The Akkineni Nageswara Rao college is the result of the munificence and zeal for higher education of the people of Gudivada taluk and of the neighbouring taluks in Krishna district, Andhra Pradesh, situated in a rich agricultural area midway between Vijayawada and Machilipatnam, well connected by road, rail and canal with the leading towns and villages in the district. Gudivada has always been a center of great cultural and political activity and its citizens have played a prominent part in the life of the nation generally and in particular of Andhra Pradesh.
In the education sphere too, need for a seat of higher learning was felt, and to meet this need a strong committee of local leaders was formed early in 1950, and an appeal for funds was made in the name.Akkineni Nageswara Rao College was established in 1960 by organizing committee sought and obtained permission from Andhra University and the college was formally inaugurated under the name "The Gudivada College" by prof. V.S.Krishna, the then vice-chancellor of Andhra University. The college committee established a sister institution called A.N.R. College of Education for conducting the B.Ed. course in 1999. The NAAC peer team visited the college in 2006 and accredited B++ grade.
The college has started the Diploma course of PGDMISCA in 2000 and M.Sc. in Information Systems course in the year 2001. In continuation, the college has started traditional courses like master’s degree in Chemistry, Physics & Botany and Microbiology in 2005.