Engineering is not only a career but more of an area of expertise, which opens doors to a vast expanse of jobs both in government and private sectors. The article aims to discuss government jobs for the engineer.
Evolution of Public Sector Over Time
The public sector has played a crucial role in the growth of the country's economy and the country's industrialization since its independence. The first public sector undertakings were the railways. Soon after independence, the government undertook the task of setting up a robust economic infrastructure. The main area of focus is laid on iron & steel industries, power generation, mining, and oil refining activities and several infrastructure activities
Top Government Sectors That Recruit Engineers
Here's a list of government sectors that offer substantial employment opportunities for engineering freshers and experienced engineers.
- Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL)
- Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL)
- Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited (HPCL)
- Engineers India Limited ( EIL)
- National Projects Construction Corporation Limited (NPCC)
- Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL)
- Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited (BPCL)
- Metallurgical and Engineering Limited (MECON)
- Steel Authority Of India Limited (SAIL)
- National Thermal Power Corporation Limited ( NTPC)
- Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC)
- Gas Authority of India (GAIL)
- National Projects Construction Corporation Limited (NPCC)
- Air Indian Limited
- Power Grid
- Ministry of Defence
- Banking Sectors
Eligibility Criteria for Applying for Government Jobs
Students applying for government jobs must have a four-year Bachelor of Engineering (B.E) or a bachelor of technology (B.Tech) from any recognized university. Students holding a degree from associate member institute of engineers (AMIE) are also eligible. Both final year engineering students and fresh engineering holders can apply for Engineering Government Jobs.
How to land in Government Sector Jobs?
Most public sector undertakings recruit candidates through three ways, namely competitive examinations, GATE scores, and directly applying through to PSU's. The most popular way of recruiting candidates is through competitive exams. Used as a screening tool where students securing above the minimum criteria qualifies for the next assessment stage ie, group discussion, and personal interview.
Several PSUs select candidates based on their GATE scores like the power grid. A qualifying score is determined, and candidates who have scored above the minimum criteria in the GATE examination can apply. Students securing above the minimum standards qualify for the next assessment stage.
Things You Should Know About GATE Exam
Graduate Aptitude Test is considered a national level computer test conducted to examine the understanding of various engineering and science undergraduate subjects. It consists of 65 multiple choice and numerical questions over a 3-hour duration. Exam questions broadly classified into engineering mathematics questions, general aptitude, and core questions.
Students with high GATE scores get direct interview calls for prestigious PSU jobs in India who tend to offer more top packages. For Example Powergrid
Overview Of Opportunities for Engineers In Government Sector
- Civil Services: Considered the most prestigious and renowned jobs in India. Services such as IAS, IPS, IFS, IES, and IRS regarded as prestigious jobs that unmatch anything in the private sector.
- PSU's: Getting recruited in PSU's is one of the most popular options among the Engineers. PSU's consider the GATE scorecard in recruitment, hence securing a high score in such an exam becomes essential.
- Defense Services: Getting recruited in the Army, Navy, or Air Force provides handsome perks in addition to medical benefits and other Facilities apart from being the essential jobs in India. Entrance Exams include Combined entrance exam (CDS), National Defence Exam, etc
- Banking Sector: The work of a Bank Probationary Officer includes managerial tasks, decisions for the benefit of the bank, managing cash balance, etc
- Railway Engineers: Indian Railways regarded as one of the best career options. Job profiles in Railways for Engineers include Senior Section Engineer and Junior Engineer
- Scientists: Getting recruited in Institutions such as ISRO, DRDO. Being a scientist is a brilliant career option and a dream come true for many.
- IT Officer in Public Sector Banks: Many public sector banks hire for the position of information technology officer responsible for developing and implementing technology solutions in their organizations.
- Clerical Cadre in Public Sector Banks: Another popular option amongst the Engineers. Considered as an entry-level position that provides good perks and promotional avenues much better than any private sector.
Various Job Titles Offered For Engineers
Here's a list of multiple job titles offered on completing engineering
- Junior Engineers
- Graduate Apprentices / Graduate Engineering Trainees (GET)
- Senior Engineers
- Executive Trainees
- Medical Laboratory Officer
- System Officer
- Information Technology Officer
- Engineering Executive Trainee
- Engineering Trainee
Government Jobs For Various Streams Of Engineering
- Government jobs for mechanical engineers:- Mechanical engineering graduates can join various government departments, ministries, PSUs, etc. Employment opportunities include working as executive Engineer, Faculty in govt colleges, Apprentice, Technician, etc. Indian Railway, Indian Armed Forces, ISRO, DRDO, and associated PSUs under the Ministry of Defense such as BARC, BHEL, BEML, Banknote paper mill (BNPM), BPCL, BEL hire mechanical engineers.
- Government jobs for Electrical Engineers:- Electrical engineers can find employment opportunities in DRDO, Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC), ISRO, etc. Candidates can work in state Government jobs like in Public work departments (PWD), Electricity board, State Universities, Agriculture board.
- Government jobs for Civil Engineers Freshers:-There are a lot of job opportunities for civil engineers withing the public sector like Bharat petroleum corporation limited (BPCL), coal India Limited (CIL), electronics corporation of India Limited (ECIL), Delhi development authority, Delhi metro rail corporation, etc. Students can attempt Indian Engineering Services (IES) for civil engineers and get an opportunity to work in organizations like the survey of India, central water commission, ministry of road transport and highways, border roads organization, etc.
- Government jobs for Computer Science Engineers:-Graduates of computer science students can find employment in nationalized banks as information technology officer. Candidates can find jobs in the public sector undertaking like food corporation of India(FCI), national informatics center (NIC), education and research network ( ERNET India), Centre for development of advanced computing (CDAC), etc.
- Government jobs for Textile Engineers:- Candidates on completing textile engineering can join National textile corporation limited (NTCL) as a management trainee, trainee scientist in wool research association, superintendent at national handloom development corporation limited(NHDC), etc.
- Government jobs for instrumentation Engineer:-Students have an opportunity to apply for the electronics corporation of India.
- Government jobs for Electrical Engineer:-Students can attempt a staff selection exam (SSE) for junior engineers in the electrical field. Candidates can secure the job of assistant engineer in-state electricity board. Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC), Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL), Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL), Coal India Limited (CIL), Power Grid Corporation of India Limited (PGCIL), Centre for Electronics Design and Technology hire electrical engineers
- Government jobs for Chemical Engineer:-Top government organizations that hire chemical engineers include Indian oil corporation limited (IOCL), Hindustan petroleum corporation limited (HPCL), Oil and natural gas corporation limited (ONGC), steel authority of India Limited (SAIL), (BPCL), etc.
Benefits of working in the Public Sector
Students consider government jobs the most sought after options after Engineering.
- A broad overview of the sector
- Flexibility to plan
- Limited working hours
- Flexibility to stay in a particular geographical location
- Job stability
- Low Stress
- Better Career Growth Opportunities
- Other Monetary benefits like medical insurance, retirement benefits, etc