UPSC CSE, also known as Union Public Service Commission Civil Services Examination, is a national level entrance test held to recruit candidates into to various Civil Services of the Government of India. This examination is conducted by the Union Public Service Commission, India.
- December 17, 2020: UPSC has released the admit cards for the Combined Services 2020 Mains Exam. Candidates who had cleared the prelims and registered for the mains exam will be able to download the admit cards through the candidate login portal. Visit the UPSC CSE Admit Card page for the direct link.
- UPSC has announced the exam dates for UPSC CSE 2020 Mains exam. The schedule is released on the official website. Check the exam dates page for UPSC CSE Mains exam dates.
- What is UPSC CSE?
- UPSC CSE 2020 Exam Date
- UPSC CSE 2020 Eligibility
- UPSC CSE 2020 Syllabus
- UPSC CSE 2020 Exam Pattern
- UPSC CSE 2020 Application Form
- UPSC CSE 2020 Exam Centres
- UPSC CSE 2020 Admit Card
- UPSC CSE 2020 Answer key
- UPSC CSE 2020 Result
- UPSC CSE 2020 Vacancy
- UPSC CSE 2020 Exam Instructions
- Posts Offered through UPSC CSE
What is UPSC CSE?
- About: Union Public Service Commission Civil Service Examination (UPSC CSE) is a national level entrance examination conducted by the Union Public Service Commission for recruitment to various Civil Services of the Government of India, including the Indian Administrative Service (IAS), Indian Foreign Service (IFS), Indian Police Service (IPS) among many others.
- Conducting Authority: UPSC CSE is conducted by Union Public Service Commission. The Government of India recruits its civil servants and officials on the basis of merit, the middle management positions in the bureaucracy are buried through competitive exams.
- Expected Dates: The UPSC CSE 2020 official notification will be released on February 12, 2020 and prelims exam will be conducted on January 8, 2021
- Exam Pattern: UPSC 2020 have 3 exams:
- Prelims Exam (CSAT): The prelims exam consists of Multiple Choice based Objective type questions and the syllabus is General Studies & Engineering Aptitude Syllabus.
- Mains Exam: The mains exam consists of both Multiple choice based objective type questions and descriptive questions and the syllabus is Mental Ability, General Studies & Engineering Aptitude Syllabus.
- Personal Interview: Candidates who qualify the UPSC Mains Exam will be called for the Personality Test/ Interview.
- Candidates who belong to the general category can have a maximum of 6 attempts in the UPSC Civil Services Examination.
- The recruitment is done for Group-A and Group-B services. Group-A Services include IAS, IFS, and IPS among many others.
- UPSC 2019 Latest News: UPSC will allow candidates to withdraw their Applications starting from the year 2019. This step has been implemented observing that about 50% of candidates who fill the Application Forms do not attend the exam. Such candidates can withdraw their applications. However, fees will not be refunded by UPSC.
UPSC CSE 2020 Highlights
The below table gives all the details regarding the UPSC CSE 2020 Highlights.
|Exam Name||Union Public Service Commission Civil Service Examination|
|Conducting Authority||Union Public Service Commission, Government of India|
|Frequency||Once a Year|
|Exam Date||January 8, 2021 (Prelims); January 8, 2021(Mains)|
|Exam Centre||72 Cities in India (Approx.)|
|Mode||Offline i.e. Pen & Paper-based Test (PBT)|
|Question Type||Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ's) Preliminary - Objective Mains - Objective & Subjective|
|Exam Pattern||Phase 1: Civil Services (Preliminary) Examination (Objective Type) Phase 2: Civil Services (Mains) Examination (Descriptive Type) Phase 3: Personal Interview (Personality Test)|
|Total Marks||Preliminary/ Paper I - 200, Paper-II - 200 Mains/ Paper A - 300, Paper B - 300, Paper I to VII - 250 Personal Interview - 275|
|Negative Marking||Preliminary - 1/3 (0.33) Mains - 1/3 (only for Objective Type)|
|Syllabus Topics||History, Polity, Geography and Agriculture, Science and Technology, Ecology and Environment, Economics, Arts and Culture, Social Welfare and GK.|
|Duration||Preliminary - 2 Hours Mains - 3 Hours|
|Medium||English and Hindi|
UPSC CSE 2020 Important Dates
- Registration Date: Application Form will be available on the official website i.e. www.upsc.gov.in from February 12, 2020 and the last date to submit the Application Form is on March 3, 2020.
