The University College of Medical Sciences was founded in 1971 by the efforts of the then Health Minister of Delhi. The Health Ministry proposed to provide medical education to every student who attained the eligibility criteria to study medicine. Even with the presence of two Medical Colleges in Delhi - MAMC and LHMC, many students were left out and denied the opportunity to study medicine. In 1971, classes for the new college initially started in the makeshift Department of Chemistry in North Campus of University of Delhi. The students back then had their clinical postings for practicals at the Lala Lajpat Rai Memorial Medical College. Shortly afterwards, it was shifted to the Safdarjung Hospital in South Delhi. In 1986, UCMS shifted to its present location at Dilshad Garden and was associated with Guru Teg Bahadur Hospital.
Runs various medical and paramedical courses * Annual admission MBBS: 150, MD/MS: 71; besides PhD courses in Medical Faculty
Paramedical courses: BSc(Medical Technology), Radiography. Diploma course in Nursing (GTB Hospital), and Medical Laboratory In-service Training.
Guru Teg Bahadur Hospital is the associated teaching hospital with more than 1000 beds.
Known for its quality research; National ranking 7th based on the number of publications in PubMed indexed journals. * Meritorious/Eminent Faculty on expert groups of UNICEF, WHO, UNAIDS, World Bank, ICMR, ICMR, NACO, DST and CSIR.
Cater to the health care needs for the East Delhi community and surrounding border areas.
College with excellent results: Students excel in curricular/extracurricular activities.