Attempt IELTS practice tests online with scores for free from IDP, British Council and Cambridge. Test your progress with the help of these section wise practice tests for Listening, Speaking, Writing and Reading
IELTS is a mandatory test that is required to be eligible to get admissions for higher studies at universities across the world. However, the usual coaching cost and the cost of practice papers are high and not affordable by the Indian middle-class individual.
There are a lot of online portals that provide free access to study material, online practice tests, ebooks, etc. for IELTS. A lot of students claim that multiple practice tests online have helped them get the band score that they wanted. Continue reading to find complete details about IELTS free practice tests online!
Take IELTS practice tests online for free
IELTS Practice Test Online - Guidelines
IELTS Practice Test Online is available in two formats- Academic & General. The listening and speaking test is the same for all the test-takers, but the reading and writing test is separate. Candidates must make sure they are preparing for the correct version of the test. The conducting authority will hold the Listening, Reading, and Writing tests on the same day with no breaks in between, so it is important to practice under similar circumstances. Candidates must remember that we offer each exam over several web pages. They must make sure they solve all the questions. Several practice materials will help the applicants in such a way that:
- It will familiarise the candidates with the test format.
- Candidates can undertake and prepare themselves under timed conditions.
- Aspirants can examine their answers and analyze them with the model answers.
IELTS Speaking Practice Test Online
The span of the speaking test is 11 to 14 minutes. In this examination, the candidate will hold a conversation with a certified examiner. It is an interactive test and is close to a real-life scenario. This test includes three parts-
- Part I - Candidates have to answer about themselves and their families.
- Part II - The examiner will provide a topic, and the candidate has to speak about that subject. They will give a minute to prepare for the discussion. And the candidates have to speak for 1 to 2 minutes about the problem.
- Part III - There will be a discussion between the test-taker and the examiner about the topic.
The process of speaking is common for both the IELTS practice tests online (Academic and General Training tests). Through this test, they will check the test-takers communication skills.
IELTS Listening Practice Test Online
The time duration of the listening test is 30 minutes. Candidates will get an additional time of 10 minutes to transfer the answers to the answer sheet. This test is common for both the IELTS practice tests online (Academic and General Training tests). This test comprises four parts:
- There is a panel in which they will hold the conversation between two people in an everyday context (for example- a discussion in an accommodation agency).
- It will include a monologue set in day-to-day social connection (for example- a speech about local families).
- There is a panel in which they will hold a conversation between four people on subjects such as educational or training context (for example- a university, a person who is discussing an assignment).
- It will include the monologue on an academic subject (for example- a university lecture).
The candidate can use the MP3 audio files/transcripts and answer sheet for listening.
IELTS Reading Practice Test Online
The reading examination for both the IELTS practice tests online (Academic and General Training tests) is separate.
IELTS Academic Reading Practice Test
The test duration of the academic reading test is 60 minutes. It includes three sections.
- Each section comprises one long text.
- The word limit of the text will be 2,150-2,750 words.
- The texts are taken from various authentic sources like books, magazines, journals, and newspapers.
- Texts include topics like non-verbal materials such as graphs, diagrams, or illustrations.
- They will provide a simple glossary in case there are any technical terms.
IELTS academic reading practices test pdf will be provided in the link mentioned below.
IELTS General Reading Practice Test
The test duration of the general reading test is 60 minutes. It includes three sections.
- Section I - It comprises two or three short descriptive passages, in which one of them may be composite (comprising 6-8 quick lines related by topic, for example- hotel advertisements). The contents given apply to everyday life in an English-speaking country.
- Section II - It holds two short descriptive texts which concentrate on work-related issues (for example- appealing for jobs, company policies, pay, and conditions).
- Section III - It includes one longer, more complicated text on a topic of general interest. They take actual subjects from notices, commercials, company manuals, books, journals, and newspapers.
Note: For both the General & Academic Reading versions of the IELTS practice tests online, one mark will be awarded for each correct answer. The pattern of questions is common for both the IELTS practice tests online (Academic and General Training tests).
IELTS Writing Practice Test Online - Guidelines
The writing test is unique for both the Academic and General Training Versions of the IELTS online practice tests.
Writing Test - Academic
The test duration of the academic writing test is 60 minutes. There are two tasks. They will ask the candidate to write at least 150 words for Task I and at least 250 words for Task II. The candidates must write both tasks in a formal pattern.
- IELTS Academic Task I
Candidates will have to present some knowledge in their words about visual information such as graph/table/chart/diagram. Aspirants must describe and explain data and must represent the stages of a process. Candidates need to write 150 words in about 20 minutes.
- IELTS Academic Task II
Candidates will have to present their point of view, the argument about a particular topic in 250 words in about 40 minutes.
Writing Test - General
The test duration of the general writing test is 60 minutes which comprises writing two tasks in about 150-250 words.
- In Task 1, the candidates have to respond according to a situation. They can write a letter, for example, they can request information and can explain the situation.
- In Task 2, the candidates have to compile an essay regarding an argument or problem.
Question Types in the IELTS Exam
The questions will be of the following types:
- Sentence completion
- Diagram label completion
- Short-answer questions
- Identifying the writer’s views/claims
- Information matching, Headings matching, and Features matching
- Table completion
- Flow-chart completion
- Summary completion
- Note completion
- Multiple choice
- Identifying information
- Matching sentence endings
Ways to Prepare for the IELTS Practice Test Online
Candidates can visit the site and can practice online so that they can see their improvement and can check their ability. Candidates must remember the following points to prepare for the IELTS Test:
- Go through the test format and understand the content, the questions, and the types of problems for each section.
- Candidates must follow the set of sample question papers and can practice through them.
- Official practice materials of the IELTS are there on the official website aspirants can refer to that also.
- Candidates can check their progress by attending the online test.
- Applicants can go for the preparation course.
- Register for the examination as soon as possible.
POST YOUR COMMENT