- Admit Card: The Admit Card will be available online for candidates on December 17, 2020.
- Examination: UPSC CSE 2020 will be conducted through Offline i.e. Pen & Paper-based Test (PBT) on October 4, 2020(Prelims) & January 8, 2021(Mains).
- Results: Result will be declared on the official website for all the candidates on February 5, 2021 (Tentative).
- Get more information about dates in UPSC CSE 2020 Important Dates section.
The following table needs to referred by the candidates which displays information regarding UPSC CSE 2020 Important Dates.
Important Schedule/ Events
Start Date to Fill UPSC CSE 2020 Online Application Form
February 12, 2020
Last Date to Submit UPSC CSE 2020 Online Application Form
March 3, 2020
Issue of Prelims UPSC CSE 2020 Admit Card
December 17, 2020
UPSC CSE 2020 Prelims Exam Date
October 4, 2020
UPSC CSE 2020 Prelims Result Announcement
October 23, 2020
Issue of Mains UPSC CSE 2020 Admit Card
|December 17, 2020 (Out Now)|
UPSC CSE 2020 Mains Exam Date
January 8, 2021, onwards
UPSC CSE 2020 Mains Result Announcement
To be announced
UPSC CSE 2020 Eligibility Criteria
The UPSC CSE 2020 Eligibility Criteria is structured by the Union Public Service Commission, Government of India. Candidates must make sure to fulfil all the eligibility criteria for UPSC CSE 2020 before proceeding to the UPSC CSE 2020 Application form. Applicants must go through the UPSC CSE 2020 Eligibility Criteria listed below for appearing in the entrance exam as issued by the conducting authority–
- Educational Qualification:
- Candidate must have passed a Bachelor's Degree in any discipline from a recognized university or from the Central Government of India.
- Candidates who are pursuing their final year or appearing for the final semester are also eligible to apply.
- Age Limit:
- The minimum and maximum age limit of the candidates must be 21 years and 32 years respectively.
- The relaxation in the upper age for the candidates of the SC and ST category will be 5 years and for the OBC category will be of 3 years.
- Nationality: The candidate must be an Indian Citizen.
- Get more information about eligibility in the UPSC CSE 2020 Eligibility section.
UPSC CSE 2020 Syllabus
- Preliminary Syllabus: The prelims section of UPSC CSE covers questions from History, Polity, Geography and Agriculture, Science and Technology, Ecology and Environment, Economics, Arts and Culture, Social Welfare and GK.
- Mains Syllabus: UPSC CSE Syllabus for Mains assesses a candidate’s academic expertise in his specialized subject. It also tests his ability to present knowledge in a clear and coherent manner and his overall intellectual traits and understanding of concepts.
- Note: If the UPSC is for Engineering, Medical Science, and law, the level corresponds to the Bachelors’ Degree.
- Get more information about the syllabus in the UPSC CSE 2020 Syllabus section.
UPSC CSE 2020 Exam Pattern
- Mode: UPSC CSE will be conducted through Offline i.e. Paper and Pen-based Test (PBT)
- No. of Papers: The UPSC CSE will consist of Preliminary - 2 Papers and Mains - 7 Papers
- Total Marks: The Preliminary paper consists of 200 marks each total of 400 marks and Mains total of 1750 marks
- Type of Questions: The preliminary exam consists of Objective questions and for the Mains exam there will be both Objective and subjective
- Duration: The time given to complete the Preliminary exam will be 2 hours and Mains exam will be 3 hours
- Get more information about exam pattern in UPSC CSE 2020 Exam Pattern section.
