600|
||INR 36,900- INR 1,16,600|
||INR 36,400- INR 1,15,700|
||INR 35,600- INR 1,12,800|
||INR 35,400 - INR 1,12,400|
||INR 19,500- INR 62,000|
|Level 10||Revenue Assistant in Revenue Department||INR 20,600- INR 65,500|
TNPSC Group 2 2021 Admit Card
The TNPSC Group 2 2021 Admit Card will be released on the official website. Candidates will have to download their Admit Card through the link provided on the site. The Admit Card shall be released separately for TNPSC Group 2 2021 Prelims, TNPSC Group 2 2021 mains, and TNPSC Group 2 2021 interview.
How to download the TNPSC Group 2 Admit Card?
To download the TNPSC Group 2 Admit Card, follow these steps:
- Visit the official website.
- Search for the link "TNPSC Group 2 2021 Admit Card."
- Enter login credentials.
- Click on the Submit button.
- The screen will display the Admit Card.
- Download the Admit Card and take the printout of the same.
TNPSC Group 2 2021 Exam Pattern
The TNPSC Group 2 2021 consists of two groups, namely TNPSC Group 2 and TNPSC Group 2(A). The TNPSC Group 2 are known to be interview posts where candidates will be qualified according to the preliminary, mains and interview performance. At the same time, TNPSC Group 2(A) are non-interview posts where candidates will be trained as per their performance on the written exams which are the preliminary and the mains TNPSC Group 2 2021 exams.
|Number of Papers||Paper 1||Paper 1 and Paper 2|
|Sections||3 sections- General Studies, Aptitude and Mental Ability||
|Type of Question||MCQ||
|Qualifying Marks||90 marks||
|Time Duration||3 hours or 180 minutes||
TNPSC Group 2 2021 Interview
The candidates will be selected for the interview based on the marks obtained in the TNPSC Group 2 2021 prelims and mains exam. The interview shall consist of 40 marks.
TNPSC Group 2 2021 Exam Centres
Candidates should choose their exam centre preference at the time of filling the TNPSC Group 2021 application form. There are around 115 exam centres where the Group 2 Preliminary exam will be conducted. In the case of the TNPSC Group 2 Mains exam, there will be 15 exam centres across Tamil Nadu.
Preliminary Exam Centres
The TNPSC Group 2 exam centres for the preliminary exam along with the district is given below.
Mains Exam Centres
The TNPSC Group 2 Mains exam will be conducted in 15 cities across Tamil Nadu. The details are given below.
TNPSC Group 2 Answer Key
The TNPSC Group 2 2021 answer keys will be released on the official website in the form of PDF. Candidates can download the answer key to get a rough idea on the scores of their exams and if their answers are correct or not. The answer keys for the previous year of TNPSC Group 2 can also be found in the official site along with the TNPSC Group 2 previous year question papers. The answers are given in the form of pdfs that the candidates can download and evaluate.
TNPSC Group 2 Syllabus
The TNPSC Group 2 2021 syllabus for prelims and mains is discussed in detail below. The candidates are advised to go through the list of topics and chalk out a study plan for themselves, to qualify this examination with a good score.
TNPSC Group 2 Prelims Syllabus
The TNPSC Group 2 2021 syllabus for prelims comprises of various topics from General Science, General Knowledge, Polity, History, and Geography. It would also judge the candidate's mental ability. The elaborate syllabus for TNPSC Group 2 Examination is given below:
- Scientific Knowledge and Scientific temper
- Power of Reasoning - Rote Learning Vs Conceptual Learning
- Science as a tool to understand the past, present and future,
- Nature of Universe
- General Scientific Laws
- Mechanics - Properties of Matter,
- Force, Motion and Energy
- The everyday application of the basic principles of Mechanics,
- Electricity and Magnetism, Light, Sound, Heat, Nuclear Physics, Laser, Electronics and Communications.
- Elements and Compounds, Acids, Bases, Salts, Petroleum Products, Fertilizers, Pesticides;
- Main concepts of Life Science, Classification of Living Organisms, Evolution, Genetics, Physiology, Nutrition, Health and Hygiene, Human diseases;
- Environment and Ecology.
- Latest diary of events
- National symbols
- Profile of States
- Eminent personalities and places in the news – Sports, Books and authors;
- Polity - Political parties and political system in India
- Public awareness and General administration
- Welfare oriented Government schemes and their utility,
- Problems in Public Delivery Systems;
- Geography - Geographical landmarks;
- Economics - Current socio-economic issues;
- Science - Latest inventions in Science and Technology.
