Indian Forest service is one of the three All India Services of the Government of India. Under the All India Service Act 1951, it was constituted in the year 1966. Everything you need to know about the IFS examination is given below:
- February 5,2021: The Admit Card for IFS Mains Examination 2020-2021 has been released today. Candidates can find the direct link to download the admit card below.
- What is IFS?
- IFS 2020-2021 Exam Date
- IFS 2020-2021 Exam Pattern
- IFS 2020-2021 Eligibility Criteria
- IFS 2020-2021 Application Form
- IFS 2020-2021 Syllabus
- IFS 2020-2021 Admit Card
- IFS 2020-2021 Exam Centre
- IFS 2020-2021 Result
- IFS 2020-2021 Reference Books
- How to prepare for IFS?
- IFS Contact Information
What is IFS?
IFS stands for India Forest Service is one of the Civil Service exams which is held by the Union Public Service Commission for the recruitment of officers at the All India Level by India’s Government for scientific management of its forests.
The candidates who want to become Indian Forest Service officers have to first appear for the examination which is conducted by UPSC. The IFS selection procedure consists of three stages preliminary, mains, and personality tests. The candidates can apply for the IFS examination through a common online application form of the Civil Services Examination. Below table gives details about the highlights of IFS
|Exam Name||IFS Exam|
|Full-Form||Indian Forest Service Exam|
|Conducting Body||Union Public Service Commission|
|Level of the Exam||National|
|Mode of the Exam||Offline|
|Number of Vacancies||90|
|Number of Attempts||6|
|Official Website of IFS||ifs.nic.in|
IFS 2020-2021 Important Dates
The IFS 2020-2021 important dates have been declared by the conducting authority. The candidates can refer to the table given below and can check the IFS 2020-2021 important dates.
|IFS 2020-2021 Application Form Start Date||Completed|
|IFS 2020-2021 Application Form Last Date||Completed|
|IFS 2020-2021 Preliminary Exam||October 4, 2020|
|IFS 2020-2021 Preliminary Result||October 23, 2020|
|IFS 2020-2021 Mains Exam Registration||Completed|
|IFS 2020-2021 Mains Examination Admit Card||February 5, 2021|
|IFS 2020-2021 Mains Examination||February 28, 2021 to March 7, 2021|
|IFS 2020-2021 Main Result||To be announced|
|IFS 2020-2021 Interview||To be announced|
|IFS 2020-2021 Final Result||To be announced|
IFS 2020-2021 Eligibility Criteria
The organising committee sets the IFS 2020-2021 eligibility criteria. It is highly recommended for the aspirants to check the eligibility criteria before beginning with the registration process. Below is the given information regarding the IFS 2020-2021 eligibility criteria.
- The candidates who are Indian citizens are eligible to apply for this exam.
- Applicants from Nepal, Bhutan are eligible to apply for the exam.
- The Tibetan refugees who have come to India before 1st January, 1962 can apply for the exam.
- Those who migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka, East African countries like Uganda, Kenya, the united republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire, Ethiopia, and Vietnam but are still an Indian origin can apply for the exam.
- A certificate of eligibility given by the Indian Government should be produced by the candidates belonging to b,c,d and e category.
The candidates applying for the exam must be 2 to 32 years to be eligible for the exam. The upper age limit relaxation varies for applicants belonging to various reserved categories which are mentioned in the below table:
|Name of the category||Upper age limit|
|Candidates from Jammu & Kashmir||5 years|
|Defense Service Personnel||5 years|
|Ex-serviceman including Commissioned officers and ECOs/SSCOs who have provided at least 5-year service||5 years|
|Blind, Deaf and Orthopedically handicapped||10 years|
- The candidates must have passed a degree with at least one subject, like, Botany, Chemistry, Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Science, Geology, Mathematics, Physics, Statistics, and Zoology or a degree in Agriculture or Forestry or Engineering from a recognized university.
- Students who are still appearing for the final graduation examination can also apply for the exam.
The candidates should be physically fit to apply for the examination.
Number of Attempts
- General Candidates: 9 attempts
- SC/ST: No restrictions
- Other Backward Classes: 9 attempts
- Physically handicapped for General and OBC: 9 attempts
IFS 2020-2021 Application Form
The application form for IFS 2020-2021 has been released. Below is the given step-by-step guide to fill the IFS 2020-2021 application form.
Steps to fill the IFS 2020-2021 Application Form
- Visit the official website of Indian Forest Service.
- Then, click on ‘What’s New’.
- After that, hit the ‘DAF–(IFS 2020-2021-21) Indian Forest Service Exam’ button.
- On the screen, the UPSC IFS 2020-2021 examination notification will be displayed
- Candidates should read the notifications carefully.
- Hit on the ‘Part -1 Registration Link’ and register on the website.
- Fill all the required details that have been asked by the website portal.
- Upload all the prescribed documents.
- Submit the IFS 2020-2021 application form and pay the application fee.
- Download the application form and fee receipt.
- Take a printout of the same.
IFS 2020-2021 Application Fee
The IFS 2020-2021 application fee is paid only via online mode. The candidates can pay the application fee for appearing in IFS 2020-2021 Exam by Credit/Debit or Net Banking. Below is the given details regarding the IFS 2020-2021 application fee.
|General and OBC||INR 100|
|SC/ST and Female||Exempted|
Note: The application fee once paid, will not be refunded.
