How to Become a Nurse?
We live in a world which has become advanced in terms of Medical Sciences. To cope up with the pressure of increasing health problems, a lot of medical facilities and staff are required. The doctors have a distinct place in the Medical sector, but the contribution of a nurse cannot be overlooked. Today, analyzing the increasing workload in the field of Medical Sciences, we can certainly say that the nurses share the responsibility of the well-being of the patient equally as good as the doctors do.
The job of a nurse is not an easy one. After a patient has been operated or treated by the doctor, the recovery stage of the patient has to be taken care of by the nurse. A good nurse is always on its toes to help the patients recover from trauma. A nurse has to take care of the vital signs, food, medicine, comfort and has to act as an interface between the doctor and the patient. The work domain of a nurse is not just limited to hospitals. The services of the nurses are required in prisons, homes, assisted living facilities, nursing homes, rural areas and more.
The various courses, eligibility, and other details are listed in the table of contents given below
- Nursing courses in India
- Role of a Nurse
- Eligibility for Nursing
- Nursing Career
- Nursing Colleges in India
- Salary of a nurse in India
Nursing Courses in India
There are plenty of courses to become a Nurse in India. To become a nurse, there are two different ways to go. If an aspirant who has no experience at all wants to enter this field, then he can be a Registered Nurse (RN). But, if an existing RN wants to upgrade his/ her qualification, then he/ she can become a Registered Nurse Practitioner. The courses offered are run under the approval of the Indian Nursing Council (INC). There are a variety of courses to pursue in this sector. The courses are:
- Diploma in Nursing
- B.Sc Nursing
- General Nursing and Midwifery (GNM)
- Post Basic B.Sc in Nursing
- M.sc Nursing
- Auxiliary Nurse and Midwife and Health Worker (MHW)
Diploma in Nursing
This is a basic Nursing course that trains the aspirant to hold a first-level position in the hospitals. The enables the aspirant to earn a minimum level of knowledge which can be useful for attending the patients and check they're well being.
This course teaches students the theoretical and practical aspects of nursing. The curriculum imparts the knowledge of midwifery, first-aid and nursing. In B.Sc. Nursing, understudies learn hypothetical just as reasonable parts of nursing. Four-year certification in scientific studies in Nursing might be a 4-year long school kid program inside which an understudy picks up with respect to the superb data of nursing, emergency treatment, and maternity care.
Qualification Criteria For B.Sc. Nursing To take affirmation in B.Sc Nursing an understudy should medicinally coordinate and once completing 10+2 in science stream with Biology, Physics and Chemistry subjects and ought to have scored at least 45% from a perceived board they'll apply in shifted nursing schools.
Age criteria are 17-35 years.
General Nursing and Midwifery (GNM)
GNM is a program where plans understudies to wind up general medical attendants and the utilitarian part will be in first-level positions in clinics.
The term of this course duration is 3 to 3.5 years.
Qualification Criteria for GNM Nonetheless, there is no age bar for ANM/LHV's. Least instruction is required 10+2 in Science stream with PCB and English with a total score of 40%.
Age criteria are between 17-35 years.
Post Basic B.Sc In Nursing
Universities give affirmation on legitimacy premise and as a rule, direct a determination test and a meeting for confirmation.
Post Basic Bachelor of Science in Nursing is a 2-year long degree program.
Qualification Criteria for Post Basic B.Sc In Nursing: State Nursing Registration Council does the enrollment for an understudy who needs to do the course. The understudy ought to have finished GNM, which should be possible after 10+2 from the science steam.
If an experienced nurse wishes to take the career to a whole new level, then he/ she can choose to opt for this course. After completing this course, the aspirant can go for the teaching line in the Nursing sector.
Ace of Science in Pediatric Nursing is a Postgraduate dimension program with the specialization in Pediatrics.
Nursing in Pediatric is an exceptional program which centres around giving total consideration to newborn children, youngsters, and youths.
Qualification Criteria for M.Sc In Pediatric Nursing It's a 2-year long degree program which least requires a Bachelor's Degree in Sciences with at least 55% imprints. Before conceding the understudies, few of the universities have their very own selection test.
Auxiliary Nurse and Midwife and Health Worker (MHW)
This programme teaches about the methods to take care of the health of people residing in rural areas. A special emphasis is given to the children, women and elderly people.
