The UK has always been one of the popular destinations for international students willing to pursue higher education at some top-ranked universities. Around 30,000 Indian students go through the UK student visa process in order to be able to study in the UK. The UK student visa fees in Indian rupees are around 31,323 INR.
International students who are above 16 years of age and have been offered a place on a course by a licensed student sponsor can apply for a student visa in the UK to be able to live and study in the UK. Students who have enough money to support themselves and pay for the course of choice and can speak, read, write and understand English are also eligible to apply for a UK student visa. Students who are 18 and above and are pursuing a course at degree level can stay in the UK for up to 5 years. Students studying below degree level can usually stay in the UK for up to 2 years.
International students applying from outside the UK are advised to submit the UK student visa application 6 months before the start of the course. The UK student visa processing time in this case is approximately 3 weeks. Students applying for a UK student visa from inside the UK should apply at the earliest of 3 months before the start of their course. The UK student visa application process should be completed before the current visa expires. The UK student visa processing time in this case is about 8 weeks. International students can extend their student visas in the UK if their new course start date is less than 28 days after the current visa expiry date.
Table of Contents
- UK Student Visa Types
- UK Student Visa Application
- Documents Required for UK Student Visa Application
- UK Student Visa Requirements for Indian Students
- UK Student Visa Fees
- UK Student Visa News
- UK Student Visa New Rules (2020) for Indian Students
UK Student Visa Types
Non-EU students are eligible for three types of UK student visas. The visa types depend on the choice of program. Most international students who are enrolled in full-time courses require a Tier 4 student visa for studying in the UK. The details of the three UK student visa types are given below:
- Short-term Study Visa: The short-term student visa for the UK is for the duration of 6 or 11 months. International students over 16 years of age are eligible to apply for this visa and should be enrolling in a 6-month short course in any UK educational institution or an 11-month English Language Course. This UK student visa fee is 97 GBP for 6 months or 186 GBP for 11 months.
- Tier 4 Student Visa (General): This UK student visa is valid for one month over the duration of the program. International students over 16 years of age enrolling in any course longer than 6 months duration are eligible to apply for this UK student visa. This visa costs 348 GBP.
- Tier 4 Student Visa (Child): This student visa UK is for students between 4- 17 years of age. The duration of the student visa for applicants under 16 years of age is 6yrs + 4 months and the visa duration for applicants between 16-17 years of age is 3 yrs + 4 months. The cost of this visa is 348 GBP.
UK Student Visa Application
Students can apply for a UK student visa from India either by visiting the UK Embassy or can apply online through the official website of the UK Government. Non-EU students can apply for a student visa for UK nearly 6 months before the start of the course. The visa decision is out within 3 weeks of the application date. International students should pay £348 to apply for a UK student visa from outside the UK. The detailed UK student visa application process is explained below:
- Applicants should first enroll for Biometrics at a visa application center to obtain a Biometric Residence Permit
- He/ she should then complete the online application form
- The students should submit a negative Tuberculosis test result
- The applicant should then pay the UK student visa fees of 348 GBP
- Finally, the international student should appear for the interview
- UK student visa process takes about 3 weeks from the day of the application
Documents Required for UK Student Visa Application
International students applying for a student visa UK are required to attach the supporting documents along with the application. These documents act as proof of details mentioned by the applicant in the UK student visa application. Listed below are the important documents needed to apply for the UK study visa:
- Completed UK student visa application
- Passport details/ Valid travel document
- Criminal record check
- Tuberculosis test results
- Proof of funds- 1,265 GBP/month to live in London and 1,015 GBP/month for the rest of the UK
- Proof of payment of the UK student visa fees
- Immigration health surcharge of 150 GBP for one year of study
- Applicants under 18 are required to submit letters of consent from parents/ legal guardians
- Recent passport size photograph
UK Student Visa Requirements for Indian Students
The Tier 4 student visa for the UK is offered to international students who are at least 16 years old and want to pursue higher education in the UK. Some other UK student visa requirements for Indian students are as follows:
- The student should be over 16 years of age
- He/ she should be able to read, speak and understand English
- The candidate should have enough funds to support their studies in the UK
- The applicant should have an unconditional offer letter from a licensed university in the UK
- The student should have passed the Secured English Language Test (SELT) to prove knowledge of spoken and written English
- Students studying at degree level or higher should meet the CEFR level B2 of language proficiency
- The minimum IELTS score for a UK student visa is 4.03 overall for Tier 4 (General) student visa below degree level and 5.53 overall for degree level and above
- The UK student visa financial requirements for courses in London is around £1,334 per month (for up to 9 months). For courses outside London, it is £1,023 per month (for up to 9 months).
UK Student Visa Fees
The UK student visa fees in Indian rupees are approximately INR 33,349. Students can pay online either through MasterCard or Visa card. One can also pay through a demand draft or cash at the visa application center or selected branches of Standard Chartered Bank. The details of the UK student visa fees are given below:
- The UK student visa fees for students applying from outside the UK is £348
- Students willing to extend or switch to a student visa from inside the UK are expected to pay £475
- Short-term UK student visa fees are £97 for 6 months and £186 for 11 months
- Students are expected to pay an immigration health surcharge of £300 per year
- The charges for biometric verification is £19.20
UK Student Visa Latest News
The UK has introduced a points-based immigration system for international students. This immigration system treats both EU and non-EU citizens equally and is aimed at attracting students who can contribute to the UK’s economy. International students can work, or look for work, in the UK at any skill level for up to 2 years, or 3 years if they are a Ph.D. graduate.
UK Student Visa New Rules (2020) for Indian Students
The UK Government has offered the reinstatement of the two-year post-study work visa for international students. International students planning to pursue their higher studies in the UK starting from 2020-21 will benefit from the new immigration rules. This new rule applies to graduates of all higher education providers that are recognized as 'licensed visa sponsors'. At present, international students pursuing various bachelor’s and master’s degrees in the UK can stay back only for a period of four months. International students pursuing studies in select 27 UK universities can stay back for six months.