Geography of India
- Location – Physical features - Monsoon, rainfall, weather and climate - Water resources - Rivers in India - Soil, minerals and natural resources - Forest and wildlife - Agricultural pattern; Transport - Communication; Social geography – Population density and distribution - Racial, linguistic groups and major tribes; Natural calamity – Disaster Management – Environmental pollution: Reasons and preventive measures – Climate change – Green energy.
- Culture and history of India - Indus valley civilization - Guptas, Delhi Sultans, Mughals and Marathas - Age of Vijayanagaram and Bahmani Kingdoms - South Indian history, Change and Continuity in the Socio-Cultural History of India; Characteristics of Indian culture, Unity in diversity – Race, language, custom; India as a Secular State, Social Harmony
- Indian Polity - Constitution of India - Preamble to the Constitution - Salient features of the Constitution - Union, State and Union Territory; Citizenship, Fundamental Rights, Fundamental Duties, Directive Principles of State Policy; Union Executive, Union legislature – State Executive, State Legislature – Local governments, Panchayat Raj; Spirit of Federalism: Centre-State Relationships; Election - Judiciary in India – Rule of law; Corruption in public life – Anti-corruption measures – Lokpal and Lokayukta - Right to Information - Empowerment of women - Consumer protection forums, Human rights charter.
- Indian Economy - Nature of Indian economy – Five-year plan models - an assessment – Planning Commission and Niti Ayog; Sources of revenue – Reserve Bank of India – Fiscal Policy and Monetary Policy - Finance Commission – Resource sharing between Union and State Governments - Goods and Services Tax; Structure of Indian Economy and Employment Generation, Land reforms and Agriculture - Application of Science and Technology in agriculture - Industrial growth - Rural welfare oriented programmes – Social problems – Population, education, health, employment, poverty.
- Indian national Movement - National renaissance – Early uprising against British rule - Indian National Congress - Emergence of leaders – B.R.Ambedkar, Bhagat Singh, Bharathiar, V.O.Chidambaranar, Jawaharlal Nehru, Kamarajar, Mahatma Gandhi, Maulana Abul Kalam Azad, Thanthai Periyar, Rajaji, Subash Chandra Bose and others. Different modes of Agitation: Growth of Satyagraha and Militant movements; Communalism and partition.
- History, Culture, Heritage, Socio-Political movements of Tamil Nadu - History of Tamil Society, related Archaeological discoveries, Tamil Literature from Sangam age till contemporary times; Thirukkural: Significance as Secular literature, to Everyday Life, Impact of Thirukkural on Humanity, Thirukkural and Universal Values - Equality, Humanism, etc. Relevance to Socio - Politico-Economic affairs, Philosophical content in Thirukkural Role of Tamil Nadu in freedom struggle - Early agitations against British Rule - Role of women in the freedom struggle, Evolution of 19th and 20th Century Socio-Political movements in Tamil Nadu - Justice Party, Growth of Rationalism - Self Respect Movement, Dravidian movement and Principles underlying both these movements, Contributions of Thanthai Periyar and Perarignar Anna.
- Development administration in Tamil Nadu - Human Development Indicators in Tamil Nadu and a comparative assessment across the Country – Impact of Social Reform movements in the Socio-Economic Development of Tamil Nadu, Political parties and Welfare schemes for various sections of people – Rationale behind Reservation Policy and access to Social Resources - Economic trends in Tamil Nadu – Role and impact of social welfare schemes in the Socio-economic development of Tamil Nadu, Social Justice and Social Harmony as the Cornerstones of Socio-Economic Development, Education and Health systems in Tamil Nadu, Geography of Tamil Nadu and its impact on Economic growth, Achievements of Tamil Nadu in various fields, e-governance in Tamil Nadu.
Aptitude & Mental Ability
- Highest Common Factor (HCF) - Lowest Common Multiple (L.C. M)
- Ratio and Proportion
- Simple interest - Compound interest - Area - Volume - Time and Work
- Logical Reasoning - Puzzles-Dice - Visual Reasoning - Alphanumeric Reasoning – Number Series
TNPSC Group 2 Mains Syllabus
Title 1 -Tamil to English translation
Title 2 - English to Tamil Translation
Title 1 - Precis writing
Title 2 - Comprehension
Title 3 - Hints Development
Title 4 - Essay writing on the following topics from 'Thirukkural.'
