A Statement of Purpose or SOP is generally written for university applications in the USA, UK, and Germany, more commonly for graduate/ postgraduate courses. An SOP for Australia is slightly different because an SOP is required for the Australian student visa application. Very rarely do universities in Australia ask for an SOP for their respective programs.
For the Australian student visa application, students need to write an SOP as a requirement for the Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) status. The GTE is pivotal in helping the decision committee determine whether a student is eligible to study in Australia or not.
In Australia, an SOP is not a requirement unless specifically mentioned by the university or the program. In most cases where an SOP is a university requirement, it will usually be for arts, business, and education programs. Furthermore, the SOP for universities in Australia should be written as a short essay.
Table of Contents
- Importance of Writing an SOP for Australia
- Writing Procedure
- SOP for Australian Universities
- Common Mistakes to avoid while writing an SOP for Australia
- SOP Sample for Australia
Importance of Writing an SOP for Australia
As mentioned above, Australia requires applying students to write an SOP for granting them an Australian student visa. SOPs for Australia need to be more objective and fact-based rather than written in the form of a story or having a narrative. However, this does not mean that the SOP should be monotonous and devoid of engagement. Writing an SOP for Australia differs from writing an SOP for the USA or UK for the following reasons:
- Countries like the USA or UK require university-specific or program-specific SOPs, whereas an SOP for Australia must primarily be focused on the student visa application.
- In Australian universities, SOPs are short essays to be written for arts, business, or education courses. In contrast, universities in the USA require SOPs for their graduate courses, and UK universities require SOPs for program-specific, written for the university program opted for by the student.
- SOPs in Australia are more evidence and fact-based, whereas those of the USA and UK require students to be more expressive while writing the SOP.
Australia has a Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) as part of the Australian student visa application. The particular visa known as ‘Australian Visa Subclass 500’ is an integral part of GTE, which proves that the students intend to stay in the country only for the duration of the university program.
For these reasons, an SOP is integral in determining whether a particular student is eligible for studying in Australia or not. Therefore, students must take care while writing their SOPs for Australia, ensuring that it reflects the facts about a student’s purpose, goals, and intent to study in the particular Australian university.
An applicant will be called for a visa interview based on the written SOP, so students should keep this fact in mind before writing their respective SOPs.
The following are some points for students to consider while writing their SOPs for Australia:
- The maximum limit of an SOP for Australia is three pages.
- The SOP must be written by the student and not by their parents or guardian (or some other third party).
- The English (Students must write the SOP in English alone) language used while writing the SOP should match that of the student’s English language proficiency.
- All claims made in the SOP must be backed by supporting documents.
Topics to be covered
Once the student is aware of the structural guidelines for writing an SOP for Australia, they must then include the following content in the SOP:
- Reasons for choosing Australia: The most crucial element of an SOP for Australia is for students to write down why they have chosen Australia as their educational destination. This section should highlight why Australia (the education system and academic institutions) is a better destination for students than other countries.
- Financial Details: Financial details are verified as part of any visa application for western and English-speaking countries. The government of Australia has to make sure that a student doesn’t extend their stay in the island continent beyond the duration of their course. The SOP will act as a written document highlighting the student’s ability to support themselves while studying in Australia. The financial details should have the following particulars:
- No. of family members (or dependents)
- Employment status of family members
- Family income
- Details of assets and liabilities
- Course Details: This section should include the details of the courses chosen by the student as part of their study in Australia, which should include the details of the course curriculum and duration, the reasons for choosing the specified course, and the relevance of the course to the student’s academic or professional background. The student should provide relevant details in case the program opted for is different from the academic or professional background of the applicant.
- University Details: This section should include the names (and list of, if more than one) of the universities applied to and the reasons for applying to these universities. If a student has been accepted by more than one university, the student must specify which university they intend to finalize.
- A gap in Work or Study: If a student has had a gap of more than six months in between work or study, they need to provide an explanation for the same and attach supporting documents.
- Goals in the Future: In this section, students should highlight the goals post-completion of their respective courses. Students should provide details on the following:
- Career options post-graduation
- Salaries offered by companies and organizations in the related field
- Details about business plans after graduation, if any
- Travel History: Students should provide details of their travel histories while writing their SOPs. The same details should be submitted in the visa application as well.
