A Germany student visa is required for international students willing to live and study in Germany for a definite period of time. The quality of higher education, research infrastructure, teaching methodology, low-cost studies, and career prospects offered in Germany are incomparable to other countries. This attracts international students from all over the world to pursue their higher education in Germany.
A Germany study visa is an authorizing official document required to permit non-German nationals to enter and stay in the territory of Germany for the purpose of studying, in a specific intended period. The student visa for Germany from India should be applied at the Embassy or Consulate of Germany. Students required to stay in Germany for more than 90 days (3 months) will be called to also get a Residence Permit early enough after their arrival in Germany. The Germany visa process should be started typically 3 months before the start of planned studies
Students are required to use a blocked account as proof of financial support to increase their chances of getting a Germany student visa. A blocked account is a special type of bank account in Germany for international students to prove enough funds for one year of study. International students should have a minimum of €10,332 in the bank account before applying for a Germany student visa.
Why is a Germany Student Visa Needed?
Germany offers tuition-free education for international students at public universities and also has an affordable cost of living compared to other top countries. Around 37% of the international students in Germany pursue engineering courses with other popular courses being the law, economics, and social sciences. A Schengen visa is needed for a short stay in Germany for a course of duration less than 3 months. For a course that lasts more than 3 months, international students should apply for a German National Visa. International students should plan on getting a blocked account and travel insurance before applying for a Germany study visa. Details about the Germany student visa are given below:
- A Germany student visa is needed for all international students willing to study in Germany excepts students from European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA), and Swiss nationals
- International students with a German National Visa are required to apply for a Residence Permit to extend their stay in Germany. This should be done while the entry visa is still valid
- A Residence Permit in Germany is valid for 2 years and can be extended depending on the duration of the course
Types of Germany Study Visa
A Germany study visa is issued for a range of study levels and degrees. Students enrolling in a pre-academic measure or a non-academic German language course also require a valid study visa to be able to live and study in Germany. The three types of Germany student visas are listed below:
- German Student Visa (Visum Zur Studienzwecken): This is the most common type of student visa opted by international students who are already admitted to one of the German universities and are ready to pursue their education at a full-time university program
- German Student Applicant Visa (Visum Zur Studienbewerbung): International applicants require this visa if he/ she needs to be in Germany to apply for university admission in person. The student applicant visa for Germany does not facilitate students to pursue studies in Germany and can only be used for the university application process.
- German Language Course Visa: This type of visa is required for international students willing to study a German language course of duration between three months and one year.
How to Apply for a Germany Student Visa?
International students who have received a letter of acceptance from the German university can proceed to apply for a Germany student visa. All necessary supporting documents should be ready for a smooth Germany visa process. The step by step Germany visa process is explained below:
- Students should first locate the nearest German Embassy or Consulate in their home country to get more information about the requirements and to set up a visa appointment
- He/ she should then go to the student visa sections to review all the specific requirements for their respective country and the procedures to set up a visa appointment
- The applicant should then schedule a visa appointment by following the steps described on the official website of the German embassy. This should be done well in advance as a particular embassy could have many visa applications and it could take a longer time to process the Germany visa application form
- Once the visa appointment date is confirmed, the student should check if he/ she has all the documents ready and make sure to have everything together
- Finally, the applicant should get ready for the visa interview and pay the visa application fee of €60.00- €75.00. The payment confirmation should be shown at the time of the visa interview.
Germany Student Visa Checklist
International students applying for a Germany study visa are required to submit certain documents supporting the information they provide. It is mandatory to attach all the documents along with the visa application. Listed below are a few Germany student visa requirements:
- Valid Passport and copy of the passport’s information page
- Germany visa application form
- Letter of admission from a university/ institution in Germany
- Official academic transcripts- Degree certificates and mark sheets
- German language proficiency test scores
- Proof of finances
- 3 passport-size photographs
- Birth certificate
- Health Insurance
- Proof of payment to the German university/ college
- Demand Draft for the Germany student visa fee
- Applicants should also submit a declaration stating that the information provided is true and complete
- A cover letter should also be attached explaining the reason for the Germany visa application. The student may also be required to attach a German translation of this document
Germany Visa Fees
The Germany visa fees for international students is €75. The fees have to be paid via bank transfer. Cheques and credit card payments are not accepted. International students should send the money order in the name of the Embassy/ Consulate in their home country and it should not be older than two months. In the case of the visa application being rejected, the Germany visa fees are not reimbursed.
Candidates applying for a Residence Permit on arrival to Germany would have to pay up to €110 and wait for anywhere between 8-12 weeks for it to be processed. International students are therefore advised to apply for a Germany study visa as early as possible.
Germany Visa Processing Time
The processing time for a Germany student visa may take approximately 6-12 weeks from the day of application. The Short-stay Germany visa process takes about 15-30 days.