Govt. Degree College (Boys) Udhampur was set up in 1961 as a three year degree course in Science & Arts with a pre – university class attached to it. The first batch of 30 students was admitted on 27 June, 1961 and interestingly no. of girls (17) was more than no. of boys (13). The majestic campus of this decades' old college is situated in the outskirts of Udhampur town on a hillock overlooking the Devika, the sacred Ganges of Jammu region. Since its inception the college has achieved major landmarks, and is at present one of the leading institutions of higher learning in the State of Jammu and Kashmir.
At present, the College provides instruction in the disciplines of Arts, Commerce, Science (Medical and Non-medical), BCA and BBA. We also offer two PG Courses i.e. PG English & PG Hindi. A sizable section of students joining this institution comes from such families that mainly depend on agriculture and are economically as well as socially weak. The College carefully caters to the educational needs of this particular section of the society, and puts in every effort to ensure a gradual and meaningful development of the students, both in curricular and extra-curricular domains.
The College has a highly qualified and experienced staff, well-equipped laboratories, rich library, play-fields, Boys’ hostel, Multi-purpose hall and other infrastructural facilities. Besides, the lush green splendid campus of the College and equipped with all basic amenities and (with a back drop of the Gangeda Hills) provides ample reasons of attraction and a conducive environment of optimum learning to the students.
The prominent alumni are Prof.(Dr.) R.N.K Bamezai, Sh. B.S Mankotia, MLA Udhampur, Sh. Mahender K. Sharma, Judicial Officer, Sh Anoop Kumar Judicial Officer, Sh. Ravi Kesar, IFS, Sh. Varinder Slathia KAS, Sh. Rakesh Jamwal and many more.
Why to join Government Degree College for Boys, Udhampur, Jammu and Kashmir?
- Scholarships and Financial Assistance: Scholarships are provided to all deserving and meritorious students. SC/ST candidates can also avail scholarships from the college. To avail scholarships, students have to be eligible enough to satisfy certain parameters fixed by the college administration. Also, Post-metric Scholarships are recommended for the meritorious students.
- Certificate of Accreditation: National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) has accredited the college at the B level.
- Extension activities: Along with NSS and NCC the college also has a nature club. Red Ribbon Club, Heritage Cell and ‘Jigyasa’- an organ of IQAC are few more activities that are provided at the institute.
Facts & Figures :-
||University of Jammu
||One boys hostel with 90 seats
|Library (book strength)
Admission rules :-
- A student who has passed Higher Secondary Part-II Examination (12th Class) of the J&K Board of School Education or an examination recognized as its equivalent by the University of Jammu is eligible for admission to B.A/B.Sc/B.Com/BCA/BBA Part 1.
- The admission schedule is announced every year along with detailed information.
- Students seeking admission to B.A/B.Sc/B.Com Part I shall apply on a prescribed Application Form which can be obtained from the College office. They will attach one attested copy of the marks sheet of the Higher Secondary Part-II or other equivalent examination with the application. They should mention their choice of subject combinations in order of their preference as per the combinations available in the college. CHANGE OF SUBJECT/STREAM IS NOT PERMISSIBLE AFTER ADMISSION.
- On receipt of application, selection list shall be drawn on the basis of merit i.e marks obtained in class XIIth.
- Student belonging to the reserved categories as listed in SRO 294 dated 25-06-1994 shall get additional weightage of 5% marks (i.e. 30 marks out of total of 600), and these 30 marks shall be added to the total marks secured by the candidate provided he/she submits an attested copy of the valid relevant certificate issued by Competent Authority along with the application form. A merit list of the candidates selected for admission shall be displayed on the College Notice Board. The selected candidates shall then fill in and submit the proper Admission Form. The forms duly filled up and signed by the parent/guardian in presence of Admission Committee shall be submitted to the College office on or before the last date. The applicants who do not submit the admission form with all the requisite certificates attached there with, or do not deposit the fee within time limit prescribed shall be dropped from the merit list and the next meritorious applicant shall be considered for admission. Subject to the availability of seats, a second or third merit list may be displayed.
- Admission to the PG courses in English and Hindi is done by University of Jammu, University entrance test (JUET) followed by counseling.
- A student, whose result is declared late by the J&K Board, may be admitted as per the Admission Rules of the University of Jammu, subject to the availability of seats.A student who is admitted in the College and completes the minimum required attendance but either fails or does not appear in the ensuing University examination, will not be considered for admission in the same class again.
- A science student falling short of attendance will be given casual admission to attend practicals to earn eligibility in case there is a vacancy in the concerned dept. He/she shall have to deposit Rs.1000/2000 depending upon the number of practicals he/she attends.
- A student with a break in academic career will not be considered for admission in the college. However, the Principal may condone one year break in case of a student where he feels convinced about the reason leading to the break in studies. This, too, is subject to the availability of seats.
- A student after having been admitted, if remains continuously absent for 14 days, shall be struck off the college rolls and shall not be re-admitted to the same class during the same year. The year so wasted shall be counted as one gap year and shall be dealt with under appropriate clauses if he/she presents himself/herself for re-admission.
- No applicant for B.A./B.Sc/B.Com Part-1 cannot take up Mathematics as a subject unless he/she has qualified the Higher Secondary Part-II or equivalent examination with Mathematics as one of the subjects. The students applying for English Literature as subject shall have at least 50% marks in General English.
- Admission to a particular stream shall be made purely on merit basis as per availability of seats.
- Students with re-appear in one or more subjects in the qualifying examination will not be admitted in UG-Part I.
- The college of its own will not admit any student of BP-II/P-III who has passed BP-I from any recognized University other than Jammu University. Such inter- university migration cases will be admitted only on the production of NOC/ equivalent certificate issued by the University of Jammu.
For more details about admission please contact :-
Phone No. & Fax: 01992 - 270239,
E - mail: email@example.com