Government Arts and Science College (GASCK), Karwar was established in 1961, as Keshava Gajanana Sabnis college under private management. It was later taken over by the department of collegiate education of Government of Karnataka in 1977. The college is affiliated to Karnataka University, Dharwad. The Institution is accredited at B grade by NAAC. The college also hosts a study centre of Karnataka state Open University, Mysore which caters to the higher educational needs of those who cannot obtain conventional education.
The objective of the institution is to be advanced eminent educational institution for training the young minds with quality education and fostering global competencies to transform them into resourceful, responsible and enlightened citizens of the nation. The aim of the institute is to provide access to excellent modern education for all aspiring youth with latest skills and competencies and to promote the academic environment ensuring quality teaching-learning and research studies with training programs.
- EXCELLENCE AND SERVICE.
- Pursuit of excellence in the field of education and to develop a spirit of service to self and society and to work towards National integration.
- To create an ideal academic environment for learning and earning scholarship, professionalism that fosters excellence to achieve student learning and professional growth.
- To offer unique graduate, Post graduate and research programs in Arts, Commerce and Management and to enable the students to enrich their knowledge, skill and positive attitudes in the chosen field for their individual development and for the development of Nation's human resources.
- To enable the students to cultivate human values and develop a people friendly attitude in life.
- To enable the students to cope with the changes of life through correct understanding and adaptability.
- To create an awareness of the Socio-economic needs of the country and to inculcate the desire and the will to reach the goal for better life.
- To sensitize the students to issues related to communalism, communal harmony, secularism, gender-bias and gender discrimination, religious tolerance and National integration.
- To enable the students to face the challenges of life in 21st century and empower them in future life.
- To infuse self esteem and life skills in all the learners.
- To impart broad-based knowledge to face the competitive world.
- To build a foundation for lifelong learning.
- To enhance critical and analytical abilities.
- To develop technical competence for enhancing employability.
- To organize extension activities for community development focusing on civic responsibilities and social awareness.
- To undertake research in thrust areas for the nation's development.