Find out more information on the top universities for masters in Canada such as the admission requirements, acceptance rate & fees for international students.
Some of the top MS universities in Canada offer a 1-2 year masters program for international students. An MS degree can be obtained as a professional or academic degree in Canada. There are two types of MS programs in Canada, course-based programs and thesis-based programs. However, some Canadian universities offer a combination of the two.
Tuition fees for graduate studies range from 20,000 CAD to 30,000 CAD annually in Canada. Students from India can expect to pay between INR 11.11 lakhs to INR 16.6 lakhs for MS at Canadian universities. The details about pursuing masters programs at top universities for masters in Canada, such as admission requirements, cost, tuition and other fees, etc., are discussed in this article.
Table of Contents
- Top MS Universities in Canada for International Students
- Why Study at Top Universities for Masters in Canada?
- Admission Requirements for Best Universities in Canada for MS
- Cost of Attendance at Top Canadian Universities for MS
Top MS Universities in Canada for International Students
Canada is renowned for its STEM courses and programs in engineering fields such as mechanical, computer science, etc., as well as other areas of study such as public health, human resources, management studies, etc. Given below are the top 10 universities in Canada for MS, along with other necessary details:
|University Name||Popular Course||Annual Tuition Fee (in CAD)||Scores Requirements||THE Rankings 2022|
|University of Toronto||Masters in Computer Science||37,897||IELTS:7, TOEFL:93||34|
|University of British Columbia||Master of Science in Computer Science||8,592||IELTS:7||37|
|McGill University||Master of Science in Physiology||18,110||IELTS:6.5||44|
|McMaster University||MSc in Computer Science||17,093||IELTS:7||100|
|University of Montreal||Masters in Computer Science||24,558||GRE:308, TOEFL:85||88|
|University of Waterloo||Master of Mathematics-Computer Science||14,084||IELTS:7, GRE:Accepted||201-250|
|University of Calgary||MSc in Electrical and Computer Engineering||14,538||IELTS:6.5||201-250|
|University of Alberta||MSc in Pharmacology||25,800||IELTS:7||125|
University of Toronto
University of Toronto (U of T) is one of the most renowned public universities in Toronto, Canada. It has three campuses and more than 93,000 students, including 23,000 international students. More than 200 master’s courses are available at U of T in a wide variety of fields, including education, medicine, humanities, business, and engineering, among others.
US News & World Report ranked the university 16th in the 2022 edition of the best global university ranking. The University of Toronto has moved up four places from the 34th rank in 2015 to the 26th rank in 2022 in the QS World University Rankings.
Read More: University of Toronto
University of British Columbia
University of British Columbia (UBC) is one of the leading public universities for masters in Canada. It has more than 68,000 students from Canada and 140+ other countries. In order to be considered for admission to UBC, international applicants must score highly on tests like the GRE, GMAT, and IELTS.
Applications for international students to the institution are accepted in September for the Summer, Winter, and Fall intakes. There are 85 master's programs at UBC, offering 330 specializations to its students. Among the institute's outstanding programs are those in engineering, geography, forestry, management, medicine, etc.
Read More: University of British Columbia
McGill University is one of the reputed universities in Canada for pursuing PG programs. International students can choose from 93 graduate and doctoral programs offered by the university. According to QS World University Rankings, it ranked 27th in 2022. International students currently make up 24% of the total student population.
Candidates applying for graduate programs must submit a nonrefundable fee of 120.99 CAD. McGill also offers a wide range of unique master's degrees online. These courses have a flexible curriculum and are designed based on market demands and learning objectives.
Read More: McGill University
McMaster University is home to nearly 4500 international students from 139 countries. A total of 27 percent of McMaster University's international students are enrolled in graduate programs. There are about 100+ graduate programs available at the university in multiple disciplines, including humanities, social sciences, business, health sciences, engineering, etc.
International students need to demonstrate their proficiency in the English language by providing IELTS/TOEFL/PTE scores. The required minimum score for TOEFL is 100, and the minimum score for IELTS is 7. GRE/GMAT scores are required for admission to the MBA program at McMaster University.
Read More: McMaster University
University of Montreal
The University of Montreal welcomes international students from all over the world to pursue masters in Canada. The university ranked #111 in QS World University Rankings 2022. Students can choose from a diverse range of courses offered by the University of Montreal.
International students can apply to PG programs by paying an application fee of 102.50 CAD. Some of the entry requirements for graduate programs include official transcripts, GPA of 3.0 on a 4.3 scale, English and French language proficiency scores, letters of recommendation, copy of the birth certificate, statement of purpose, etc.
Read More: University of Montreal
University of Waterloo
The University of Waterloo is one of the popular universities in Canada, offering more than 200 graduate programs. It has an acceptance rate of 53%, so securing admission at this university is not very difficult, provided you meet the minimum eligibility requirements. Foreign students are also offered scholarships and bursaries on the basis of merit.
