NIRF, an organization governed directly under MHRD, ranks the top universities in India every year based on their global rankings. The NIRF rankings are evaluated based on the research performance and academic community member's ratings worldwide. The higher education system of India is one of the most notable systems in the world. The Parliament of India in 1961 declared institutes of technology as "institutes of national importance."
Table of Contents
List of Top Universities in India
NIRF ranks institutes all around the country. Several parameters remain the same over the years, while the few sub-parameters might change. The list of top universities in India varies every year. Listed below are the top universities in India 2020 as ranked by NIRF.
|1||Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore||84.18|
|2||Jawaharlal Nehru University, Delhi||70.16|
|3||Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi||63.15|
|4||Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham, Coimbatore||62.27|
|5||Jadavpur University, Kolkata||61.99|
|6||University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad||61.70|
|7||Calcutta University, Kolkata||61.53|
|8||Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Manipal||61.51|
|9||Savitribai Phule Pune University, Pune||61.13|
|10||Jamia Millia Islamia, Delhi||61.07|
Indian Institute of Science
The Indian government established the Indian Institute of Science (IISc) in 1909. IISc has six academic divisions, 45 academic departments, 13 departments under the director, and six autonomous societies/centers. Admission to the University is made online, based on the merit list in the respective entrance exams.
Courses Offered at IISc
IISc offers B.Sc, M.Tech, MMS, M.Sc, MA, M.Des, and Ph.D. courses in various UG, PG, and Research levels. IISc is majorly known for M.Tech courses, which are provided in over 40 specializations.
The mode of the IISc Bangalore application process is online. Candidates are required to fill the application form available on the official website of the University.
- For admission to the BSc Research Programme, candidates must appear for JEE Main and JEE Advanced/ NEET.
- For admission to MTech, candidates must have a valid GATE score.
- For admission to Master of Management (MMgt), candidates must appear for GATE/CAT/GMAT.
- Admission to MDes will be based on an Aptitude Test and GATE/CEED.
- For admission for PhD, candidates must appear for JAM/JEST.
Jawaharlal Nehru University
In 1969 by an act of Parliament in line with the government's affirmative policy, Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) was established. JNU comprises 13 schools, 55 centers, and seven special centers. It has been recognized with the status of 'University of Excellence.' The University is known for churning out some of India's prominent thinkers, intellectuals, diplomats, and artists. JNU is also an active arena for political and social debates and is famous for leaning toward leftist ideology.
Courses Offered at JNU
The University offers undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctoral courses in Arts, Science, Computer Applications, Medical, Engineering, Law, Mass Communication, and Management. JNU is India's first University to offer foreign language courses within its integrated MA Program.
JNU admission to most courses is accepted through a computer-based test called JNUEE, conducted by the National Testing Agency (NTA).
- JNU MBA admission is given based on a valid CAT score, followed by a Personal Interview.
- MSc Biotechnology and MTech Biotechnology admission are granted basis JNU CEEB scores.
- JNU BTech admission are based on JEE Main scores.
Banaras Hindu University
The Banaras Hindu University, formerly known as the Central Hindu College, was founded in 1916. The Banaras Hindu University has also been called the Institute of national importance and eminence by the HRD Ministry. It has been accredited with grade "A" by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC), showing the quality education that is provided at the University.
Courses Offered at BHU
Banaras Hindu University offers 352 courses across 16 streams at UG, PG, and PhD programs. Under the UG program, BHU offers BA, BCom, BSC, and LLB. The PG program offers MA, LLM, MCom, MSc, MBA, and MPharm. It also offers special courses like Masters of Personnel Mgt. & Industrial Relation (MPMIR), MA in Public Administration (MPA), and a diploma in Gender & Women studies.
Banaras Hindu University conducts BHU Undergraduate Entrance Test (BHU UET) to admission in most UG programs like BA, BCom, BSc, LLB, and BHU Postgraduate Entrance Test (BHU PET) for admission to PG programs such as MA, MCom, LLM, MSc, MCA.