- (a) Significance as a Secular literature
- (b) Relevance to Everyday Life
- (c) Impact of Thirukkural on Humanity
- (d) Thirukkural and Universal Values - Equality, Humanism, etc.
- (e) Relevance to Socio - Politico-Economic affairs
- (f) Philosophical content in Thirukkural
Title 5 - Letter writing - Official
The following syllabus applies for Paper I: Title 1 and Title 2; Paper II: Title 1 and Title 3 from the Papers as mentioned above and titles -
- Origin and Development of Tamil Civilization - From classical antiquity to modernity.
- Sangam Period Literature along with the historical events related to Language Development
- Musical Tradition of Tamil Nadu - Folklore - music, dance, Musical, and folk drama - From classical age to post-modern age with its modifications.
- Dramatic Art Form - Street Theatre - Folk Theatre - Conventional Theatrical techniques.
- Socio-Economic History - Overseas trade - evidence from classical literature like "Pattinapalai". Rationalist Movements - Dravidian Movement and Self Respect Movement.
- Contribution of Social Reform Movements in the implementation of Social Welfare Measures and Socio-Economic Development of Tamil Nadu - Reservation Policy and its Benefits - Contribution of Social Justice and Social Harmony in the Socio-Economic Development of Tamil Nadu.
- Feminism – Socio - feminism, Literary feminism - Different Concepts and Perceptions.
- Contemporary Tamil Language - Computer Tamil Diction - Legal Tamil - Tamil as Administrative Language - New genres.
TNPSC Group 2 2021 Result
TNPSC Group 2 2021 results will be announced on the official website. Candidates can follow the given steps to view their results.
How to download TNPSC Group 2 Result?
- Visit the official website of TNPSC which is www.tnpsc.gov.in
- Click on the results tab and then the result link from the drop-down menu
- Then click on the latest result table
- There will be the option of "POSTS INCLUDED IN COMBINED CIVIL SERVICES EXAMINATION-2(GROUP-II SERVICES)" in the table. Click on it.
- Then click on the written exam marks.
- The registration number of the candidates must be entered in the new window.
- Click on submit, and the results will appear on the screen.
- There will be the download and print options; candidates can download and print out the same to keep it for future reference.
TNPSC Group 2 2021 Study Material
TNPSC Group 2 has many study materials that are available online. Some of the important books that can help aspiring candidates to prepare are given below-
|Manual for TNPSC Examinations (General Studies)||M. Karthikeyan|
|TNPSC GROUP II – A COMBINED CIVIL SERVICES II GENERAL STUDIES & GENERAL ENGLISH BASED ON SAMACHEER KALV||A.Basheer Ahamed, S.Sambasivan|
|TNPSC GROUP II – A COMBINED CIVIL SERVICES II (GENERAL STUDIES & GENERAL TAMIL)||by EDITORIAL BOARD|
|TNPSC Group 1 (Main) Paper 2 Exam Book||V.V.K. Subburaj|
TNPSC Group 2 Helpdesk
In case of any queries related to the TNPSC Group 2 exam and admission procedure, candidates can contact the conducting authority. The address, helpline number, email ID and website details are mentioned below.
Address: Tamil Nadu Public Service Commission
TNPSC Road, V.O.C.Nagar, Park Town,
Chennai-600003, Tamil Nadu, India
Helpline Number: 1800 425 1002
Official Website: tnpsc.gov.in
E-mail: [email protected]
What is the upper age limit for applying to TNPSC Group 2?
The maximum age limit to apply for TNPSC Group 2 is 30 years. For SC/ST/PH there is no maximum age limit. No maximum age limit means the candidate must not have exceeded the age of 58 years.
Will the result be given offline?
The results for TNPSC Group 2 can be checked online on the official website and be downloaded for future reference.
How many papers are there in the TNPSC Group 2 Mains Exam?
The TNPSC Group 2 Mains will consist of Two papers; Paper 1 which will have English to Tamil ,Tamil to English Translation and Paper 2 will have Letter writing, Precis Writing, Essay Writing, Comprehension, Hints development.
Where can I search for previous years answer keys?
The official website of TNPSC will have the previous year answer which can be downloaded by the candidates.
What type of question will be asked for TNPSC Group 2 exam?
The TNPSC Group 2 will have two exams Prelims which will consist of MCQ type questions and Mains which will consist of descriptive type questions for both the papers.