The Border Security Force(BSF) of India is an organization founded on December 1, 1965, to guard the Indian borders with China, Pakistan and Bangladesh. The paramilitary force guards our borders and prevents transnational crime. It currently stands as the world’s largest border guarding force with more than 25 lakh personnel. It is rightly termed as “The First Line of Defence of Indian Territories”.
- What is the BSF Exam?
- BSF 2021 Recruitment
- BSF 2021 Exam Date
- BSF 2021 Application Form
- BSF 2021 Application Process
- BSF 2021 Exam Centers
- BSF 2021 Eligibility
- BSF 2021 Vacancy
- BSF 2021 Exam pattern
- BSF 2021 Syllabus
- BSF 2021 Admit Card
- BSF 2021 Result
- BSF 2021 Cutoff
- BSF 2021 Salary
- BSF 2021 Reference Books
- How to prepare for BSF 2021
- BSF 2021 Helpdesk
What is the BSF Exam?
The BSF Exam is conducted to recruit aspiring candidates into various positions available at the Border Security Force. The overview of the exam is given below.
|Exam Name||BSF Recruitment Exam|
|Conducting Body||Border Security Force|
|Exam Level||National Level|
|Frequency||Once a year|
|Language||English & Hindi|
BSF 2021 Recruitment
The BSF 2021 Recruitment will be held in two phases.
Written Exam: Written examination will have multiple choice based objective type questions. The answers have to be marked on an OMR sheet.
- i) Documentation: Candidates will have to produce original documents to prove their eligibility.
- ii) Physical Standard Test: Physical measurements of the candidates will be taken by the selection board to assess the height, weight, and chest measurements.
- iii) Physical Efficiency Test: Candidates will have to qualify in certain events by completing them within the specified time.
- iv) Trade Test: The selection board will assess the knowledge and experience of the candidates in the technical field of the post applied by them
- v) Medical Examination: Medical officer will assess the medical fitness of the candidates.
Candidates will be allowed to attend the next stage if and only if he/she qualifies in the previous stage.
BSF 2021 Exam Date
The important dates related to the BSF 2021 Exam is mentioned below.
|Application Start Date||To be announced|
|Last date to submit the application||To be announced|
|Admit card||To be announced|
|Exam date||To be announced|
BSF 2021 Application Form
- The BSF 2021 Application form must be filled by the candidates with their own handwriting. Correction / Cutting to be avoided.
- Application forms that are not in the prescribed format or not accompanied by the required enclosures or incomplete or defective will be rejected.
- Candidates need to be very careful while filling the form as they will not be informed if their application is rejected.
- Candidates need not submit any original documents to support their claims.
- Candidates need to make sure they satisfy the eligibility criteria before applying to the exam.
- Candidates seeking reservation benefits must ensure that they are entitled to such benefits as per the eligibility criteria prescribed by the conducting authority. They should also be in possession of certificates in the format prescribed by the Government of India.
- In the later stages if the candidate is found to be ineligible for the post then the candidature will be canceled.
- The envelope containing the duly filled application form must be subscribed in bold letters with “APPLICATION FOR THE POST OF SI(MASTER), SI(ENGINE DRIVER), SI(WORKSHOP), HC(MASTER), HC(ENGINE DRIVER), HC(WORKSHOP), & CT(CREW) IN BSF WATER WING EXAMINATION-2021”
- All eligible candidates who apply in response to the advertisement before the closing date will be assigned registration/roll numbers.
- Candidates will be communicated through call letters/admit cards to appear in the first phase of the selection process.
- Proof of Age: Copy of Matriculation certificate
- Proof of Education: Copy of Essential education qualification.
- Proof of technical qualification and experience: Copy of essential technical qualification and experience certificate.
- Copy of caste certificate.
- Copy of certificate in support to avail relaxation in height and chest measurements.
- Undertaking certificate regarding swimming for those candidates applying for the post of CT(Crew)
- Copy of Income and Assets certificate.
- Copy of essential certificates in case of seeking age relaxation.
- A copy of the discharge certificate should be enclosed by Ex-servicemen.
- NOC and service certificate and disciplinary/vigilance clearance for BSF/ Central/State/ Govt/ Public sector employees.
