M.Sc is a course that the student can pursue after graduation. When you have graduated or are about to graduate from a B.Sc course, you may wonder, “What next?” Start applying for jobs or enroll for an M.Sc programme?
Choosing both of the alternatives can provide enough career opportunities. However, before making a decision, you must get yourself acquainted with all the proper information
Master of Science (M.Sc) is a course after the graduation stage programme offered in many colleges and universities across India. The programme provides advanced theoretical as well as real expertise in a variety of specialized science fields – Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Botany, Zoology, Biology, Nursing, and the list continues.
Top M.Sc entrance exams in India
Here is a list of the top M.Sc entrance exams in India:
|M.Sc Entrance exam||Course Offered|
M.Sc Entrance Exams Eligibility Criteria
Here are some criteria of some M.Sc entrance which is conducted according to their respective university. Some of them are given below:
For IIT JAM, the eligibility criteria for the M.Sc program requires applicants to satisfy certain qualifications for appearing in the exam. The set of requirements beneath IIT JAM eligibility standards are as follows:
- Educational Qualification: Graduation
- Marks Criteria: In 10+2+3 pattern with a minimum score of 55% i.e; 5.5 out of 10 GPA and 50% for the SC/ST/OBC category.
- Subject Criteria:
|Course||Mandatory subject with a fixed minimum duration||Mandatory subject(10+2)|
|M.Sc Biotechnology||Any Branch||Biology|
|M.Sc Chemistry||Graduation with the chemistry with a minimum of three years or six semesters||Mathematics|
|Joint M.Sc-PhD (Chemistry)||Graduation with the chemistry with a minimum of three years or six semesters||Mathematics|
|M.Sc applied Geology||Graduation with any two subject Biological Science, Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics||Mathematics|
When the student wants to apply for this entrance exam, he/she must check the eligibility criteria:
- Age: Minimum 17 years of age and maximum 23 years of age
- Subject Criteria:
|Course||Minimum Qualification||Minimum Marks|
|M.Sc Agriculture Biochemistry/Agricultural Economics/Agricultural Economic||B.Sc. Agriculture||60%|
|M.Sc Home Science||10+2+3 pattern in BSc with Home Science for this||60%|
|M.Sc Agriculture Biotechnology||Bachelor Degree in Agriculture, Horticulture, Biotechnology||60%|
|M.Sc Agricultural Meteorology Horticulture Nematology||10+2+3 in Agriculture, Horticulture||60%|
|M.Sc Agricultural Statistics||Bachelor Degree in Agriculture Horticulture||60%|
The NEST entrance exam provides the gateway for candidates seeking admissions into the integrated M.Sc courses in the National Institute of Science Education and Research (NISER), and University of Mumbai - Department of Atomic Energy Centre for Excellence in Basic Sciences (UM- DAE CBS). Candidates must meet the following required criteria to be eligible for NEST:
- Educational Qualification: Pass Class 12 board exams or an equivalent in the science stream for the years 2018 or 2019, or appeared in a 2020 Class 12 exam from any recognised higher secondary board in India.
- Marks Criteria: A minimum of 60% aggregate in 10+2 board exams. For SC/ST/Divangjan candidates, the minimum aggregate is 55%
- Age Limit: Candidates should be born on or after August 1, 2000. SC/ST/Divangjan candidates get an age relaxation of 5 years
- Merit List: Candidates must secure a position in the NEST merit list
- Subjects Criteria: Candidates should have studied science in Classes 11 and 12, with a combination of Biology, Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics
M.Sc Entrance Exams Pattern
Here is the list of exam patterns of some of the M.Sc entrance exams:
UPCATET Exam Pattern
|Type of questions||200 multiple choice question will be asked in UPCATET M.Sc entrance exam|
|Medium||English & Hindi|
|Exam mode||Computer-based Test|
|Type of questions||There are 7 multiple choice papers
|Marks||100 marks(1 for a correct answer, ⅓ mark will be deducted for incorrect responses)|
NEST Exam Pattern
|Exam Mode||Computer-based Test|
|Type of questions||
|Duration||3 hours and 30 minutes (210 minutes)|
|Marks||230 (1 mark for every correct answer, no negative marking)|
|Syllabus||NCERT/ CBSE board Class 10+2 Syllabus|
By following this exam pattern and syllabus, the student will get to know about the exam and will help in the entrance exam.
If the student follows this pattern, they can achieve a good score and can get admission to their chosen colleges or universities.
Skills Required for M.Sc
In a progressively competitive international market, an M.Sc degree can facilitate in setting an individual stand out from different graduates. Pursuing an M.Sc degree gives college students the danger to examine as a good deal as they can about their location of interest through centered education, honing their skills, improving their technical capabilities and broadly speaking becoming a specialist inside the field. The basic capabilities that aspirants looking to pursue an M.Sc diploma should possess are:
- Ability to explain complex thoughts using logical reasoning, rational thinking, and analytical competencies to envision the pros/cons of exchange solutions.
- High strength levels, and the potential to inspire and manage oneself.
- A scientific and analytical technique and problem-solving skills using logical thinking.
- To be systematic, methodical and take note of detail
- Excellent communique and writing skills.
- Ability to prioritize paintings and control workload which include the potential to paintings under pressure.
- Judgment and decision-making talents wherein thinking about the related costs/blessings of ability movements and choosing the right one.
- Technical and Research Skills.
Career After M.Sc
M.Sc guides are popular among technological know-how aspirants owing to diverse opportunities that they could pursue post the entirety of these publications. M.Sc, being a globally recognized programme offers numerous activity potentialities in India and abroad, depending on the specialization which the student has studied. There are masses of possibilities both within the non-public and the public sector, in addition to the schooling and research sector. Some of the important thing task profile that scholars can get after finishing touch of the M.Sc degree are:
|Job Type||Job Description||Salary LPA in INR|
|Manager/executive||Planning, main, and control of the operations of a business’ unit/division/department inside an organization.||3-15|
|Research assistant||Designing, carrying out and studying information obtained from managed laboratory-based investigations and experiments||3-6|
|Laboratory Technician||Working as professional scientists to carry out assessments which discover the presence/absence of diseases||2.5-5|
|Chemical Analyst||Collecting facts approximately the chemical substance compositions and processes, and communicating these facts via the mediums of engineering/mathematics/technology.||2.6-9.6|
|Food and Drug Inspector||Ensuring that meals/prescription drugs at numerous ranges of the production system meet nice requirements and are secure for human intake.||2-10|
|Professor||Teaching, guiding students approximately the specific publications and its specializations. Supporting and helping college students with their studies and study||2.5-8|
|Scientist||Engages in a systematic hobby to accumulate knowledge which defines and envisages the natural world||6-20|
Hence, pursuing M.Sc course with a selected aim can turn out to be the best choice for an aspirant. An aspirant just has to take a little time to figure out what he/she wants to do after M.Sc. With the above points kept in mind, I hope you will be successful to achieve your dreams.