IIT Bombay is recognized worldwide as a leader in the field of engineering education and research. Find out the QS World Ranking, eligibility criteria, and admission details.
One of the most discussed topics about the IITs in the country is the IIT Bombay Ranking in World 2021. Established in 1958, the second of its kind, IIT Bombay was the first university in India to be set up with foreign assistance. The funds from UNESCO came as Roubles from the then Soviet Union. In 1961 Parliament declared the IITs to be "Institutes of National Importance." Since then, IIT Bombay has grown to emerge as one of the top technical universities in the world.
Table of Contents
QS University IIT Bombay Ranking in World 2021
IIT Bombay has secured the first position in India and the 49th globally in Engineering and Technology with an overall score of 79.9 out of 100 in the Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) World University Rankings by subject for 2021. In addition, IIT Bombay is India's highest-ranked university among the top 200 global universities, with IIT Bengaluru and IIT Delhi also securing a place in the 200-bracket, according to the QS World University Rankings 2021. The table below shows all the rankings by QS World Rankings 2021, given to IIT Bombay.
|QS World University Ranking||49|
|QS WUR By Subject Ranking||41|
|Ranking in India||1|
|Asian University Ranking||34|
IIT Bombay Ranking in World 2021 QS Ranking Parameters
QS World University Rankings is a yearly publication of university rankings that consists of the global overall and subject rankings. The ranking helps students identify the name of the world’s top universities to study in 48 different subjects, five composite faculty areas, and in different countries like Asia, Latin America, Emerging Europe, and Central Asia, and the Arab Region. The QS World University Rankings is the most widely read university rankings in the world. According to the QS World Ranking, the universities are ranked based on the following parameters.
- Academic Reputation (40%): This parameter is the highest weighting of any metric allotted to an institution. Based on QS’s Academic Survey, it collects the expert opinions of over 100,000 individuals in the higher education space related to quality teaching and research at the world’s universities. This survey has grown to become the world’s largest survey of academic opinion. In terms of size and scope is an unparalleled and very informative means of measuring sentiment in the academic community.
- Employer Reputation (10%): The parameter follows how successful institutions are at providing preparation for the employment market. It is essential for a ranking with the primary audience being the global student community. The Employer Reputation metric is based on around 50,000 responses to the QS Employer Survey and asking employers to identify the institutions from which they source the most competent, innovative, and effective graduates.
- Faculty/Student Ratio (20%): The teaching quality is cited in the highest importance by students when comparing institutions using a ranking. This parameter assesses the extent to which global institutions can provide students with meaningful access to lecturers and tutors. This also recognizes that a very high number of faculty members per student will ultimately reduce the teaching burden on each academic.
- Citation per faculty (20%): This parameter measures the institutional research quality, calculated by taking the total number of citations received by the number of faculty members at that institution in all papers produced by an institution across five years.
- International Faculty Ratio/International Student Ratio (5%): This parameter measures the international brand reputation of an institution. The percentage provides students with international sympathies and global awareness, which are some of the soft skills increasingly valuable to employers in present times. Both of these metrics are worth 5% each of the overall total.
IIT Bombay World Ranking 2021 in Each Parameter
IIT Bombay ranks 49th in the world, with an overall score of 79.9 out of 100. Among the six parameters, Employer Reputation is the strongest for IIT Bombay. For more information on the parameters, refer to the table below.
|Citation per faculty||53.1|
Among the several other ranking factors, the employer reputation is the strongest for IIT Bombay but lacks an international outlook. For more information on the parameters, refer to the table below.
|Citation per Paper||80.5|
|Faculty staff with PhD||96|
|Papers per Faculty||95.6|
IIT Bombay Admission 2021
The IIT Bombay admission is made based on academic performance and entrance exam cutoffs set by the institutions.
- IIT Bombay admission to the B.Tech, B.Sc., and the B.Tech + M.Tech dual degree courses will be done based on the JEE Main, and JEE Advanced exams score.
- Admission to the B.Des course for the student in the design stream will be made based on the scores obtained in the UCEED examination.
- The selection will be made for the MBA program based on the score obtained in CAT and performance in the Written Aptitude Test and Personal Interview rounds conducted by IITB.
- Admission to the M.Sc and M.Sc + Ph.D. program will be done based on the IIT JAM score obtained by applicants. For the M.Des program, admission will be granted based on the score secured in the CEED exam.
- Admission to the M.Phil program will be made based on the M.Phil Entrance Test, i.e., MET score.
- Admission to the Ph.D. program will be made based on the GATE/UGC-NET score and also the applicant’s performance in a written test and personal interview rounds.
Read more: IIT Bombay Courses.