- Admission to BTech and BPharma is based on a valid score in JEE Main, JEE Advanced, BOT, and BPT
- BSc Nursing admission will take place based on BHU BSc Nursing 2020 entrance exam score
- MTech and MPharma admission will take place based on GATE score
- Admission to the MBA program is based on CAT scores and the performance in BHU-MBA entrance tests.
- Admission to LLB is based on the BHU UET entrance exam score.
- Admission to PhD programs will take place under the BHU RET entrance test score.
- Candidates are admitted to IMS through the Pre-Medical Test (PMT)
Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham
Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham, also known as Amrita University, was established in 1994. Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham offers 15 constituent schools under six campuses spread across rural and urban locations of three south Indian states- Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, and Kerala. The University recently launched six new online degree courses in Artificial Intelligence and Cyber Security, also a six-week online certificate program on Mahabharat.
Courses at Amrita University
Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham offers full-time programs such as BTech and BA at the UG level. It offers MTech, MBA, MSc, MSW, and MA in various specializations with two years at the postgraduate level. Additionally, the deemed-university offers a PhD program in several disciplines as well.
Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham Admission
Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham follows a comprehensive approach for their academic admission. The admission process for courses includes a personal interview conducted by the admission committee. The University also conducts Amrita Engineering Entrance Exam (AEEE) for admission to the BTech program.
- Amrita University BTech admission is based on JEE Main or AEEE rank
- For admission to BA in Mass Communication, a valid score in CAP Test is required
- Candidates with a cut off score in GATE are offered direct admission to the MTech program
- Admission to Amrita University MBA program is based on CAT, XAT, MAT, CMAT, GMAT, or GRE score followed by PI conducted by the institution
- For MSW, candidates will be selected based on their performance in the qualifying exam and PI conducted by the University
Jadavpur University was established in 1955, a state-level university located in Kolkata. NAAC accredits the University with Grade' A'. Jadavpur University has been ranked five for University and 17 for Engineering by NIRF 2020. Jadavpur University has two campuses located at Jadavpur and Salt Lake.
Courses at Jadavpur University
Jadavpur University offers several undergraduate programs, including BE, BTech, BA, BSc, BPharm, B.Lib.I.Sc, BPEd, and BArch. The University offers postgraduate courses such as ME, MTech, MA, MSc, MPharm, B.Ed, M.Lib.I.Sc, MEd, M.Arch, and MEd. At the doctorate level of education, Jadavpur University offers a full-time PhD program in 13 specializations.
Jadavpur University Admission
Jadavpur University admission to each course follows specific admission criteria. West Bengal Joint Entrance Examination (WBJEE), conducted by the West Bengal Joint Entrance Examinations Board (WBJEEB), is the official exam for admission. The University also offers admission to students based on their academic performance. Eligible students need to register online for admission.
- Admission to BE, BE (Evening), BTech and BPharm is based on a valid score in WBJEE.
- For the BArch program, the admission is dependent on the NATA score.
- ME, MTech, and MTech (Evening) admission is based on the GATE score.
- For the MPharm program, the final selection happens as per the candidate's performance in GPAT.
- Based on the WB JECA score, eligible candidates are selected for the MCA program.
- Admission to the remaining PG programs are made based on the merit list.
University of Hyderabad
The University of Hyderabad is a central university established in the year 1974. This University is well known for being the Research University of India.
Courses Available in University of Hyderabad
The University is known for its integrated courses - MSc, MA, MFA, MTech, MBA, MCA, MPhil, and PhD degrees. Hyderabad University offers undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctorate level courses across different engineering, management, science, and technology streams.
University of Hyderabad Admission
The admission process for all the courses is based on the UoH entrance exam followed by an interview. Few courses accept national-level entrance examinations such as CAT/ JEE MAIN scores. Below steps need to be followed for admission to the University of Hyderabad:
- Admission to Integrated M.Tech is made on JEE Main Score.
- MCA admission are based on NIMCET Score.