- All photocopies should be self-attested by the candidate.
- Two self-addressed envelopes with postage stamps worth INR 41 each duly affixed.
BSF 2021 Application Process
The duly filled application form has to be sent to anyone of the following centers
|Center||Center Code||Application to be sent to||DD / IPO to be prepared in favor of||DD / BD should be payable at the bank|
|Kolkata||01||The Inspector General, Ftr HQ BSF South Bengal, Action Area-II E, New Town, Rajarhat, Kolkata (West Bengal), PIN - 700161||“IG BSF South Bengal”||SBI Chinar Park, Kolkata, Code No. 11542|
|Guwahati||02||The Inspector General, Ftr HQ BSF Guwahati, PO-Azara, Dist - Kamrup, Guwahati (Assam) PIN - 781017||“IG BSF Guwahati”||SBI Airport Guwahati, Code No.03776|
|Jalandhar||03||The Inspector General, Ftr HQ BSF Jalandhar, PO - BSF Campus, Jalandhar, Cantt, Punjab PIN - 144006||“IG BSF Punjab”||SBI BSF Campus Jalandhar, Code No.6596|
|Bangalore||04||The Inspector General, Ftr HQ BSF Bangalore, Air Force Station, Yelahanka, Bangalore PIN - 560063||“IG BSF Bangalore”||SBI AFS Yelahanka, Code No. 02187|
|Kadamtala||05||The Inspector General, Ftr HQ BSF North Bengal, PO - Kadamtala ( Siliguri), Darjeeling (West Bengal), PIN - 734433||“IG BSF North Bengal”||SBI NBU Campus Siliguri, Code No. 2096|
|Gandhi Nagar||06||The Inspector General, Ftr HQ BSF Gujarat, PO - CRPF Group Center, Chiloda Road, Distt - Gandhi Nagar, (Gujarat) PIN - 382042||“IG BSF Gujarat”||SBI GC CRPF Gandhinagar, Code No. 6825|
|Agartala||07||The Inspector General, Ftr HQ BSF Tripura, PO - Salbagan, Agartala, Tripura (West) PIN - 799012||“IG BSF Tripura”||SBI Salbagan, Code No. 4570|
|Delhi||08||The Commandant, 95 Bn BSF, Bhondsi Campus, Near Sohna Road, Distt-Gurgaon, Haryana PIN - 122102||“Commandant 95 Bn BSF”||SBI Badshahpur, Code No. 02300|
BSF 2021 Application Fee
The application fee to be paid by a Demand Draft / Postal Order in favor of the addressee where the application is being sent by the candidate. The candidates belonging to SC / ST / Ex-Servicemen are exempted from paying the application fee.
|SC (Master), SI (Workshop), SI (Engine Driver)||INR 200|
|HC (Master), HC (Workshop), HC (Engine Driver), CT (Crew)||INR 100|
BSF 2021 Exam Centers
Candidates must indicate the centers in the application form. Candidates must submit the duly filled application form only to the concerned BSF office under whose jurisdiction the center selected by the candidate falls. Application received in any other HQ of BSF other than the centers shown above will be rejected summarily.
BSF 2021 Eligibility
The eligibility criteria of different posts under the BSF 2021 Recruitment are given below.
|Post Name||Age Limit||Educational Qualification|
|SI (Master)||Between 22 to 28 years||
|SI (Engine Driver)||Between 22 to 28 years||
|SI (Workshop)||Between 20 to 25 years||
|HC (Master)||Between 20 to 25 years||
|HC (Engine Driver)||Between 20 to 25 years||
|HC (Workshop)||Between 20 to 25 years||
|CT (Crew)||Between 20 to 25 years||
Candidates belonging to the Physically Handicapped Category are not eligible to apply for the exam.
