Find essential information regarding the bonafide certificate, such as its applications, requirements, and format. Learn how to acquire a Bonafide certificate.
The word "Bonafide" comes from Latin, where its literal meaning refers to "in good faith," which ideally refers to a person who has no intention to cheat or deceive. Accordingly, the bonafide certificate is a piece of a document issued to an individual as proof of being part of an institution that they were once associated with over a certain period. Therefore, a bonafide letter is a general requirement at the time of admission or joining a new organization. In this article, you can find valuable information regarding the significance of a bonafide certificate and its various applications and aspects.
Table of Contents
- What are the uses of a bonafide certificate?
- How to apply for a bonafide certificate
- Application format for student bonafide certificate
- Sample bonafide certificate for students
The Purpose of a Bonafide Certificate
A bonafide certificate has different uses for individuals belonging to different categories, such as school students, college students, and working professionals. An institution or organisation issues a bonafide certificate upon the request of students, graduates, or employees. Generally, the certificate is attested and signed by the head of the institute or organisation.
Individuals may require a bonafide certificate in the following circumstances:
- Students appealing for concessions or student permits granted by public transport companies such as city buses, local trains and metros.
- While applying for a passport.
- For visa forms during the allocation of abroad student visas or working overseas as an employee.
- Some lending institutions may ask for this certificate when granting loans to students at concessional charges.
- To apply for various student scholarships.
- It can be used across all categories at the time of passport and visa application or extension.
- Students when shifting schools, applying for educational loans, and seeking admission to colleges and universities.
- Working individuals may require a bonafide certificate for bank loans, open a new bank account, or apply for a new job.
How to Apply for a Bonafide Certificate?
The application form needed by individuals who wish to acquire a bonafide certificate is independent of the institution or organization. Some institutes make the application forms available online on their official portal. In contrast, others may require the individual to collect the application forms from their respective institute or organization's office.
Suppose the institute or organization does not provide the application forms. In that case, the individual must write a letter requesting the bonafide certificate addressed to the institute's head or organization or the respective person. The applicant may be required to pay a nominal fee amount for obtaining a bonafide certificate during the application process.
Application Format for Student Bonafide Certificate
While requesting for a bonafide certificate, the applicant must explicitly mention the purpose of requesting the same, in the application form. Kindly note the application form structure varies according to the institution. However, it has a general nature, and the following format will serve as an example for students willing to apply.
Additional documents required while applying for the bonafide certificate:
Students must request for the bonafide certificate in a written application to the school/institution head. At the time of applying for the bonafide letter, the student will require the following documents:
- Application form/Handwritten letter
- Photocopy of the student's ID card
- Fee receipt
Sample Bonafide Certificate for Students
A typical bonafide letter is likely to look like the one given below. Although the necessary information and details provided in the bonafide certificate issued to individuals are the same across all categories, it is essential to note that the format may vary and additional information may be present.
A bonafide letter issued to a student includes information on the student's college name, course name, and course duration. On the other hand, for an employee, the certificate contains information on the organization's name, the department where the individual was employed and the position held in the organization.