The AFCAT interview process can be made easier with proper preparation, strategy and planning for the AFCAT interview. Researching and having a thorough knowledge of the fields they want to get into is vital.
AFCAT interview process demands proper preparation and strategy. Many aspirants dream of giving the AFCAT exam and joining the Indian Air Force, but students often find themselves in the dark regarding areas like the AFCAT interview process, AFCAT interview questions, how to prepare for AFCAT interview, etc.
Aspirants need to know every important detail about the AFCAT exam before diving into its preparations. The structure of AFCAT is slightly different from entrance exams of other disciplines, and the other aspects like eligibility, selection criteria, etc., of the AFCAT exam, is also different from CAT, JEE Mains, NEET, etc.
Table of Content
- AFCAT Interview Process
- AFCAT Exam Highlights
- AFCAT AFSB Interview Process
- Best Books for AFCAT Interview Preparations
- Important Instructions for AFCAT AFSB Interview
AFCAT Interview Process
The Indian Air Force conducts the Air Force Common Admission Test or AFCAT to select candidates for Class-I Gazetted Officers in Flying Duties and Technical and Non-Technical Ground Duties. The selection process is divided into two parts, i.e., the online examination and the Air Force Selection Board (AFSB) interview. Candidates are only permitted for the second round or the interview if they have cleared the online exam. Candidates applying for ground duties need to appear for the AFCAT and the Engineering Knowledge Test (EKT).
Although a prestigious field to have a career in, not much information regarding the processes and procedures is known to aspirants as the AFCAT exam is not as popular as other management or engineering entrance exams. Candidates often find themselves confused and in doubt regarding the whole selection and especially the interview process of AFCAT when giving the exam for the first time. The article below mentions details regarding the AFCAT exam, the AFCAT process, and many more.
AFCAT Exam Highlights
Aspirants need to know every important detail about the AFCAT exam before diving into its preparations. The structure of AFCAT is slightly different from entrance exams of other disciplines, and the other aspects like eligibility, selection criteria, etc., of the AFCAT exam, is also different from CAT, JEE Mains, NEET, etc. Candidates who are willing to give the AFCAT exam usually aspire to join the Indian Air Force for services like Short Service Commission in Flying, Permanent/Short Service Commission in Technical Ground Duties and Permanent/Short Service Commission in Non-Technical Ground Duties may refer to the information regarding AFCAT is given below.
|Administered/Conducted by||Indian Air Force|
|Examination Frequency||Conducted twice a year|
|Examination Pattern||A total of 100 objective type questions are asked students are marked out of a total of 300 marks.|
|Examination Syllabus (Broad Topics Covered)||Military Aptitude|
|General Knowledge and Awareness|
|Verbal Ability in English|
|Numerical Ability and Reasoning|
|Examination Fees||Rs. 250|
AFCAT AFSB Interview Process
The entire selection process of suitable candidates through AFCAT is elaborate and intricate as only the best are selected to join the Indian Air Force. The AFCAT interview conducted by the Air Force Selection Board is only a part of the entire selection process of AFCAT, which also includes the online test. Candidates have to appear for and qualify in the online exam for AFCAT before appearing for the AFSB interview. The cutoffs for the AFSB interview are released along with the AFCAT online exam result. Students need to secure equal to or more than the cutoff to be considered for the AFSB interview (Both in AFCAT and EKT for technical ground duty candidates). The AFSB interview process begins after shortlisted candidates are called, and the process is divided into three parts or stages.
- Stage I: Candidates have to go through various tests like the Officer Intelligence Rating Test, Picture Perception Test and discussion test. This stage lasts for one day and is conducted to screen candidates for subsequent rounds; candidates have to clear Stage I before moving on to the next round. Candidates who qualify for stage I are required to go through a document verification round.
- Stage II: This stage is more complex and lengthy than the previous one, as the Stage II round lasts for five days. Candidates have to go through a Psychological Test on the first day. After document verification is complete, Group Test and Interview is conducted over the rest of the duration of this stage.
- Flying Branch: Candidates applying for the flying branch must also go through the Computerised Pilot Selection System (CPSS).
After the entire selection process is concluded, the examination conducting authorities release the final merit list, and candidates are selected based on their overall performance.
Best Books for AFCAT Interview Preparations
Thorough preparation for the AFCAT interview is vital for securing a high score and getting selected for the Indian Air Force. Students often have doubts regarding which books they should prescribe during their preparations; following a good set of books can clear a lot of doubts and questions for a student. Below is a list of the best books for AFCAT AFSB interview preparations.
|AFCAT (Air Force Common Admission Test) Exam Guide: For Flying and Technical Branch (Popular Master Guide)||R. Gupta|
|Let's Crack AFCAT - Air Force Common Admission Test||SSB Crack|
|SSB Interview: The Complete Guide||Dr. N.K. Natarajan|
|From Plinth to Paramount||Neetu Singh (KD Publication)|
|Objective General English||Dr. RS. Aggarwal|
|Verbal Reasoning||Bhupendra Kumar Singh|
Important Instructions for AFCAT AFSB Interview
As the AFCAT interview process and selection rounds are different from standard interviews, students are bound to feel underprepared and nervous. In situations like these, a few words of advice always help in calming and preparing the mind. Here are a few important instructions to follow during the AFCAT interview.
- Follow Proper Dress Code: Presenting yourself in proper attire is a must when appearing for the AFCAT interview as students need to be in formal attire. No slippers are allowed, and students need to wear shoes for the interview.
- Be Prepared with the Topics of the Day: Since the interview process for AFCAT is a lengthy one, candidates should not overexert themselves by preparing for rounds that will not be conducted immediately. Students need to be prepared for almost every question asked and task allotted. Thus they should prioritize revision of only those relevant topics to the next interview round/day.
- Keep Calm and Don’t Panic: One of the most important assessments made during this interview is personality and demeanour. More emphasis is put on the candidate’s interpersonal skills as this is the Indian Air Force. Candidates need to be calm and composed and avoid situations where they panic or fumble.
Joining the Indian Air Force is a very big achievement for an Indian, and many young individuals dream of achieving the same. Although the entire selection process can be lengthy and tiresome, candidates should never slack on their performance and always give their best to be considered for a position in the Indian Air Force.