The age relaxation available for different categories is given below.
|SC / ST||5 years|
|Ex-Servicemen (SC/ST)||8 years|
|Ex-Servicemen (OBC)||6 years|
|Ex-Servicemen (Unreserved)||3 years|
|Central Govt Civilian Employees and Department Candidates (SC/ST)||10 years|
|Central Govt Civilian Employees and Department Candidates (OBC)||8 years|
|Central Govt Civilian Employees and Department Candidates (Unreserved)||5 years|
|Children and dependant family of those killed in the Communal riots 1984 and Gujarat riots 2002 (SC/ST)||10 years|
|Children and dependant family of those killed in the Communal riots 1984 and Gujarat riots 2002 (OBC)||8 years|
|Children and dependant family of those killed in the Communal riots 1984 and Gujarat riots 2002 (Unreserved)||5 years|
The required physical standards which have to be met by the aspiring candidates are listed below.
|Category||Minimum Height||Minimum Chest Width|
|Schedule Tribes / Adivasis of all States and Union Territories including Nagas and Mizos||160 cms||73 cms (Unexpanded) 78 cms (Expanded)|
|A person belonging to
||162.5 cms||75 cms (Unexpanded) 80 cms (Expected)|
|Person Belonging to other States and Union Territories.||165 cms||75 cms (Unexpanded) 80 cms (Expected)|
BSF 2021 Vacancy
The number of vacancies available for different posts under different categories is listed below.
|SI (Engine Driver)||-||03||01||03||01||01||09|
|HC (Engine Driver)||-||24||05||22||10||07||68|
BSF 2021 Exam Pattern
The exam pattern of the BSF 2021 is given below.
i) Written Exam Pattern:
For the post of SI (Master), SI (Engine Driver), and SI (Workshop)
|Part-A||General Knowledge and Awareness||25||25||2 Hours (120 min)|
For the post of HC (Master), HC (Engine Driver), HC (Workshop), and CT (Crew)
|Part-A||General Knowledge and Awareness||35||35||2 Hours (120 min)|
ii) Physical Standard Test (PST):
The selection board will assess the height, weight, and chest measurements of the candidates according to the prescribed physical standards.
iii) Physical Examination Test (PET):
Candidates are required to qualify in the following events:
- 1 Mile Race - 8 minutes
- High Jump - 3 feet 6 inches (3 attempts)
- Long Jump - 11 feet (3 attempts)
iv) Trade Test
The selection board will assess the knowledge and experience of candidates in the respective technical field or trade applied by the candidate.
v) Medical Examination:
|Visual Acuity Unaided (Near Vision)||Uncorrected Visual Acuity (Distant vision)||Refraction||Remarks|
|Better Eye||Worse Eye||Better Eye||Worse Eye|
|N6||N9||6/6||6/9||Visual correction of any type is not permitted even by glasses.||In the right person, the right eye is the better eye and vice versa. Binocular vision is required.|
Content: Tattoos depicting the religious symbols, figures, or names, as followed in India are permitted.
Location: Tattoos marked on the traditional sites of the body like inner aspects of the forearm but only the left arm, being non saluting limb, or dorsum of the hands are allowed.
Size: Size must be less than ¼ of that particular part of the body (Elbow or Hand)
BSF 2021 Syllabus
The syllabus of the topics which are common for all the posts is given below.
|a) General Knowledge and Awareness||General Science and TechnologyCurrent AffairsIndian ConstitutionSportsIndian HistoryGeneral PolityIndian Culture|
|b) Reasoning Ability||Coding and DecodingFigure ClassificationThe number and Alphabet SeriesDistance and DirectionsRelationship ConceptsSpiral OrientationVisual Memory|
|c) Numerical Ability||Mixed FractionsAveragesPercentagesSimple MensurationTime and WorkProfit and LossDiscount and RatioSimple InterestCompound InterestBasics (2*2)(3*3) Multiplication|
Trade Awareness (2nd Class Master Level) for the post of SI (Master)
- i) Management of inland vessels under all conditions
- ii) Knowledge of storm and distress signals.
- iii) Marking and the use of the lead line.
- iv) Knowledge of the compass
- v) Steps to be taken in the event of vessel grounding.
- vi) Rules of the road with regards to both, sailing vessels, and mechanically propelled vessels, their regulations, lights, fog, and sound signals.
- vii) Management of vessels undertow or when towed or pushing.
- viii) Provisions of the rules with regards to the carriage of passengers.
