Devaswom Board Pampa College, Parumala was established in 1968 to offer quality higher education to the students in and around Mannar and the nearby areas in various taluks of Aalappuzha and present Pathanamthitta districts.
Seeds of this educational edifice were sown by a group of optimistic, broadminded social workers of this locality (Parumala, Kadapra and Mannar) and the visionary administrators with the Travancore Devaswom Board (TDB). A committee headed by Sri. Vaidyan Chandrasekhara Pillai as Secretary, Sri. Kadapra Sadasivan Nair as President and Sri.Kottakkal Sreedharan Nair as Treasurer were formed to realize their dream of setting up an institution for higher education at Parumala. Their efforts were well supported by the locals of the region and the then TDB President Sri.Prakkulam Bhasi, Sri.P.K.Chandranandan and Sri.Harihara Subrahmanya Iyer (the then TDB Members). Thanks to their efforts and initiative of the then Revenue Minister K.R.Gowri Amma, an area of 25 acre campus was allotted beside the Pampa river by the Kerala Government on a nominal lease arrangement for a period 99 years.
The college was started as a Junior College affiliated to the University of Kerala in 1968 managed by the Travancore Devaswom Board. Foundation stone for the college building was laid down by Late Sri.M.K.Madhavan Nair I.A.S., and the building was inaugurated by Sri.Prakkulam Bhasi. Four years later, the college was upgraded as a first degree college in 1978-79 attaining affiliation for B.Sc.Mathematics and B.A.Economics. Later, degree courses on B.Sc.Physics (1979), B.Sc.Zoology (1980), B.Sc.Chemistry (1981) and B.Com.(1983) were started. In 1983, when the Kerala University was bifurcated, Pampa College opted for affiliation to Mahathma Gandhi University, Kottayam. The college became a Centre of Post Graduate studies with the affiliation of M.Sc.Mathematics course in 1984-85 and in 1995-96, M.Sc. Physics course was started. In 1997-98 a vocational B.Sc. course was started with Botany main and B.A.English vocational was started in 1998-99, followed by M.Sc. Chemistry in 2000-01.
Vision of our college is to disseminate the fruits of knowledge and to enlighten the human mind globally. In order to attain the final goal of life (MOKSHA) one should follow a path as shown by our ancestors as Dharma, Artha and Kama. Dharma– is doing one’s duty to oneself and to the humanity at large. Artha – is earning money for oneself and for the benefit of the successive generations through righteous means and Kama – is the enjoyment of the worldly desires without resorting to improper ways. Moksha - is attaining the final goal of becoming one with the infinite soul. To achieve and attain the aims of life one has to live one’s life, by all means facing the realities and situations in the real life. Education is the essential factor, which makes man a ‘Man’. He/ She should attain the capacity for community life and may also find proper means of livelihood through education. Therefore cultural and spiritual development of human being is also necessary.
The Mission of the college is to ensure an all-round development of the student’s personality through curricular and co-curricular activities in the college. We work to attain our mission with the following objectives:
- To provide well diversified courses to meet different educational aspirations and requirements of students from all walks of life.
- Using interactive teaching and learning experiences by qualified and experienced faculty members.
- Providing a process of continuous learning and evaluation that will enable students to be on par with the global standards.
- To nurture a holistic development of skills through co-curricular activities, access to sports, games and outreach activities thus equipping students to become good citizens.
- To recognize talents among staff and students through recognition and rewards.
- Providing assistance to needy students through scholarships etc. • Commitment to carry out our mission on a nationalist framework of action through a secular, and transparent methodology.
- Establishing a strong alumni network which will engage in the development of the institution.
- Department of Economics
- Department of Political Science
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Physics
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Zoology
- Department of Botany
- Department of Statistics
- Department of History
- Department of Commerce
For more details about admission please contact :-
Ph: 0479 - 2312247, 2312357
Email: [email protected]