1 year masters programs in Canada are offered in accounting, business administration, management, and more. Read on for top courses & eligibility details.
Canada has emerged as one of the most popular Study Abroad destinations for students from all over the world. Currently, Canada has over 6 lakh international students from more than 200 countries around the world pursuing undergraduate and graduate courses under various disciplines. Canada is preferred mostly for its affordability and quality of education. The degree programs offered in Canada are globally recognized for their excellence. International students are also attracted to the ethnically diverse and multicultural student community and living standards in Canada.
International students pursue master’s courses in Canada to get better job prospects and live in Canada after the completion of their graduate studies. However, due to time and financial constraints, international students prefer to pursue 1 year master courses in Canada in different fields of study such as business, marketing, architecture, engineering, dentistry, medicine, law, etc. Canada is ranked 3rd in the world for offering the best masters degree programs to international students. The tuition fees charged in Canada are the lowest as compared to other English speaking countries such as the UK and the USA.
Why Study 1 year Masters Programs in Canada?
Canada has over 6 lakh international students belonging to 200+ countries around the world. International students prefer Canada mainly due to the quality of education and affordability. Canada is home to several top-ranking universities in the world offering degree programs at both undergraduate and graduate levels. A one year masters program in Canada is a popular option among international students. Listed below are some of the reasons why international students pursue 1 year masters in Canada:
- A 1 year masters in Canada is much more affordable than a regular master’s degree program in Canada.
- International students get a quality education at affordable prices. Canada offers excellent working conditions and a learning atmosphere for international students.
- Canada is home to some of the best universities in the world offering degree programs in the field of journalism, politics, medicine, and technology.
- The Canadian immigration and visa process for international students is simple and straightforward and Canadian people are friendly and welcoming to students of different nationalities.
- A one year masters program in Canada is a pocket-friendly study option for international students. Students can save up on the tuition fees as well as living costs in Canada.
- The one year masters in Canada course curriculum is research-based leading to practical experience through industry placements, internships, and co-op placements.
- The Canada student visa allows international students to work part-time during the course of their study. Students are allowed to work on-campus or outside for up to 20 hours per week.
- Students who have completed their 1 year masters in Canada are eligible to apply for a post-graduation work permit. This allows them to work in Canada for the same duration as that of their program.
Admission Requirements for 1 year masters programs in Canada
International students seeking admission to 1 year post graduate courses in Canada are required to fulfill additional admission requirements. Students with a good academic record having a bachelor’s degree in the respective field are eligible for admission to most of the 1 year master degree in Canada. Listed below are some other admission requirements for international students to pursue 1 year post graduate courses in Canada:
- International students are required to have a minimum GPA of 3.0/ 4.0 or equivalent at the bachelor’s level of education.
- Students may have to appear for a Postgraduate Entrance Test depending on the field of study. The scores of some of the tests such as the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) or a Graduate Registration Review (GRE) are required for admission.
- International students should also submit their English language proficiency test scores such as TOEFL, IELTS, PTE, etc.
- Students are required to submit the Statement of Purpose (SOP) and Letters of Recommendation (LOR) for admission to 1 year master courses in Canada.
- Students pursuing bilingual courses are required to prove French proficiency through similar tests.
Best 1 Year Masters Programs in Canada for International Students
One year master's program in Canada is offered in various fields of study such as finance, computer science, marketing, law, etc. One year masters in Canada can be pursued in the form of degrees like Master of Arts, Master of Science, Master of Fine Arts, Master of Engineering, Master of Business Administration, etc. 1-year masters programs in Canada for international students are offered with equal emphasis to traditional learning and hands-on experience for the students to master the required skills in a short period. There are several co-op education courses available for international students in Canada to the general one-year master program in Canada. Students enrolled in these 1-year masters in Canada are made a part of exclusive and specialized projects to gain the necessary skills to be successful in the corporate world. Some of the popular 1-year masters programs in Canada for international students are listed below:
- Master of Management in Finance (MMF)
- MSc in Financial Analytics
- Master of Global Management
- MBA in Global Banking and Finance
- Master of International Business
- Master of Engineering in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering
- Master of Science in Hospitality Management
- MA in Sociology
- Master in Administracion de Justicia
- Master of Digital Media
Top Universities Offering 1 year Masters Programs in Canada
Canada is home to some of the top-ranked universities in the world offering 1-year post-graduate courses in Canada to international students from all over the world. The degree courses offered in these Canadian universities are globally recognized and provide job opportunities to students anywhere in the world. Listed below are some of the best universities offering one year masters in Canada for international students along with their world rankings:
|College/ University||QS Rankings|
|University of Toronto||25|
|University of British Columbia||45|
|University of Montreal||118|
|University of Alberta||119|
|University of Waterloo||166|
|Trinity Western University||203|
|University of Calgary||246|
|University of Ottawa||279|