All new students are made aware of the university's origins (as the patriotic and anti-imperial National Council of Education, Bengal, in the early 20th century), its heritage, mission and vision. They are briefed about facilities available for them (e.g. library and medical facilities, counselling services, special services for differently-abled students); the university's zero-tolerance policy with regard to ragging and sexual harassment, among others. All students are expected to abide by the values that Jadavpur University stands for, including devotion to the truth, the practice of virtue, selflessness and duty to others, and to take these as the guiding principles of their lives.
Students are encouraged to take an active part in curriculum development, not only through their formal feedback on teachers, course content and infrastructural facilities, but also through debate and discussion at the department-specific student-teacher committees; student representatives at various statutory bodies are provided a platform to make the student community's views known and to contribute to planning for the future.
Student Enrolment and Profile
Process of Admission
- Admission to undergraduate programmes in the FET is through the West Bengal Joint Entrance Examination, conducted by an independent body, followed by counselling.
- For admission to the undergraduate programmes in the Faculty of Arts, a combination of merit (i.e. results at the +2 level) and entrance test is used. Departments have autonomy to decide upon admission criteria.
- In the Faculty of Science, admission at the undergraduate level is based on merit.
- In the FET, GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering) results and scholarships become important for admission; in addition, students sponsored by industry as well as self-sponsored students are admitted. For GATE applicants, their GATE score is given a 70% weightage, while for the others their BE or BTech scores receive 50% weightage; the balance percentage is determined through tests, with 10% weightage being given to experience in industry for students sponsored by industry.
- In the Faculty of Science, admission to postgraduate programmes is on the basis of merit (BSc results) with entrance test, conducted by individual departments.
- In the Faculty of Arts, the BA (Honours) results and admission tests conducted by individual departments determine admission.