IFS 2020-2021 Documents Required
- 12th Mark Sheet
- Degree Mark Sheet
- Scanned copy of signature and Photograph
- Caste certificate
- Net Banking information
- Valid mobile number and email
IFS 2020-2021 Admit Card
The candidates who have filled the IFS 2020-2021 application form can download the IFS 2020-2021 admit card from the official website. Candidates can go through below-mentioned steps to download their respective IFS 2020-2021 admit cards.
Steps to download the Admit Card
- Visit the UPSC website.
- Hit the ‘admit card’ tab.
- A new page will be opened.
- On the new page which is generated, click on ‘e-admit card for the various examinations of UPSC’.
- Look for the IFS (Main) examination.
- Select the ‘download’ link.
- A new tab will be generated where few instructions are generated on the screen.
- Candidates have to read the given instructions properly to avoid any misunderstandings.
- Hit the option through which e-admit cards can be downloaded.
- Enter login credentials.
- Submit the login details
- The IFS 2020-2021 admit card will be displayed on the screen.
- Candidates can download the IFS 2020-2021 admit card.
- Take a photocopy of the same for future references.
IFS 2020-2021 Exam Centre
The IFS 2020-2021 exam is held all over India. The candidates can choose the exam centres for IFS 2020-2021, as per their convenience. Below table shows a list of the IFS 2020-2021 exam centres:
Documents required at IFS 2020-2021 Exam Centre
The candidates must carry one of the id proofs along with the admit card.
- Driving Licence
- Voter id card
- PAN card
- Aadhar Card
- Admit Card
IFS 2020-2021 Exam Pattern
IFS 2020-2021 is a national level online examination. The medium of the exam paper will be in English as well as in Hindi.
The below table gives all the details regarding IFS 2020-2021 Preliminary Exam Pattern.
|Types of Questions||MCQs|
|No. of Marks||100|
To know about the IFS 2020-2021 Mains Exam Pattern, candidates can refer to the table given below.
|Types of Questions||Essay Type|
|No. of Marks||1400|
IFS 2020-2021 Result
The candidates need to check the IFS 2020-2021 result on the official website. The merit list will also be announced on the basis of the marks scored by the candidates. The step by step process to check the result is given below:
Steps to check the IFS 2020-2021 Result
- Go to the official website of UPSC.
- Click on the link asking to view the result.
- Enter the registration number and the admit card.
- The IFS 2020-2021 result will be generated on the screen.
- Download the IFS 2020-2021 result.
- Candidates can take a copy of the result.
IFS 2020-2021 Syllabus
The conducting authority designs the IFS 2020-2021 syllabus. IFS is a national-level exam; the competition is high. Before starting the preparation of the exam, it is essential to go through the syllabus; this will give a clear idea about the type of question asked. Below are the shared lists of the syllabus and topics for the IFS exam.
- Current Events
- History of India national and international
- Indian and world Geography
- Indian Politics and Governance
- Economic and Social Development
- General issues on Environmental ecology, Biodiversity and climate change
- General Science
- Interpersonal skills including communication skill
- Logical Reasoning and Analytical Ability
- Decision Making and Problem Solving
- General mental ability
- Basic Numeracy
- Data Interpretation
- General English
- General Knowledge
Paper 3,4,5 & 6
- Agriculture Engineering
- Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
IFS 2020-2021 Reference Books
As there are many books available in the market for IFS, choosing the right one will help the candidates to prepare well and rank well in the examination. Below are the given IFS reference books that the aspirants can go through for the preparation of the exam.
|Indian Forestry a Breakthrough Approach to forest service (7th Edition)||By S.Prabhu and K.Manikandan|
|UPSC IFS Main Examination Guide: A complete for Paper 1 and Paper 2||RPH Editorial Board|
|UPSC IFS Botany Main Exam Guide Botany (Paper 1 & 2)||RPH Editorial Board|
|UPSC IFS Exam Zoology Main Exam Guide (Paper 1 & 2)||RPH Editorial Board|
|UPSC IFS Agriculture Main Exam Guide (Paper 1 & 2)||RPH Editorial Board|
How to prepare for IFS?
The candidates willing to appear for the exam IFS 2020-2021 should be aware of the competition and prepare accordingly. Before starting the exam preparation, you should be aware of all the details about the exam. The candidate should have all the study materials, this will make the candidates easier to prepare for the examination. Here are some of our tips to help you prepare for the IFS 2020-2021 Exam:
- Prepare a timetable- The candidate is advised to prepare a time table and follow the time accordingly. Preparing a timetable will help the candidate with better preparation and help the topics for the exam. Eight months is considered to be ideal for the preparation of the IFS exam. With a proper strategy to prepare for the exam, the candidate can score well in the examination.
- Start with basics- The candidate should start with basics for the preparation of the exam. It is crucial to be clear on the basics, as it will easily solve the problems. Candidates should try answering the questions in minimum time.
- Practising previous year question paper- It is very important to solve the previous year question papers. Regular practice of question papers will help the candidates strengthen the knowledge, and increase the speed to solve the question papers.
- Mock Test- Candidates are advised to take up the mock test at the beginning; this will help the candidates to know their strengths and weaknesses. Candidates can start working on their weaknesses. The more mock tests you take, the more familiar you will be.
Prithvi Block, 3rd Floor, Indira Paryavaran Bhawan,
Aliganj, Jorbagh Road, New Delhi - 110003
Email Id: [email protected]
Mobile Number: 91-11 24695272