Applications to the University of Waterloo must be submitted by February 1, 2022. Some programs have course-specific deadlines for conditional admission, however. The overall score requirement for graduate programs is 75%. Additionally, students need to provide proof of English proficiency by IELTS, TOEFL, or equivalent tests.
Read More: University of Waterloo
University of Calgary
Ranked #235 by QS world university rankings 2022, the University of Calgary (UCalgary) is one of the popular higher education institutions in Canada. UCalgary offers more than 250 programs, including 70 graduate and certification courses.
International students need to pay an application fee of 145 CAD to apply for graduate courses at UCalgary. The university has an acceptance rate of 10-20%, which clearly indicates that it is a competitive university and students must demonstrate excellent academic records to secure a seat at this renowned university.
Read More: University of Calgary
University of Alberta
The University of Alberta is home to 40,000+ students from over 150 countries across the globe. The university has students from 156 countries worldwide contributing to its cultural diversity. It ranks #126 in QS Global World Rankings 2022. The university offers over 500 graduate programs across its three colleges. It is popular for its programs in engineering, education, and business.
International students need to meet some basic requirements and submit essential documents for admission to the University of Alberta. Some of these requirements are English proficiency scores, GRE/GMAT scores, letters of recommendation, statement of intent, updated CV, transcripts and degree certificates, etc.
Read More: University of Alberta
Why Study at Top Universities for Masters in Canada?
The master's degree curriculum in Canada is focused on research. The best universities in Canada for MS, such as the University of Toronto, McGill University, University of Montreal, etc., are known for high-quality education and academic excellence. The staff and faculty at the top colleges in Canada for MS are focused on delivering high-quality teaching to students from all over the world. Listed below are some of the other reasons for international students to enrol in masters degree programs at the best colleges in Canada for MS:
- Some of the best universities in Canada for MS offer a wide range of masters degree programs in different fields of study such as business, data science, computer science, engineering, etc.
- Masters degree programs offered at the top universities in Canada for MS in computer science, medicine, neuroscience, etc., are research-based or thesis-based. International students can gain practical experience in their respective fields through co-op placements and internships.
- Canada is known to offer the most affordable master's degree programs to international students as compared to other countries such as the UK and the US. The tuition fees at some of the best universities for masters in Canada is the lowest in comparison to the tuition fees in other English speaking countries.
- International students enrolled in the top colleges in Canada for MS in need of financial assistance can avail of various scholarship options for masters in Canada.
- Canada is ranked as one of the best places to study for international students and is also one of the safest countries in the world. Canada is home to students from over 200 countries around the world, leading to a diverse and multicultural student community.
- International students enrolled in the top MS universities in Canada have an option of part-time employment for the duration of their course. Students can work for up to 20 hours per week on campus or outside to be able to financially support themselves and also gain the required work experience.
Admission Requirements for Best Universities in Canada for MS
International students have different admission requirements for various top universities for masters in Canada. The general admission criteria for international students seeking admission to the best universities for masters in Canada is to have a total of 16 years of education, including a 4-year bachelor’s degree in any relevant field of study. Some of the best colleges in Canada for MS may also require the international students to have valid work experience of at least two years. Given below are some of the other admission requirements for international students to pursue masters at some of the top colleges in Canada for MS:
- International students are required to have a minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.0 on a scale of 4.0. Some of the top MS universities in Canada may require a higher GPA than 3.0 from international students for admission.
- International students should also submit their GMAT/ GRE scores along with the academic transcripts and other supporting documents for admission to top universities for masters in Canada.
- International students willing to study masters in business at the best universities in Canada for MS in business management, finance, business analytics, etc., should have a work experience of 1-3 years.
- Students should be able to prove English language proficiency through test scores such as TOEFL, IELTS, PTE, etc. The minimum IELTS score should be 6.5 or 7.0, and the minimum TOEFL score should be 90 or above.
- International students planning to enroll in a masters program that is taught in French need to clear the Test d’évaluation de français (TEF) or Diplôme d’études en langue française (DELF) for admission.
Cost of Attendance at Top Canadian Universities for MS
International students are required to bear the living expenses in addition to the tuition fees of top Canadian universities for MS. The estimated cost of attendance for various masters degree programs ranges between $16,250- $28,650 per year. A masters course in Canada takes up to 12-24 months for completion, depending on the course pursued. The average tuition fees for international students at different Canadian universities for masters ranges between $8,777 to $61,190. Given below is the detailed cost of attendance for international students in Canada that includes the cost of accommodation, dining, books, tuition, and other expenses.
|Particulars||Cost per annum|
|Tuition Fees||$13,000 - $25,000|
|Health Insurance||$600 - $1000|
|Living Expenses||$20,000 - $30,000|
|Other Expenses||$100 - $500|