SOP for Australian Universities
Although most universities in Australia do not generally require an SOP, only four of the top 15 universities in Australia require an SOP explicitly written for their programs. The table below contains the list of Australian universities that require an SOP and the details to be included in those SOPs:
|University||Details to be included in the SOP|
|University of Melbourne||
|University of New South Wales, Sydney||
|University of Wollongong||
Common Mistakes to avoid while writing an SOP for Australia
Unlike SOPs for Canada, the USA, and the UK, SOPs for Australia have been explicitly written for the visa application as part of the Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) protocol. The SOP is the determining factor for being granted an Australian student visa. These are the common mistakes to avoid while writing an SOP for Australia:
- Even though the requirement of an SOP for Australia is a maximum of 3 pages, students should make sure to include only the relevant information (as prescribed by the SOP requirements) and not add extra information to make the SOP look flashy or overreaching.
- Do not submit the same SOP for the visa application and the university. If required, Students should explicitly write the SOP for the Australian university and the chosen program. In contrast, an SOP for an Australian visa will include the university and courses information and all the key elements like personal details, financial details, reasons for choosing Australia, future goals, and travel history.
- Do not send in SOPs that have not been checked for grammatical errors. The last thing that the authorities want to read is a badly written SOP. Make sure that a reputable third party verifies the SOP for any grammatical or factual errors.
- Do not include any information that cannot be substantiated by supporting documents. As discussed above, an SOP for Australia should be fact-based and objective. Any information that the authorities cannot verify may result in the SOP being rejected altogether.
SOP Sample for Australia
An SOP Sample for Australia is outlined below for your reference:
I chose to pursue a Master's program in Business Analytics because I have an extensive interest in technology as well as its impact on business management. I am fascinated by the way people use their analytical skills to evaluate their past business performance and formulate future strategies. Understanding business performance and gaining new insights with the help of statistically derived data and methods has motivated me to pursue a master's program at your University in Business Analytics. This degree will enable me to gain expertise in using statistical and analytical methodologies and in making sound decisions.
My fascination with business-related subjects started in high school. Besides, I was also curious as to how different businessmen manage to maintain an organized business. Their successful business models intrigued me, and I was always keen on understanding the approaches used by them. In order to gain more knowledge about this subject, I purposely chose a Bachelor of Commerce as my undergrad degree, in which most of the subjects dealt with business management. During my undergraduate career, I developed a greater interest in Business Information Systems and Information Technology. Increasingly, I realized that technology is essential in making the right business decisions.
Soon after graduating from undergrad, I was fortunate to have an opportunity to enter the corporate world and acquire knowledge in the field of information technology and business information systems. The XXX company hired me as its junior assistant. Working in this role gave me the opportunity to interact with business management people and develop business ideas. I was also interested in learning about computer systems at the same time. Therefore, I enrolled in a part-time postgraduate degree course in Computer Applications at a reputable institution in my country. At this time, I was working and studying simultaneously. Over the course of my professional career, I have worked for numerous multinational companies and have acquired more than 12 years of ERP software experience.
Currently, I am working with the YYY company as a Senior Consultant. This role requires me to be involved in every stage of the software development life cycle, from requirement gathering to design, analysis, development, and discussion with clients. In addition to official projects, I have attended numerous workshops, seminars, and conferences during the years, enhancing my information systems experience exponentially. For my career to keep up with the information technology industry, I would like to upgrade my skills in the field of business analytics by pursuing a master's degree. I believe this formal degree will help me to gain a deeper understanding of improving business performance, creating effective business plans, and increasing my knowledge of information systems and advanced analytical tools.
As a result of extensive research and consulting with many people, I was convinced that Australia is the best place to study for my higher education. Around the world, Australia's education system is recognized for its high standards. I will be able to improve my career prospects by learning in such a place. Furthermore, the environment is safe, secure, and peaceful, making it an ideal place to study for an international student. Getting the chance to network with peers from multicultural backgrounds will be an invaluable experience for me in Australia.
For my master's studies, I selected your university because it is among the top-ranked international universities. It is ranked third in the state of Victoria and 12th in Australia. The university boasts the largest campus in the Southern Hemisphere, as well as many facilities, including a library, restaurants, shops, banks, and an art gallery. The university is also home to the Melbourne Wildlife Sanctuary. The campus has a variety of sports and recreation facilities, including an indoor stadium, a swimming pool, playing fields, a gym, and football training facilities. Aside from all these facilities, what really attracts me to this university is its well-structured curriculum, which will allow me to gain an understanding of the latest trends and technologies. I will also gain a deeper understanding of team organization, information, business processes, and technology, improving productivity, decision making, resolving challenges, communicating, and coordinating. By receiving this specialized learning, I will be able to make important decisions and introduce innovative processes in my country.
A degree from your university, which boasts high education standards on an international level, will enhance my credentials. This association with the university will enable me to gain an incredible opportunity to strengthen my career, focus on multicultural issues, and learn more about the Business Analytics field with a global mindset. I would be grateful if I get an opportunity to pursue a Master's program in Business Analytics at your esteemed university.