- ix) Knowledge of Inland vessels act.
- x) Knowledge of loading marks and inland vessels.
- xi) Knowledge of GPS, DGPS, VHF, Radar and Echo sounder for safe navigation
Trade Awareness (1st Class Engine Driver Level) for the post of SI (Engine Driver)
- i) Principles and working of internal combustion engines.
- ii) Valve setting and injection setting of the marine engines.
- iii) Fuel system, lubrication system, and cooling system of engines.
- iv) Troubleshooting engines.
- v) Replacement of various lines and cylinder head of engines with appropriate knowledge of torque.
- vi) Overhauling of engines.
- vii) Provisions of inland vessel ruling for life-saving, fire appliances, and general discipline.
- viii) The adjustment of the working path of the inland vessel rules to get optimum efficiency of the engines.
Trade Awareness (SI Workshop)
- i) Internal combustion engines.
- ii) Units of Measurements
- iii) Components of diesel and petrol engines.
- iv) Fuel system, lubrication system, and cooling system of the engine.
- v) Units of measurement.
- vi) Voltage, current, resistance, miniature circuit breakers.
- vii) Pumps, gears, and clutches.
- viii) Electronics, diode, transistor, printed circuit board.
BSF 2021 Admit Card
- The BSF 2021 Application form and Admit cards must to be duly filled by the candidates and should be sent to the mentioned address.
- Corrections if any, should be legible and attested by the candidate.
- A copy of a recent passport size photograph should be pasted on the admit card.
- The venue, date, and time of the examination, documentation, physical standard test, physical efficiency test, trade test, and medical examination will be intimated to the candidates.
BSF 2021 Result
Results of any of the tests will not be intimated to the candidates and no correspondence will be entertained by the board in this regard. Candidates can follow the given steps to view their results.
- Step 1: Visit the official website.
- Step 2: In the notification section click on the “Results”
- Step 3: Enter the login credentials.
- Step 4: View the result.
- Step 5: Take a print out of the same.
BSF 2021 Cutoff
The minimum percentage of marks that the candidates must score in order to qualify in the BSF 2021 exam is mentioned below.
|General / OBC / EWS||35%|
|SC / ST||33%|
BSF 2021 Salary
The pay scale for different posts under the BSF 2021 recruitment is given below.
|Post Name||Level in Pay Matrix|
|SI (Master)||Level-6 ( INR 35,400 - INR 1,12,400)|
|SI (Engine Driver)||Level-6 ( INR 35,400 - INR 1,12,400)|
|SI (Workshop)||Level-6 ( INR 35,400 - INR 1,12,400)|
|HC (Master)||Level-4 ( INR 25,500 - INR 81,100)|
|HC (Engine Driver)||Level-4 ( INR 25,500 - INR 81,100)|
|HC (Workshop)||Level-4 ( INR 25,500 - INR 81,100)|
|CT (Crew)||Level-3 ( INR 21,700 - INR 69,100)|
BSF 2021 Reference Books
The books that the candidates can refer to in order to understand the concepts while preparing for the exam are mentioned below.
|Book||Author / Publication|
|BSF Constable Guide||Vidya|
|BSF Head Constable and Assistant Sub Inspector||Arihant|
|BSF Constable Guide with Current Affairs||Guider|
|SSC Constable||R Gupta|
How to prepare for BSF 2021
A few tips on how to score well in the BSF 2021 Exam is mentioned below.
- Candidates need to refer to the syllabus and exam pattern before starting the preparation process.
- Creating a timetable and following it every day will help the candidates to cover a major portion of the syllabus on time which will also enable them to have time for revisions.
- Making bullet points of the important things will help during the revision process.
- Candidates can use reference books in order to understand any difficult topic.
- Candidates need to take up mock tests to improve time management. Mock tests will also help the candidates understand the topics that they need to focus on.
BSF 2021 Helpdesk
Official Website: bsf.nic.in / bsf.gov.in
Email Address: [email protected]
Contact Number: 011-24368925 / 24368926
Timings: Monday - Friday (9.30 am - 6pm)
Postal Address: HQr DG BSF, Block no 10, Lodhi Road, New Delhi- 110003