UPSC CSE 2020 Application Form
- Registration Date: Application Form will be available on the official website i.e. www.upsc.gov.in from February 12, 2020 and the last date to submit the UPSC CSE 2020 Application Form is on March 3, 2020
- Registration Fee: General/ OBC category candidates (male) have to pay INR 100 for Preliminary Exam and INR 200 for Mains Exam and for SC/ ST/ PH/ Female candidates are exempted from Registration Fee.
- Upload of Documents: Candidates have to upload there recently taken passport size photograph and signature.
- Get more information about the application form in the UPSC CSE 2020 Application Form section.
UPSC CSE 2020 Exam Centres
- Exam Centres: There will be 2 different Exam Centre one is to conduct the UPSC CSE 2020 Preliminary Exam and the other is to conduct the UPSC CSE 2020 Mains Exam.
- No. of Centres: The Preliminary Exam consists of 72 centers across India and the Mains Exam consists of 24 centers across India.
- Choice of Centre: The allotment of exam city would be as per the order of preference clicked by the applicant during online registration on a first cum first-served basis.
- Get more information about test centers in the UPSC CSE 2020 Exam Centre section.
UPSC CSE 2020 Admit Card
- Admit Card: The mains admit card has been released by the conducting authority which is available online for candidates on December 17, 2020.
- Document for Proof: Candidates will not be allowed to appear for the UPSC CSE 2020 exam unless he/ she produces the hall ticket from the UPSC website at the exam centres along with ID proof in original & a photocopy of the same.
- Note: The Admit Card will not be sent through the post for any of the candidates by the authority, the should download by themselves from the official website.
- Get more information about the hall ticket in the UPSC CSE 2020 Admit Card section.
UPSC CSE 2020 Results
- Result Date: Result will be declared on the official website for all the candidates on February 5, 2021
- Answer Key: Union Public Service Commission releases the Civil Service Exam Answer Key within the time period of one month after the completion of the exam.
- Mark Sheet: UPSC releases the Mark sheet of Exam for both the UPSC CSE 2020 Preliminary and Mains exam. Mark sheets are released after the declaration of UPSC CSE Results for all the candidates who appeared. Candidates willing to check their mark sheet can log-in using their roll number and date of birth.
- Cut-off: IAS Cut off is the minimum marks that a candidate must score in order to seek recruitment. The cut off varies for all different categories. It will be decided by UPSC.
- Get more information about the results in UPSC CSE 2020 Results section.
UPSC CSE 2020 Answer key
The Answer key will be released on the official website a few weeks after the successful conduction of the examination. Candidates can refer to the answer key and cross-check it with their answers in order to get a brief idea about the possible score. The UPSC CSE 2020 answer key will be in a pdf format. View UPSC CSE Answer keys
UPSC CSE 2020 Vacancy
- UPSC has released a total of 796 vacancies for different posts this year.
- This year the number of vacancies released (796) is 100 less compared to UPSC CSE 2019 Vacancies (896).
- There are a total of 24 vacancies for the Persons with Benchmark Disability which includes:
- There are 3 vacancies for candidates of blindness or low vision.
- A total of 9 vacancies are there for deaf and hard of hearing.
- There are 8 vacancies for a locomotor disability which includes dwarfism, leprosy cured, acid attack victims, and muscular dystrophy.
- For multiple disabilities from amongst persons under clauses (a) to (c) including deaf-blindness has 4 vacancies.
UPSC CSE Important Instructions
- CANDIDATES TO ENSURE THEIR ELIGIBILITY FOR THE EXAMINATION: The Candidates applying for the UPSC CSE 2020 examination should ensure that they fulfill all eligibility conditions for admission to the examination. Their admission to all the stages of the examination will be purely provisional subject to satisfying the prescribed eligibility conditions. Mere issue of admission certificate to the candidate will not imply that his/ her candidature has been finally cleared by the Commission. The Commission takes up verification of eligibility conditions with reference to original documents only after the candidate has qualified for Interview/ Personality Test.
