The Department of Humanities & Social Science, IIT Madras, conducts the Humanities and Social Sciences Entrance Exam (HSEE) at a national level every year. Through this exam, several aspirants secure admission to the Master’s programs offered by the institute. All the important details about HSEE 2021 can be found on this page.
- Jul 12, 2021: HSEE 2021 will be held on Aug 7, 2021, in two sessions. The admit card for the exam will be released shortly before the date of the exam.
- HSEE Highlights 2021
- HSEE Important Dates 2021
- HSEE 2021 Eligibility Criteria
- HSEE Application Form 2021
- HSEE Admit Card 2021
- HSEE Exam Centres 2021
- HSEE Exam Pattern 2021
- HSEE Syllabus 2021
- HSEE Previous Years’ Question Papers
- HSEE Result 2021
- HSEE Cut Off 2021
- HSEE Counselling & Seat Allotment 2021
- HSEE Contact Details
HSEE Highlights 2021
HSEE is conducted by the Department of Humanities and Social Science, IIT Madras, every year. Through this annually conducted entrance examination, the candidates can take admission to the integrated Master’s program in Development Studies and English Studies. Some of the important highlights of this exam are as follows:
|Full form of HSEE||Humanities and Social Sciences Entrance Exam|
|Seats offered||29 in each course|
HSEE Important Dates 2021
The application process for HSEE 2021 commenced on Feb 01, 2021, and concluded on Mar 31, 2021. The candidates could pay the application fee in two modes. The last date to pay the fee for both the modes was different. Due to the spike in the cases of COVID-19, the entrance examination which was earlier supposed to be held on Jun 13, 2021, has been postponed indefinitely. Find all the important dates related to HSEE 2021 mentioned below:
|Release of HSEE application form 2021||Feb 1, 2021|
|Last date to apply for HSEE 2021||Mar 31, 2021|
|Last date to pay the application fee offline (through Bank Challan)||Mar 16, 2021|
|Last date to pay the application fee online (through Net Banking, Credit Card, or Debit Card)||Mar 31, 2021|
|Admit card release date||To be announced|
|HSEE 2021 exam date||Aug 7, 2021|
|Release of the response sheets||To be announced|
|Result announcement||To be announced|
|Offer letter release date||To be announced|
The revised dates, once announced by IIT-Madras, will be updated in this section.
HSEE Eligibility Criteria 2021
The applicants must refer to the HSEE 2021 eligibility criteria given below, and ensure that they satisfy all the conditions, as prescribed by IIT Madras.
HSEE 2021 Eligibility Criteria: Qualifying Examination
The applicant should have appeared for either of the below-mentioned qualifying examinations either in 2020, or should be appearing in 2021.
- Class 12th examination conducted by the Central Board or a State Board, recognized by the Association of Indian Universities
- Senior Secondary School Examination conducted by the NIOS
- HSC Vocational Exam, or CBSE’s skill course for class 12
- An Intermediate or 2-year Pre-University exam from a university recognized by the Association of Indian Universities
- Candidates who have or will complete the two-year course of the Joint Service Wing, NDA in 2021 or 2022.
HSEE 2021 Eligibility Criteria: Age Specifications
The HSEE age limit varies as per the category to which the applicant belongs. The specifications are discussed below:
|Category||Date of Birth|
|General and other UR Categories||The candidate should be born on or after Oct 1, 1996|
|SC, ST, PwD/PH||The candidate should be born on or after Oct 1, 1991|
The date on which the candidate claims to be born must be the same as the date of birth mentioned on the Class 10 and/or 12 qualifying certificate or marks statement.
HSEE 2021 Eligibility Criteria for Foreign Applicants
The candidates who are not the citizens of India or fall under the PIO or OCI categories, and whose parents don’t meet the aforementioned conditions either, will be considered as Foreign Nationals.
The candidates who reside in foreign countries must satisfy either of the following qualifying examination-specific HSEE 2021 eligibility criteria:
- The applicant must have qualified the class 12 equivalent examination from an educational institute recognized by the Association of Indian Universities.