Helper Nurse Midwifery course is prominently known as ANM which is a 2-year long Diploma program.
Qualification Criteria for ANM An understudy can select this program in the wake of finishing 10+2 from a perceived board/college with at least 45% imprints.
An understudy ought to be restoratively fit for this course. Some school leads its own placement test and meeting for confirmation. In this course, understudies are set up to think about people, families, and networks.
Role of a Nurse
Nursing is a profession done by a nurse whose primary role is to care for patients and manage physical needs, prevent illness, and to monitor the health conditions of the patient. They are also responsible for the holistic care of patients, which encompasses the psychosocial, development, cultural, and spiritual needs for an individual. The various responsibilities of a nurse are to
- Record medical history and symptoms
- Collaborate with team to plan for patient care
- Monitor patient health and wellbeing of a patient
- Collect blood samples
- Advice on child immunisations
- Screening process on Men's health
- Perform diagnostic tests
- Provide support and advice to patients
Eligibility for Nursing
The eligibility criteria for various courses in Nursing are mentioned below
Diploma in Nursing
To pursue a Diploma in Nursing, the candidate needs to have passed the 10+2 exam from any recognized board in India. The subjects should be Physics, Chemistry, and Biology.
The candidate should have passed the 10+2 in Science with Physics, Chemistry, and Biology as the subjects from a recognized board in India to pursue B.Sc Nursing.
The candidate must have one-year working experience before opting for M.Sc Nursing course. The candidate needs a B.Sc degree as well from a recognized university to pursue this programme. The aspirant can pursue his/ her career as a Nurse Practioner. The nurse becomes eligible to prescribe medicines and diagnose a few ailments of the patients after this course.
Nursing involves not only taking care of the sick and needing but other opportunities for nurses are available in teaching, administration and research-based jobs. They can also assist medical specialists and help them set up medical equipment in operation theatres and clinical laboratories. Other than the mentioned general activities, nurses can acquire specialisation in a particular area such as midwifery, cardiac care, intensive care, orthopaedics, paediatrics, and so on. As discussed earlier, there are no limits on the scope of Nursing. The field of Nursing is evergreen as they are required in a number of diverse fields as:
- Old age Homes
- Schools and more.
View the different profession openings and specializations-
- You can select to be a Staff Nurse. Staff medical caretakers give direct consideration to patients. They are responsible for the ward manager for the help they perform in the ward the executives and supervision.
- Nursing Supervisor or Ward Sister is another vocation choice. They are liable to the nursing director. They are in charge of nursing care, wellbeing and solace the executives of a ward or a unit. They additionally allocate work to the staff working in the ward, paying little respect to whether they are in the nursing calling. On the off chance that they work in a showing clinic, at that point they additionally give exercises to understudies.
- An Assistant Nursing Superintendent or Department Supervisor is responsible for the nursing director and appointee nursing administrator. They hold the obligation of nursing care and the executives of more than one unit or ward. It very well may be an office, for example, the careful division or the outpatient office.
- Representative Nursing Superintendents are responsible for the nursing administrator. They hold the duty of helping the last in the nursing organization of the medical clinic.
- Nursing Superintendent is responsible to the medicinal administrator. They hold the duty of security and in the meantime effective administration of the majority of the administrations the medical clinic gives.
- Chief of Nursing holds the obligation of watching out for both the nursing administrations and the instructing administrations if the medical clinic offers nursing training.
Nursing Colleges in India
Listed below are some of the top colleges for Nursing courses in India where one can start a career in Nursing
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi
- Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research, Pondicherry
- SNDT Women's University Churchgate
- Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER), Chandigarh
- Armed Forces Medical College, Pune
- Banglore Medical College and Research Institute
- Christian Medical College, Vellore
- Sri Ramachandra Institute of Higher Education Research, Chennai
- Apollo College of Nursing, Chennai
Salary of a nurse in India
Subsequent to staying in the calling for something like five years, you can expect a month to month compensation in the range of Rs.3.2 lakh – Rs.7.8 lakh. Medical caretakers and ladies with over 20 years of experience get a month to month pay between Rs.1.0 lakh – Rs. 2.3 lakh every month.