- HOW TO APPLY: Candidates are required to apply Online by using the website http://www.upsconline.nic.in Detailed instructions for filling up online applications are available on the above-mentioned website.
- LAST DATE FOR RECEIPT OF APPLICATIONS: The last date to fill the online Applications of UPSC CSE 2020 was March 3, 2020, till 6:00 PM. The eligible candidates shall be issued an e-Admission Certificate three weeks before the commencement of the examination. The e-Admission Certificate will be made available in the UPSC website [www.upsc.gov.in] for downloading by candidates. No Admission Certificate will be sent by post.
- PENALTY FOR WRONG ANSWERS: Candidates should note that there will be penalty (negative marking) for wrong answers marked by a candidate in the Objective Type Question Papers.
- FACILITATION COUNTER FOR GUIDANCE OF CANDIDATES: In case of any guidance/information/clarification regarding the UPSC CSE 2020 applications, candidature etc. candidates can contact UPSC’s Facilitation Counter near Gate ‘C’ of its campus in person or over Telephone No. 011-23385271/011-23381125/011-23098543 on working days between 10.00 hrs and 17.00 hrs.
- MOBILE PHONES BANNED:
- The use of any mobile phone (even in switched off mode), pager or any electronic equipment or programmable device or storage media like pen drive, smartwatches etc. or camera or blue tooth devices or any other equipment or related accessories either in working or switched off mode capable of being used as a communication device during the examination is strictly prohibited. Any infringement of these instructions shall entail disciplinary action including ban from future examinations.
- Candidates are advised in their own interest not to bring any of the banned items including mobile phones/pagers to the venue of the examination, as an arrangement for safe-keeping cannot be assured.
- Candidates are advised not to bring any valuable/ costly items to the Examination Halls, as safe-keeping of the same cannot be assured. The commission will not be responsible for any loss in this regard.
Posts Offered through UPSC CSE
Preliminary Examination of the Civil Services Examination for recruitment to the Services and Posts mentioned below will be held by the Union Public Service Commission on October 4, 2020, in accordance with the Rules published by the Department of Personnel & Training in the Gazette of India Extraordinary dated 7th February 2018.
- Indian Administrative Service.
- Indian Foreign Service.
- Indian Police Service.
- Indian P & T Accounts & Finance Service, Group ‘A’.
- Indian Audit and Accounts Service, Group ‘A’.
- Indian Revenue Service (Customs and Central Excise), Group ‘A’.
- Indian Defence Accounts Service, Group ‘A’.
- Indian Revenue Service (I.T.), Group ‘A’.
- Indian Ordnance Factories Service, Group ‘A’ (Assistant Works Manager, Administration).
- Indian Postal Service, Group ‘A’.
- Indian Civil Accounts Service, Group ‘A’.
- Indian Railway Traffic Service, Group ‘A’.
- Indian Railway Accounts Service, Group 'A'.
- Indian Railway Personnel Service, Group ‘A’.
- Post of Assistant Security Commissioner in Railway Protection Force, Group ‘A’.
- Indian Defence Estates Service, Group ‘A’.
- Indian Information Service (Junior Grade), Group ‘A’.
- Indian Trade Service, Group 'A'.
- Indian Corporate Law Service, Group "A".
- Armed Forces Headquarters Civil Service, Group ‘B’ (Section Officer’s Grade).
- Delhi, Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Lakshadweep, Daman & Diu and Dadra & Nagar Haveli Civil Service, Group 'B'.
- Delhi, Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Lakshadweep, Daman & Diu and Dadra & Nagar Haveli Police Service, Group 'B'.
- Pondicherry Civil Service, Group 'B'.
- Pondicherry Police Service, Group ‘B’.