- The applicant must have qualified the General Certificate Education (GCE) examination from London, Cambridge, or Sri Lanka, at an Advanced (A) level.
- The candidate should have passed the High School Certificate Examination of the Cambridge University, or International Baccalaureate Diploma of the International Baccalaureate Office, Geneva.
- The candidates who have completed Class 12 (or equivalent) examination outside India, from a board that is not specified above, should produce a certificate issued by the Association of Indian Universities, stating that the examination they have passed is equivalent to the Indian Class XII examination.
HSEE Application Form 2021
The application process for HSEE 2021 was carried out online. The candidates will require a desktop/laptop computer and a stable internet connection to apply. The detailed process to apply for HSEE 2021 is discussed below:
HSEE 2021 Registration
The first step is to register for HSEE. The candidates can follow the below-given steps to register for the examination.
- Go to the official website created for HSEE 2021: hsee.iitm.nic.in
- Click on the ‘Apply Online’ button created.
- The candidates will now be required to enter their name, date of birth, and contact information.
- To complete the registration, candidates must check their inbox for the email received from the HSEE-IITM’s end. The email shall contain the login credentials which they will require to access their user accounts.
Filling the HSEE 2021 Application Form
Once the candidates log in, they will be able to fill the online application form for HSEE 2021. The information which the candidates will have to enter is:
- Name of the candidate, as given on the class 10 scorecard.
- Name of the candidate’s parents or guardian, as mentioned on the candidate’s class 10 scorecard.
- Residential address
- School details
- Contact details: email ID and mobile number
- Exam centre: The candidates will have to enter two exam centres in order of preference.
- Category: The candidate will have to choose one out of GE, GEN-EWS, OBC-NCL, SC, or ST.
- PwD: If the applicant is a person with 40% or more disability, or dyslexia, he or she may choose “yes” from the drop-down menu.
Note: The candidates belonging to any of the reserved or PwD categories will be required to upload documents/certificates testifying the same.
Documents required to fill the HSEE 2021 Application Form
The candidates will be required to upload scanned copies of the below-listed documents along with the HSEE application form 2021:
- A latest passport-sized photograph (coloured)
- Candidate’s signature
- Marks statement of class 10
- Marks statement of class 12
- Caste certificate (if applicable)
- PwD certificate (if applicable)
HSEE Application Form 2021 Document Specifications
Candidates must resize their documents as per the below-given specifications. The forms sent with documents which do not meet the below-mentioned specifications will get rejected.
|Images to be Uploaded||Dimensions|
Size: Between 15 and 40 kb
Dimension: 3.5 * 4.5 cm
Format: jpg/ jpeg
Size: Between 10 and 30 kb
Dimension: 3.5 * 1.5 cm
Format: jpg/ jpeg
Payment of the HSEE 2021 Application Form Fee
The application form fees can be paid via online, as well as offline modes. The last date to deposit the fee via both the modes will differ.
|General and OBC||INR 2400|
|SC, ST, PwD, and Female||INR 1200|
Modes of Payment:
- Candidates can pay the fee online, using their credit cards, debit cards, or via net banking. This can be done till the last date of application form submission.
- The candidates opting for the offline mode of payment will have to draw an Indian Bank E-Challan. The last date to pay the fee via offline mode is mentioned above.
HSEE Admit Card 2021
IITM will release the HSEE admit cards on the official website a few days before the exam is scheduled to be held. The document will bear the candidate’s personal, contact, and other exam-specific details, such as the roll no., address of the exam centre, etc. Candidates can download them by following the below-mentioned steps:
- Go to the official website of HSEE 2021.
- Find and click on the “Download HSEE 2021 Hall Ticket” link created on the homepage.
- Enter the user ID/email ID used at the time of registration, and the password.
- Proceed further by clicking on the login button.
- The admit card will now be displayed on the candidate’s screen.
- The candidates must take a printout of the HSEE Admit Card 2021.