- Admission to MBA is based on CAT Score followed by Personal Interview and GD.
- Admission to M.Tech is based on GATE Score followed by Written Test and Personal Interview.
- Admission to M.Phil and PhD are based on Written Test followed by Interview or UGC NET/CSIR NET/NBHM /JRF/ICMR/ ICAR/ DBT scores.
Calcutta University was established in 1857 and was one of the first multidisciplinary and western-style foundations in Asia. It is accredited with Grade 'A' by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC). The University of Calcutta has been awarded 'Center with Potential for Excellence in Particular Area' and 'College with potential for greatness' by the University Grants Commission.
Course at CU
Calcutta University offers a total of 261 programs to students at the undergraduate (UG), postgraduate (PG), and doctorate (PhD) levels. Calcutta University programs include – Science, Humanities & Social Sciences, Commerce, Business & Management Studies, Mass Communication & Media, Engineering, Teaching & Education, Arts, and Law.
Admission to all the courses depends on a score in entrance tests and other criteria.
- WBJEE-qualified students are qualified to apply for the BTech program offered by Calcutta University.
- Admission to all the other UG courses is based on merit.
- Calcutta University offers admission to the MBA program in various specializations based on a valid CAT, MAT, or XAT score.
- For admission to the MTech program, a qualified score in University-Level Entrance is required for Non-CU applicants.
- Calcutta University offers admission to MA, MCom, MSc, M.Lib.Sc and LLM in multiple disciplines at PG level. Admission to these courses is based on merit.
- For Diploma courses, the admission is entirely merit-based
- PG Diploma courses need a valid score in the entrance test conducted by the University.
- PhD admission to Calcutta University is based on the Research Entrance Test (RET) conducted by the University, followed by an interview session.
Manipal Academy of Higher Education
Manipal Academy of Higher Education (MAHE Manipal), formerly known as Manipal University, is a Deemed-to-be-University established in 1993. MAHE Manipal has been conferred the Institution of Eminence (IOE) title by the Ministry of Education, Government of India. The academy has three faculty domains, including Faculty of Health Sciences, Faculty of Science, Technology & Management, and Faculty of Humanities, Liberal Arts & Social Sciences.
Courses Offered at MAHE
MAHE Manipal offers more than 75 undergraduate courses and over 225 postgraduate courses. Manipal University also offers lateral entry admission to seven UG courses. At the research level, the academy offers 13 fellowships and a PhD program.
MAHE offers various courses at the undergraduate level such as BCom, BA, BSc, BHM, BBA, and BDes, along with lateral entry admission to BSc and BHM courses.
- The candidates must fill and submit an online application form.
- Admission to all the UG programs is granted based on the Manipal Entrance Test scores or MET and qualifying examination scores. Admission to BDes, BCom, and BSc is made based on merit in the qualifying examination
- MBA admission is based on a valid score in MAT/ CMAT/ CAT or XAT followed by a group discussion and personal interview.
- Candidates with a valid NATA score are eligible for BArch admission
- Applicants need at least 50 percent marks in chemistry, physics, and biology to be eligible for MBBS
Savitribai Phule Pune University
Savitribai Phule Pune University was established in 1949 through Poona University Act. The University is considered one of India's premier universities. Savitribai Phule Pune University is popularly known as the 'Oxford of the East.' The University is accredited 'A' grade by National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC).
Courses at Savitribai Phule Pune University
Savitribai Phule Pune University has about 307 recognized research institutes and 612 affiliated colleges offering undergraduate, postgraduate, diploma, PG diploma, PhD, and certificate courses. The University also provides distance learning courses at UG, PG, and doctoral levels.
Savitribai Phule Pune University Admission
Candidates can apply online by visiting the official website of Savitribai Phule Pune University.
- Some of the UG, PG, Diploma and Certificate programs admission is based on the online entrance exam conducted by the University
- Candidates from Maharashtra seeking admission to the MBA program are required to clear the MAH CET exam.