- The candidates are also advised to download the softcopy of the document, and preserve it for future reference.
Issues while downloading HSEE 2021 Admit Card
The candidates may face certain issues at the time of downloading the HSEE 2021 hall ticket. They must not panic. The problems may be a result of the following reasons:
Server issues or slow internet
Due to several people attempting to download the hall ticket at the same time, the servers may malfunction. Even if the internet connection is not up to the mark, the candidates may face difficulty in accessing the hall tickets. In such cases, the candidates should wait for a few hours, and try to download it again later, preferably from a different server.
Several times, the candidates forget their login credentials and hence, are unable to access the HSEE hall ticket. To help candidates stuck in such situations, the conducting authorities provide the facility to reset their passwords. Candidates must click on the 'forgot password' link provided on the login page. The link to reset their password will then be sent to their respective email accounts.
Downloading the admit card on mobile or tablet
Downloading the admit card on a mobile phone or tablet is not advised. The candidates may face difficulties in doing so. The candidates need to download the admit card on a PC, using one of the recommended browsers.
The hall ticket will only be issued to those candidates who complete their registration on time and pay the due application fee. The candidates who fail to do so will not be able to download the hall ticket.
HSEE 2021 Exam Centres
HSEE 2021 will be held in 16 cities across the country. The candidates can go through the list provided below, and choose the test centre closest to them:
HSEE Exam Pattern 2021
The HSEE 2021's question paper will be divided into two parts. The first part will require the candidates to answer various multiple choice questions. Whereas, the second part will have essay-writing questions. The highlights of the HSEE 2021 exam pattern are given below:
Part 1: 2 hours 30 minutes
Part 2: 30 minutes
HSEE Syllabus 2021
The question paper will be divided into two parts. The first part will comprise English, Analytical and Quantitative Ability, and General Studies. The second part will have Essay Writing questions.
The syllabus for part 1 is as follows:
|English||Reading Comprehension, Grammar, Vocabulary|
|Analytical and Quantitative Ability||Numbers, Algebra, HCF, LCM, Calendar, Basic Statistics, Averages, Profit and Loss, Ratios and Proportion, Simple Interest, Compound Interest, Work and Time, Age, Discounts, Linear Equations, Elementary Trigonometry|
The syllabus for the second part of the question paper is as follows:
The candidate may be asked to write an essay on any of the Current Affairs, History, Geography, Politics, Sports, or any other subject.
HSEE Result 2021
The HSEE 2021 result will be uploaded on the official website in the form of a scorecard. The candidates will be able to download the same by logging in using their credentials. The steps to do so are given below:
- Go to the official website of IIT Madras’ HSEE - hsee.iitm.ac.in
- Find the tab for HSEE Result 2021, and click on it.
- The candidates will now be asked to enter their registered email ID/login ID, and password.
- Upon submitting the details, the candidates will be able to access their scorecards.
Details mentioned on the HSEE scorecard
The candidates will find the following details on their scorecards:
- Name of the candidate
- Roll number
- Scores obtained
- Rank obtained
- Qualifying status
HSEE Cut Off 2021
The category-wise qualifying marks for HSEE are given below:
|SC, ST, PwD||25% aggregate|
The top scorers of the exam will be called to participate in the counselling.
HSEE Cut Off 2020
The HSEE cut off 2020 is provided below in the table. The cut off for the current academic year will be similar to the previous years’ data. The candidates must check
|Candidate Category||Minimum Cut-Off Marks|
|Other Backward Class (OBC)||47%|
|Scheduled Caste (SC)||25%|
|Scheduled Tribe (ST)||25%|
|Person with Disability (PwD)||25%|
HSEE Reservation of Seats 2021
There are 58 seats in total. As per the Indian government’s guidelines, a certain percentage of seats shall be kept reserved for the candidates belonging to the minority communities and categories. The precise reservation of seats is tabulated below:
HSEE Contact Details
Official Webiste - hsee.iitm.ac.in