- MTech and ME programs admission are made through MHT CET organized by DTE or based on GATE score
- Admission to the rest of the courses is based on national-level or state-level entrance exams
- PhD and MPhil program admission is conducted through an online entrance exam followed by a Personal Interview round
Jamia Millia Islamia
Jamia Millia Islamia was established in 1920 as a Central University at Aligarh, which later shifted to Delhi in 1925. JMI conducts the Jamia Millia Islamia entrance test to shortlist applicants for admission to various UG and PG courses.
Courses offered at Jamia Millia Islamia University
Jamia Millia Islamia University offers undergraduate, postgraduate, doctoral, diploma, certificate, and Postgraduate programs in Arts, Science, Commerce, Engineering, Management, and Pharmacy.
Jamia Millia Islamia University Admission
Jamia Millia Islamia offers various undergraduate, postgraduate, doctoral, diploma, and certificate courses in various specializations. Jamia Millia Islamia's admission is made through an entrance test score conducted by the University.
- To be eligible for any undergraduate program, the student should have passed class 12 in the relevant stream from a reputed board.
- The minimum eligibility to apply for master's courses is a graduate degree from a recognized university or Institute.
- Applicants with a master's degree are eligible to apply for research courses.
- Students applying to B.Tech or B.Arch programs need to appear for JEE Main.
- For admission to the BDS program, students have to qualify for NEET.
Parameters for Top Universities Ranking
The competition for one of India's top universities is fierce as the number increases day by day. Many international students join the courses, as well as the courses offered, are in English. Many parameters make these universities the best in the country.
- Teaching, Learning, and Resource: The teaching, learning, and resource parameters are based on the student strength, which includes the doctoral students as well. It also checks the faculty-student ratio. The ratio mainly emphasizes the permanent faculty. NIRF ranking criterion also involves the budget that a university holds and how efficiently they utilize it.
- Research and Professional Practice: The research and professional practice are determined by the combined metric for publications and publication quality. The ranking is also based on the number of IPR and the patents granted and published by the Universities. The footprint of projects and professional practice is also a ranking factor for the selected universities.
- Graduation Outcomes: One of the major NIRF parameters that determine India's Top Universities is the university examinations metric. It also includes the metric for the number of PhD students graduating.
- Outreach and Inclusivity: This parameter includes region diversity, women diversity, economically and socially challenged students, and facilities for physically challenged students. Region diversity includes the percentage of students from different states and countries studying at the University. Women diversity and economically and socially challenged students parameter evaluates the opportunities provided to both the Institute's categories. The facilities provided to physically challenged students help a university stand among the top universities in India.
Overall Ranking Eligibility
Each discipline has various parameters set for ranking an institute categorically. The following list describes all the set parameters as per discipline.
- For Top Universities in India 2020 ranking, all the institutes must have at least 1000 students enrolled in the UG and PG programs for each discipline.
- Institutes focused mainly on one primary discipline are ranked discipline-specific if they have less than 1000 students enrolled.
- For discipline-specific ranking, these institutes must register separately, providing all details on their departments. This will play a significant role if the University wants to stand at a national level.
- Open Universities and Affiliating Universities aren't considered for the ranking. But if they have their campus, they may participate without including the open or affiliating universities in the submitted data.
- Universities that have graduated at least three batches of students in full-time UG or PG programs can only be considered for the ranking.
- Once a university has been ranked, the data must be visible on the University's official website. If the Institute fails to do so, they will be given a notice, after which action might be taken.
- NIRF has taken up to audit the University's records and accounts whenever needed to ensure ethical behavior. Every University must cooperate else; it may lead to debarring.
- NIRF can also invite institutes to participate in ranking exercises by registering in the NIRF portal.
- The Institute must ensure that all the data submitted to NIRF are accurate. The Institute can check and verify the date and also make changes if required. No corrections can be made once the rankings have been announced.
- The Nodal officers send out an email if the data found is incorrect and requires correction. If found out that the University had deliberately manipulated the data, the Institute will be removed from the list.
- NIRF will entertain no complaints on the rankings.